Reload this Page >

Is Churchill's Britain at War hokey?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 04:36 AM
londonbound

What's the opinion on this exhibit? Hokey or informative? Taking kids to London for the 1st time - they're 14 and 11

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 05:04 AM
Scott K

I will say the cabinet war rooms are good for that age. Very informative

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 06:11 AM
ryan

Although it has been at least 14 years since I was there, the RAF Museum in Hendon, just outside London, may be of interest to teenagers.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 06:13 AM
Joanne

Haven't been to the Britain at War, but my 14 yo son enjoyed the Cabinet War Rooms, too. He got tired of museums, but the War Rooms, being a preserved actual site, got to his imagination. Also, the recorded tour guide "stick" is very good.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 07:15 AM
david west

Britain at War in Tooley st is hokey (think madam tussauds with gasmasks).<BR><BR>The Cabinet War Rooms are great, very evocative.<BR><BR>THe Imperial War Museum is the best of the lot (and free!), and has a cracking exhibition on the Blitz with interactive stuff.<BR><BR>I loved the RAF museum too.<BR><BR>The Army Museum in Chelsea is for hardcore miltary enthusiasts. <BR><BR>Also bear in mind that the Regiments have their own museums which can be very good.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:22 AM
kitty

I also endorse the Cabinet War Rooms and the Imperial War Museums for kids. Last summer my kids were 12 and 8 and both enjoyed these museums, especially the Imperial Wa Museum. Very interesting place. Don't know anything about the Britain at War exhibit.<BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:40 AM
Marc David Miller

Due to my obsessive nature I would recommend (and have been) to both, although the Britain at War exhibits are a bit "wax museum"-like. <BR><BR>The Cabinet War Rooms were the subject of a recent documentary on The Discovery Channel or A&E or the History Channel--as a Churchill fan I recommend the show for at least the 14 year old.<BR><BR>I also agree about the Imperial War Museum--well done exhibits, I could imagine the V-1 as the ultimate weapon of hate.<BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:53 AM
jim

Imperial war museum is not free as I recall, but quite inexpensive. Wonderful neighborhood to walk around in. Good pub down street. Very hands on, kids can climb on and around many of the exhibits. If my memory serves me correctly, building is old mental hospital that gave name to Bedlam.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:18 AM
Joanne

The Imperial War Museum, like many others in England, is now free because of changes in tax laws. Others include the V&A, Museum of Natural History, and Museum of London.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 07:42 PM
londonbound

Where can I find info on the Cabinet War rooms? Not in my books

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:03 PM
Marc David Miller

If anyone wishes an article about The Cabinet War Rooms, please email me with your email address and I will forward it (I am a member of the International Churchill Societies and am happy to fan appreciation for the Great Man).

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:36 AM
Lookiehere

Duh, londonbound, you don't have to rely just on your travel books, there is this wonderful invention called the Internet where you can use these wonderful things called search engines to find out just about anything, especially if you actually know the name of a place like "Cabinet War Rooms". <BR><BR>And this is one of the big attractoins, you must be using a picturebook like Dorling-Kindersley rather than a real guidebook.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:02 AM
Anne

Lookiehere, are you as big an ass in operson as you are on the web?

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:08 AM
Lookiehere

So, Annie, be honest -- what was YOUR first reaction to a person who's sitting there communicating with us on the internet but can't figure out how to get info from anyplace but a book? I don't see YOU providing any handy-dandy links -- you must be expecting this idiot to look it up himself, too! <BR><BR>Mark David Miller had to write a separate message offering to send this idiot his article, what a sport, and londonbound probably didn't check David White's site that's in his sig, either. I stand by my "Duh."

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:52 AM
xxx

The website for the cabinet war rooms is http://www.iwm.org.uk/cabinet/index.htm<BR>There are links at the bottom of the page for the Imperial War Museum and HMS Belfast.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Judy

Thanks all for reminding me about the Imperial War Museum. It has great web site, and my husband(me too) is thrilled about going.... a good rainy day activity(or not). My father was stationed in Britain In WWII, and was quite taken with the people and country. It should be a moving experience for me.<BR>Judy

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:13 AM
teddie

Took our 14 year old to London for a first time visit 2 weeks ago...he found the Imperial War Museum (free admission)to be really cool..there's a great hands-on exhibit on submarines, and the main entrance hall is enticing as all get out, with static displays of planes, tanks, and rockets. I also vote for the Cabinet War Rooms (your kids will be free up to age 15. I was amazed at how involved he was in this--each person gets their own audiophone to carry, and the tour is completely self-guided following the narration provided by the phone. It is not to be missed!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:32 AM
Philip

I have been to both the Cabinet War Rooms and the Britain At War Museum. <BR><BR>The Cabinet War Rooms give a history of the war from the perspective of Winston Churchill and his underground operations and how the war was run from those claustrophobic rooms. <BR><BR>The Britain At War museum deals more with the human experience of the war, i.e. exhibits on food rationing, clothing rationing, general living in wartime conditions, etc. The exhibits contain actual possessions donated by people who experienced the war first hand.<BR><BR>I think both museums are informative it's just a matter of what aspect you want to focus on.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:37 PM
Russ

Cab.war rooms& IWM good takes for your boys. Excellent day or 1/2 day trip-train to Cambridge get free shuttle bus to Duxford Air Museum from train station. Best Air museum I have seen. Has new US air museum on wwII airfield.Worth the 1 hr train ride.<BR>Train from Kings Cross.I plan to take my eamily this Mo. enjoy

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:39 PM
Russ

Cab.war rooms& IWM good takes for your boys. Excellent day or 1/2 day trip-train to Cambridge get free shuttle bus to Duxford Air Museum from train station. Best Air museum I have seen. Has new US air museum on wwII airfield.Worth the 1 hr train ride.<BR>Train from Kings Cross.I plan to take my eamily this Mo.Tp both Churchill's Mus and Duxford. enjoy