Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is anyone finding good fares from Boston, MA USA to Paris in late June? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-anyone-finding-good-fares-from-boston-ma-usa-to-paris-in-late-june-880227/)

LostinBoston Mar 2nd, 2011 03:15 PM

Is anyone finding good fares from Boston, MA USA to Paris in late June?

On Expedia, I'm finding $1200 rt fares from 6/24 returning 0n 7/7.
Ouch!
Is anyone finding any bargains??
Many thanks,
Joe

cw Mar 2nd, 2011 03:27 PM

You might try Icelandair. We flew with them from Boston to Paris a few years ago (with a stop in Iceland) and they were cheaper than the major carriers.

oliverandharry Mar 2nd, 2011 03:44 PM

I'm flying Icelandair Boston to Paris, but we leave June 7 and return on June 23. That was the last day before the fares really went UP so that's what I booked - for $808. Can you go earlier? The fares this year seem to be just stupid expensive and I'll be da---d if I'll pay more to get to Europe than my last three flights to Australia!

LostinBoston Mar 2nd, 2011 04:29 PM

To Oliver and Harry Unfortunately, my wife and I are locked into her teaching job schedule - she has to be at her school until June 23rd. It might even get worse, if there are any really heavy snowstorms that cause school closing, the school tacks another day onto the final date.
Oh Well...........

Ackislander Mar 3rd, 2011 01:12 AM

Because of the snow day issue, I don't see how you can even reserve tickets, assuming you will want to get nonrefundable tickets for the price.

We have taken Icelandair from BOS before. They have a number of less popular destinations in Europe that might be cheaper than Paris. Louvain is one that springs to mind. What would it cost to fly there and then take the train to Paris?

The other possibility is to book an "airfare and hotel" package from one of the online sites. There was a good article about this in the NY Times travel section last week.

Finally, we went to Rome last fall with a group sponsored by the "Show of the Month Club" in Boston. We got nonstop airline tickets, five nights and breakfasts in a hotel, and airport bus transfers for less than the cost of tickets we could book on our own.

Good luck!

Ackislander Mar 3rd, 2011 01:12 AM

Because of the snow day issue, I don't see how you can even reserve tickets, assuming you will want to get nonrefundable tickets for the price.

We have taken Icelandair from BOS before. They have a number of less popular destinations in Europe that might be cheaper than Paris. Louvain is one that springs to mind. What would it cost to fly there and then take the train to Paris?

The other possibility is to book an "airfare and hotel" package from one of the online sites. There was a good article about this in the NY Times travel section last week.

Finally, we went to Rome last fall with a group sponsored by the "Show of the Month Club" in Boston. We got nonstop airline tickets, five nights and breakfasts in a hotel, and airport bus transfers for less than the cost of tickets we could book on our own.

Good luck!

Gretchen Mar 3rd, 2011 03:31 AM

Ack is right about Icelandair flying to less popular destinations--look at Luxembourg. It is a 3 hour train ride to Paris, and they used to arrange tickets for you.
AND when the fares are so expensive, sometimes the air and hotel option is a possibility. You are paying "double" for the room, but break out the cost of the air fare you would have to pay and you'll get the hotel room cost, and sometimes it works out to be a good deal.

qwovadis Mar 3rd, 2011 03:57 AM

www.eurotrip.com/content/airtech-specials

only cheap way I know to get over in high season

if you can be flexible.

www.kayak.com/buzz good site to play around on

with best fares by month.

Happy Hunting not many bargains in June/July usually.

NYC PAR can save if you can leave from there

www.betterbidding.com saves on nice hotels from $80 or so.

Viajero2 Mar 3rd, 2011 04:17 AM

Try to get to London or Dublin (Aer Lingus) and then get an intra-Europe flight (RyanAir, Vueling, etc...).