COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is anyone having second thoughts about their trip since the evacuation warning was issued to americans living or traveling abroad?

Is anyone having second thoughts about their trip since the evacuation warning was issued to americans living or traveling abroad?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Monica

My trip to Rome isn't until April, but I'm starting to worry. Are there any fodorites who are worried, or reconsidering? it is a lot of money to lose, but what if things get a lot worse with what's going on with Iraq?

Lift my spirits, please!!!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:56 PM
xxx

I will post this anonymously while I still can as I know I will get flamed for my response. We are supposed to do a grand tour of Italy also in May. Have already booked the tour several months ago but now am holding off on the airfare as who knows what state we'll be in a few months from now. I don't care about anti american remarks as i'm italian and look like a local res but I don't want to go if it will be dangerous. But then again staying home is dangerous too, I will not cancel my plans unless things get really, really, bad and god willing everything will end up okay. If i'm gonna go I'd rather go doing something I love rather than being a fraidy cat.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 02:55 AM
xxx

Actually, I am. I am supposed to be visiting the US at the end of February and this situation is making me nervous. I would much rather stay safely at home in Europe. And yes, I am American.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 02:58 AM
PB

The warning is aimed at those Americans living in sensitive or dangerous areas... we certainly haven't been advised to head for the hills here in Europe (and we're registered with the Embassy). I have no plans to "evacuate"... I feel safer here in France than I would back in the States, although I plan to visit there in a few weeks.

PB

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 03:06 AM
doublexxx

We're a little worried about traveling. Unlike xxx we look very much like Americans and we are worried about being unwelcome in Europe. It would sure take a lot of the enjoyment out of the trip if we're getting dirty looks and hearing a lot of "!#?&***#44$ Yankee go home" behind our backs (or to our faces). Frankly, I don't fear physical attacks or terrorist activities overseas, it's just as likely to happen here.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 04:21 AM
John

From the above posts it looks like the terrorist threat is working for some. People are afraid to travel. As for me, in May I will be traveling from Memphis to England, Wales and Scotland, and return. No #$*%#& terrorist or threat of war will deter me. As for looking like an American, I do and I am. This will be my umpteenth trip abroad and I have always been treated like a fellow traveler where ever I went.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 04:47 AM
z

John, I feel along those lines. Last December I accompanied my husband to Paris. I read warnings of not wearing sneakers, stay out of McDonalds. For the first time in all the times I've been to Europe I wore sneakers and have lunch at McDonalds a couple of times. I was/am %^&$# pissed (sorry, upset) about the control and impact assasins and terrorists attempt to have on the way I chose to enjoy a country that's not even theirs. Whether this would had made me more of a target, well people sitting at their desks at the World Trade Center weren't calling attention to themselves, were they? When is your time to go, you go. Not earlier, not later.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:10 AM
cmt

It's not an "evacuation warning." Here's what it actually says:

http://travel.state.gov/general_advice.html

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Rex

Currently still planning a trip to Austria, Poland and the Czech republic in May with my wife and three daughters.

On my first trip to Europe in 1969, we were at war in Vietnam. Darn near at war in the US, from what I remember of Chicago 1968 and Kent state 1970.

If I was supposed to worry, I didn't know it.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:34 AM
gb

I've thought about this too. We're planning atrip this summer to Italy with two teenage daughters. Unless safety is a serious issue at the time, we will go. I've thought about negative comments to us and wondered if we should expose our children to that. Travel is not only entertainment, it is education. Since our children are old enough to understand where any negative comments are coming from, I think it is a good lesson to learn. After all, they will be the leaders of the future, and their understanding can be passed onto otherrs.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:55 AM
uhoh

We're still planning our 2 weeks in France this May. The only thing that might keep us from going is if something truly horrible were to happen to one of our grown children. One lives in NYC and the other is a U.S. Marine who is leaving for Kuwait at the end of the month. I am truly not sure where I stand on a potential war (some sort of military action appears to be inevitable), but I have to put my trust in my country's leaders whatever way it goes. (And there are some I trust far less than others...but this is the administration that is currently in power.)

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:04 AM
xxx

I'm really amazed at the people who seem to think that Europeans are going to stand around and throw insults and jeer at them simply because they are Americans. If Europeans scorned Americans publicly for what their government does, Americans would have stopped going to Europe long ago!!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Bill R

I've been delaying a pleasure trip from the US to Europe not because of State Dept travel advisories but because of the rotten economy here. I can't rationalize letting go of my money right now for a trip when it very well could be needed for more essential things down the road. If and when there is a war, I think the economy will get even worse.

IMO this travel advisory was more likely issued to make Iraqi leadership edgy than to warn travelers or ex-pats.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:47 AM
joyce

Me,too, BillR

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Terry

No way am I changing my plans. I'm going to Paris in March and that's it. I've always been a gutsy person and at my age I'm not about to change. And I'll wear my America's Cup 1995 jacket with the flag on it. I'm not about to run around pretending I'm not an American.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Mark

Frankly I would be more worried about the cost of my trip going up(not terrorists) due to the rapidly depreciating US Dollar.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Joanne

I have no plans of not going to Europe this spring, war or no war. I do worry about the devaluation of American money.

Reading these post, I wondered just what an American was suppose to look like, something they seemed to know and I don't?

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Virginia

The communication issued by the US State Department is not an "evacuation warning" - I can't even imagine where you got the idea of calling it that.

It is a reminder for US citizens LIVING abroad to take "precautionary measures" - most of them measures that the State Department (and the UK Foreign Office and the equivalent in most "western" countries) already advise citizens living abroad to follow. This type of announcement is routinely issued by the US, UK, etc. in times of potential or actual upheaval.

This advice is not intended for short-term travellers who plan a brief (weeks or months) visit to one or more foreign countries but will remain residents of the US. As a traveller you'd be far better off reasing the State Department advisories which whichever country or countries you plan to visit, and you might read the 'Worldwide Travel Advisory'issued on Nov 20, 2002 (if you haven't already).

I don't mean to sound cranky, but this type of message seems irresponsible to me. People who have family and friends overseas might be quite alarmed to scan the thread titles here and see that an 'evacuation warning was issued to Americans living or travelling abroad' - especially when they discover their friends and family living abroad know nothing about it!!

Please make sure, before you post something like this, that you have your facts straight (and this goes for everyone - there have been several threads here lately, not just this one). Someone posted the State Department Travel page URL above, but I'll post it again: http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html.

Thanks.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Bob Brown

You xx.xxers are amusing. You are like a little boy who sticks his tongue out at people and then hides behind his mother, provided she is wearing a skirt long enough to conceal him.

I think I shall start digging a hole in my backyard so I will have a place to put my bomb shelter.

I agree on the decline of the dollar.
And it may well get worse because of our bungling foreign trade policies.
My trip is already 15% more expensive than it was last year!!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 01:29 PM
traveler

Come on Joan, it's real easy to pick out who the americans are while abroad. The overweight, underdressed and confused looking ones = ) I'm not trying to be sour it's just that I think we stick out like sore thumbs. I'll still go though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO