Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is anyone thinking of engaging in the current promotion offered by Northwest Airlines called "The Great Race".

Is anyone thinking of engaging in the current promotion offered by Northwest Airlines called "The Great Race".

Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
rex
Original Poster

Accuse of me being a sucker, falling for this promotion - but basically it depends on (somewhat) frequent flyers on NWA (like me) recruiting others (like you?) who are NOT frequent flyers on Northwest - - but might be persuaded to take one (or more) flights (especially long ones) in the next few months.

Here's how it works: to enter the promotion requires a "team" of two, three or four players. Other than the team captain (me, for example), the other team members MUST NOT have earned any World Perks miles in the past two years (specifically, none since January 1, 2006). And team members cannot be minors.

We register as a team. Depending on how many total NW miles we fly between now and May 31 - - but particularly if we fly a total of 25000 miles, EACH team member gets a bonus of TWENTY THOUSAND miles in the World Perks FF program.

Now 25000 miles might sound like a lot. But if two other people, plus myself, simply made one roundtrip to Europe - - the goal is met. Each team member ends up with somewhere in the vicinity of 28000-ish to 34000 World Perks miles. That's almost enough for a PerkSaver free ticket to Hawaii!

A roundtrip Louisville-Dusseldorf (a very good connection, just to use one example) earns 8686 World Perks miles, or 26064 miles for a team of three. And available just about anytime you want go (for a weekend, for example - - or stay as long as you like) at a price of only $431, all-inclusive!

Air travel to Europe for only $431 and get (almost) a free ticket to Hawaii as a bonus? Isn't that just about a no-brainer?

Now, of course, there is no reason that the miles have to be earned by flying to Europe. Already planning to travel to Hawaii in the next few months? (or even better, Asia?) - - while the air fare is more expensive than Europe, any way you log the miles can get you eligibilty in the promotion, Even just all domestic (U.S.) air travel (though the trips must be ROUND trips - - no one way tickets count, and they must "pure NW or KLM" - -no flights on NW in one direction only and another carrier the opposite leg).

And of course, no requirement whatsoever that the team members have to travel together - - though it might be fun to put together a Fodorites weekend - - to anywhere in Europe (as long as NW/KLM flies there affordably).

The flights MUST be booked AFTER the team is "registered" - - so trips you have already booked this spring or winter can not be part of this (but maybe you're game to make another separate trip just to get all these miles!)

There is some other fine print, I think - - but this is the essence of the promotion.

Are you a NW/World Perks "virgin" (or at least for the last two years)? - - wanna know more about forming a team with me?

E-mail.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM

Rex, this is an interesting concept.

I don't think I can do this, because I have two major trips booked right now already (not on NW), but I'll ask questions anyway.

Does this work for Canadian residents? What if the Canadian resident flies out of Seattle (or another US airport)?

I did fly on Northwest last year, but I claimed the miles on Continental. I have 1000 points in my Northwest account because they gave that to me as a bonus for signing up for WorldPerks - probably several years ago. Does this disqualify me?
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
rex
Original Poster

Here are more details, and answers to your two specific questions...

https://www.nwa.com/cgi-bin/greatrac...greatrace.cta2

Specifically...

<< 2. Team captains and teammates must be at least 18 years old and have a WorldPerks mailing address in the United States or Canada. >>

and

<< 5. United States residents are eligible for both Bonus Miles and prizes awarded through this promotion. Canada residents are eligible for Bonus Miles only. >>

The latter does not rally apply, since I do not envision flying enough miles to compete for the prizes (plasma TV, some other trinkets to the team finishing with THE _most_ miles, second place, etc).

and... I don't think that your WP signup bonus mills, no matter when they were awarded to you, would siqualify you.

<< 3. Teammates must be WorldPerks members who have not earned WorldPerks miles for travel since January 1, 2006. >>

I added the bold for emphasis myself. Several flyertalk.com participants on the NWA forum have inquired, and received clarification from WorldPerks that earning miles for other things (car rentals, etc) do NOT disqualify team members.

SEA-DUS earns even more miles per dollar than Louisville... 11908, to be exact for $454 all taxes and fees included (looking at Feb 14-17, in particular). And of course, the bonus 20000 miles

Wanna give it a whirl? Your dinner in Dusseldorf the first night is my treat.

Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks, Rex. The dinner in Dusseldorf is tempting, but I simply cannot travel any more in February or March. I can definitely see this as a good deal, though.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
rex
Original Poster

April? I'm not sure how long fares will remain "low season", but the promotion goes until May 31!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:26 PM

Such a tempter! If I change my mind, I'll let you know. Maybe your team will fill up quickly.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
rex
Original Poster

topping...
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:52 AM

wish i could do this but canīt now.

good luck!
Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
rex
Original Poster

still hoping... remember - - there is no reason you have to fly soon. Just between now and May 31 (but not yet booked).

Could be an easy way to pickup 20,000 more-or-less free miles!
Jun 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM
rex
Original Poster

Follow-up - - for those (likely just a handful of you) who care.

I did ultimately find two guys going from LA to Germany, who were NWA "virgins". Their one trip brought in 12000 miles per person. I added about 9000 miles of my own, with three trips to Montana this spring. The two "team mates" and I all did indeed earn the 20,000 bonus (each, not split).