Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is Bellagio overrun with tourists? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-bellagio-overrun-with-tourists-640121/)

jbh555 Aug 18th, 2006 09:48 AM

Is Bellagio overrun with tourists?

We are going to Como next week and can't decide between staying in Bellagio or Varenna.We have a reservation at Hotel Florence but it dosn't have air condioning. Is this a problem?? Has anyone been there lately? Also, is one night at Villa d'Este REALLY worth $700.00???

PalQ Aug 18th, 2006 09:53 AM

All during August and even in September when i was on the lake and visited Bellagio a few times it was a complete zoo - every boat coming in ejaculating hoardes of day trippers who overwhelmed the tiny town - of course at night they're all gone and you'll probably be elsewhere during the day.
But yes this is nearly as bad as Portofino in terms of elbow-elbow tourists in the day.

BTilke Aug 18th, 2006 10:24 AM

In August, it's busy busy busy. But I've been there in May and it was moderately busy during the day and surprisingly quiet at night. It's not over-run all the time.
As for airco, check the weather forecast. If it's not going to be too hot and you are not one of those people who need airco at night, it should be ok.
As to the Villa d'Este being worth it, well that depends on your taste and your budget.

Weadles Aug 18th, 2006 11:29 AM

We just got back from Bellagio two weeks ago. It was a huge disappointment. Although the views of the lake and mountains are gorgeous, town was overrun with throngs of tourists, many of whom seemed to have left their manners at home.

The shops themselves sold mostly mediocre things that we'd seen for much less almost everywhere else in Italy. And the food, I'm sorry to say, for the most part was among the worst we've had in about half a dozen trips to Italy.

I honestly got the feeling that I was on a Disney set that was supposed to "seem Italian." That's how awful it was. Rven the locals and shopowners seemed frazzled and out of whatever enthusiam they may have had for the crowds at the beginning of the summer.

So yes, my vote would certainly be for Varenna. However, judging from the crowded boat we took there one day for lunch, you won't be alone.

And I would definitely advise you to seek a hotel with air conditioning, athough as you may know, many hotels turn it off or way down at night. While we were there, it was very sunny, hot and humid in the day, with nearly nightly thunderstorms.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad tidings, but I guess it's better to know. Just to give you one last example of how created for tourism the town has become- one of the main jewelry stores is called "WELCOME TO YOU". With prices to match.

PalQ Aug 18th, 2006 11:32 AM

Weadles - my sentiments exactly - we may find the Bellagio in Vegas more appetizing!

BTilke Aug 18th, 2006 11:53 AM

Mid-May sounds like the best time to be there...it wasn't crowded, the temperature was mild but not hot, and the flowers were in full bloom. While I enjoyed my meal at Bilacus, it wasn't the rave experience I had been expecting. The lunch on the lakefront terrace garden at the Hotel Florence was superb, however. And I thought my room with its little balcony was delightful.
Perhaps the OP should consider someplace like Ascona in the Swiss Ticino instead for an August visit.

SurferX Aug 18th, 2006 12:04 PM

I agree 100% with Weadles. Bellagio is a very pretty shopping center which is often crowded elbow-to-elbow with tourists.

Visiting Bellagio and thinking you are experiencing Italy is like visiting Disney World and thinking you are experiencing the US.

mr_go Aug 18th, 2006 12:15 PM

Is it overrun with tourists? Yes.
Is it still worth seeing anyway? Yes.

But I was kinda glad to daytrip there and go 'home' to Mennagio afterward. A little more Italian, a little less frantic.

Big_Red Aug 18th, 2006 12:36 PM

You have several options for towns to sleep in, but none area as convenient as Varenna, Bellagio, or Menaggio. Have you considered Menaggio?

On the lake front, a short distance north of Varenna is the town of Bellano. We visited there breifly in June 2005. The boat service is not as frequent as the other towns, but you could train or possibly take a taxi to Varenna. There are two three star hotels in Ballano. So you might research Bellano.

IMO Villa d'este at $700 is not worth it.

SurferX Aug 18th, 2006 01:50 PM

Right across the lake from Bellagio is the little town of Lenno. Regular water taxi stops. Not a single American tourist. Quiet all day long. Beautiful little harbor where locals holiday. I'm somewhat reluctant to mention it here.

Jean Aug 18th, 2006 06:38 PM

But if you're going next week, you'd better stick with your reservation at the Hotel Florence.

shannie Aug 18th, 2006 06:51 PM

We were Lierna early July just 5 mins from Varenna in a rented villa which was perfect. We went across to Bellagio and thought we were dropped into a tourist invasion. Friends were staying there for 3 nights at great expense for ordinary room. Thought Vareena looked beautiful-still a few tourists but more quaint.
Cheers
Shannie

annw Aug 18th, 2006 09:08 PM

We had a wonderful and relaxing week in Bellagio last September, renting a self-catering apt. at Villa Serbelloni.

However, we spent most of our time at the top of the "hill" where the local types shop are (cheese shop, fruits and vegetables store, pastry shop, etc. and where the church is, with the great cafe across from it.

We did enjoy the walking along the promenade, but mainly in the evening, after the daytrippers left.

Sampaguita Aug 18th, 2006 09:16 PM

I can't tell you about the crowds, but Bellagio and Como are definitely must see on most tourist agenda's so at end of August and September, don't expect it to be empty. IMO Maggiore is less crowded, Orta used to be, but it too has been "discovered"

However for those who can't sleep with air-con, not to worry, true end-July, early August was quite hot, but nature has turned down the thermostat in N.Italy, its now more like September, we are even using blankets now as nights are a cool 60 F, freezing by summer standards, just leave your windows open. ((S))