Is Athens a nice city to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend was just in Athens for business and she told me that she didn't like it at all. She recommended I spend as little time there as possible on my summer 2005 trip. Is Athens THAT horrendous??
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Your friend is right. Everything in Athens is very old. I just can't understand why don't they level the whole city and built a New Athens.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:05 PM

Very funny~,,,,,,,,, Athens is gorgeous...and interesting , historical, and special in it's own way!!! and certainly well worth a visit on your 2005 trip! Can't imagine anyone skipping it if they had a chance to see it.
EVERYPLACE has it's attributes.....
but there are some who only look for negative things. &gt
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:28 PM

I can not understand how people can bag Athens.Athens is a vibrant modern city with wonderful historical sites , the Parthenon is just awesome, the people are vibrant and friendly, the food great. It has a new ulta modern transport system { metro and tram }, and it is one of the most safest cities in the wortld. I always enjoy my stays in Athens and Greece. I have travelled extensively and I can highly recommend a visit there .
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:10 PM

I haven't been to Athens yet - will arrive on Aug. 31. But my husband is there now, and what he's had to say is very interesting. At first he was kind of shocked at the city - areas that were falling apart, abandoned buildings, the harsh, harsh sunlight, the heat, dust and dryness... Over the course of the last couple of weeks it has grown on him. He now likes it a lot, and says he's actually having a better time there than in Sydney Aus. in 2000. I am eagerly looking forward to getting my own taste of Athens.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 10:02 PM
lyb

Taggie,

Is your husband a huge Olympic fan or does he go to the Olympics because of work? I envy you going there.. going to an Olympic, winter or summer is on my list of things to do, unfortunately, each time it's been in the U.S. when it would have been easier, I either couldn't afford it or didn't have enough time off . I guess it's something I start to plan way in advance.

The next summer Olympics are in China, correct? Do you know where the next Winter Olympics are?
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 01:36 AM

I liked it, but then I enjoy everywhere I go. I have to confess that I've met very few other people who liked it. If you enjoy new places, heat and history, old architecture and surly people trying to rip you off (but that happens elsewhere too), then go for it. A meal at "To Gerami" in Tapedon St, eastern Plaka, was good too, after a tiring day around the Acropolis.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 01:42 AM

It's a fabulous city, warm, welcoming, full of character and history. Lots of Americans (in particular) don't appreciate it as they like everything to be flashy, "beautiful", modern, and impressive - grow up shallow people!

Athens is a far more intimate and interesting city than London or Paris in my opinion. I live in London, and the two don't compare - one is a mess without charm, the other is a bigger mess with charm.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 01:59 AM

With my previous post I wished to stress that if a person admits that Athens is "THAT horrendous" than most likely that city is not the most suitable for he/her.
For people with this area of interests, there are lots of touristic resourts with the sun and beach packages, with friendly English speaking staff, for a fraction of a cost of a Athens trip.
Greeks will miss Chrissem & friends, but I am sure they will survive.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:07 AM
dcespedes

lyb--winter olympics 2006 will be held in Torino, Italy.

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:04 AM

I think Athens is a fascinating city, and I can't imagine someone not finding enough to do for 2-3 days. As soon as the plane lands, you feel as though you are in a different place from other western European cities.
It's hard for me to understand why some people get on here and talk about some of these cities as "dumps", etc. I don't feel that way about any place we've visited in Europe.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:09 AM

Athens has some cool stuff (Acropolis, etc.-must see) and its good for a couple of days visit. I wouldn't go there for the city itself, but its fine as a stopping point before going out to the islands which are great.
As for the Londoner who considers it more intimate and interesting than Paris or London, logic has abandoned you, my friend.
M
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 08:47 AM
lyb

MKingdom,

I am getting so tired of all your generalization...that's right ALL Americans are shallow...I guess that's why we all like good dental work that the English don't like, that's why ALL English have rotten teeth.....Doesn't that sound stupid of me to say? I'll make you a deal, I'll make it my personal mission to make sure that all Americans stop being so shallow, if you actually grow up and stop making stupid generalizations!!!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 08:48 AM
lyb

dcespedes,

Thank you for the info. I guess I could force myself to plan a trip to Italy.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Hi lyb - we work in TV so my husband ends up in the Olympic cities for about 7-8 weeks before during and after. Gets only about 4 hours sleep a night during that time. On the bright side, he gets to all the main events and has seen some wonderful things over the course of the last 10 years or so. But, many times he actually starts to hate the city he's in; being away from home, exhaustion, dealing with problems, etc. I worked in Sydney and now I really understand what he has to deal with. By the end of it you just want to go home.

Next winter games are in Turin, Italy. The 2008 summer ones are in Beijing. Then 2010 comes to our hometown, Vancouver. 2012 is not decided - New York, Paris and London are inthe running. I lived in Calgary in 88 and attended many events as a spectator, and just loved it. I hope you get to go at least once!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Re: lyb

"Lots of Americans (in particular) ..."

Please note that the "in particular" enclosed in parentheses mean that I'm making a generalisation, but not damning the whole American nations, just those who are shallow.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:22 PM

I really enjoy Athens, but if you think it is going to be like London, Paris, or Rome, you will be disapointed. Only a few thousand people lived there up until WW1. Until recently it was a poor country. The apartments are like cigarette boxes lined up in vast numbers. But there are so many plesant streets that are lined with trees and where the occupants of the apartments have wonderful pots of flowers growing on their balconies. I expected the worse and was pleasantly surprised. Of coarse you will see the ancient sites, but after that, you need to get into the city and discover what it has to offer. I have so many memories of wonderful walks and dinners at lovely spots. But it is hot hot hot in the summer. Go in the fall or spring.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:43 PM

<i>&quot;Lots of Americans (in particular) don't appreciate it as they like everything to be flashy, &quot;beautiful&quot;, modern, and impressive - grow up shallow people!&quot;</i>

Pot calling the kettle black it seems. And so wrong. Why do you think so many Americans travel to Europe? It isn't for modern, flashy buildings - we have those here in the US. It's for the incredible history, experiencing different cultures, etc... Ignorant stereotypes only prove ones own shallow, small-minded character.

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:20 PM

I would say, yes, Athens is that horrendous. I found it also fascinating and enchanting and therefore think it's a mistake to rush through it. Just prepare to be underwhelmed upon arrival.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 08:12 PM

I liked everything about Athens..We had a great time last year...I heard so many bad things from this forum, that we just about didn't go..Sure glad we have our own minds because we we enjoyed every moment we were there and almost wished we had 1 more day...Sure it is an old city, but it's what you make of it...People are great, food is great, ambiance excellent, superb shopping. Our hotel was great..What more can you ask for..That is what travelling is all about..Seeing all sorts of things, good and bad and making the best of it...Keep a positive attitude and you will love it too..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -