Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is anything open in London on Christmas Day?

Dec 8th, 1997, 11:01 AM
linda i.

Husband, two children and I will be in London 12/23 through 12/26. On Christmas day we will attend church services at the American Lutheran Church. I imagine the city closes completely on Christmas..
Guess we'd better pack some board games for the hotel room? Does anyone know of another alternative?
Thank you.

Dec 9th, 1997, 05:36 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Linda: As a veteran of a number of Christmases in London (where I'm fortunate enough to have a sister living) I can tell you your church will be one of the VERY FEW places that are open. And that goes for December 26 (Boxing Day) as well. What a pity you're scheduled for the days you mentioned; London is such a busy, fascinating place at any other time. Sorry I can't be more cheerful. Joan

Dec 10th, 1997, 07:32 AM
Lolita

I'll be there at the same time. The one thing that I've found open on Dec. 26 is the London Zoo at Regent's Park.

Dec 11th, 1997, 08:54 PM
linda i.

Thank you Joan and Lolita for your comments. It's
still going to be fun to be in England for
Christmas. We are just going to have to plan another
trip soon. Thanks!

Dec 12th, 1997, 05:58 AM
Mark

I'll be there on New Years Day. Is it the same? How about West. Abbey? Do the West End Shows perform the night of the 1st?

Dec 12th, 1997, 05:59 AM
Mark

I'll be there on New Years Day. Is it the same? How about West. Abbey? Do the West End Shows perform the night of the 1st?

Dec 12th, 1997, 05:24 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Mark:
No, New Year's Day will be different in London as it is not an official holiday. Londoners may seem a bit hung-over that day because they celebrate the night before as we do. The difference is that they're expected to report to work next morning. Have fun--and Happy New Year! Joan

Dec 14th, 1997, 06:31 AM
George Holt

Rubbish! New Year's Day is a holiday in the UK and additionally January 2nd is a holiday in Scotland. No need for most of us Brits to turn up with a hangover.

Dec 15th, 1997, 06:53 AM
mark

Joan,
Do you know if the West End theatres perform the evening of 1/1? I'm only in town for 2 nights (1/1, 1/2) and I have tickets for the Ceremony of the Keys on 1/2. Thanks.

Jan 2nd, 1998, 05:19 AM
Linda I

p.s.
We ended up taking a Christmas tour on Christmas Day. It was great - no London traffic, we had the place to ourselves. The tour guide worked very hard to share as much information as possible. Saw the whole city, then to Windsor Castle for a tour of the surrounding area. We finished off with a very decent "turkey dinner" lunch with all the trimmings.
Christmas day turned out to be one of the most enjoyable for us.