Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is anyone familiar with the Hertz rental location at CNIT la Defense, Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-anyone-familiar-with-the-hertz-rental-location-at-cnit-la-defense-paris-352783/)

MEinPG Aug 28th, 2003 12:21 PM

Is anyone familiar with the Hertz rental location at CNIT la Defense, Paris?

I have a car rented at this location. The address is 4 Place la Defense, Passage du Ponant but it does not come up on pagesjaunes, viamichelin or maporama? I would like to know where it is in relation to a metro stop. Hertz is of little help and I cannot change the location because the rate has increased a 100 euros since I booked it. Thanks!!

swalter518 Aug 28th, 2003 12:33 PM

I'm not familiar with that exact address but Place de la Defense is at the "far" end of the Champs Elysee past the Arc de Triomphe. It's a big business area with lots of sky scrapers and I believe there is a La Defense Metro stop.

Andre Aug 28th, 2003 12:45 PM

MEinPG,

The Hertz office is located in the shopping plaza of the CNIT convention center, quite convenient to the "La Defense" metro line 1 & RER line A stop. Just follow signs for the CNIT.

Hope this helps,
Andre

indytravel Aug 28th, 2003 07:20 PM

Make sure you buy the right ticket if you take the RER. La Defense is outside the normal zones of the Paris metro and requires a more expensive ticket. If you take the Metro, which takes a few minutes more, a regular ticket works just fine.

Andre Aug 29th, 2003 12:19 AM

Indytravel makes an excellent point - La Defense is the only station in Paris with such a strange zone setup - it's in zone 1 for the Metro but zone 2 for the RER.

Hope this helps,
Andre

MEinPG Aug 29th, 2003 09:11 AM

It has been a great help to know that I am looking for the CNIT convention center and the metro info. Thanks everyone!

Christina Aug 29th, 2003 11:36 AM

I don't know if it's in an official different zone, just that the metro ticket works for all metro stops regardless of where they are. That's my understanding, and I thought the whole zone map and concept was developed for the RER, not the metro. There are other metro stops outside RER zone 1, also, but the metro ticket covers them as I think a metro ticket covers any metro stop. I thought there were a lot of metro stops on the southern end of Paris that are in RER zone 2 (Mairie d'Ivry, Villejuif Louis Aragon, Chatillon MOntrouge, etc.).

I wasn't aware that you could buy an RER ticket or pass for only zone 1, though. Although if you didn't know that and tried to use a metro ticket on the RER line there, I guess that wouldn't work.

Andre Aug 29th, 2003 11:47 AM

MEinPG,
You're very welcome!

Christina,
You can use a normal "zone urbaine" ticket (the ones you get for the metro and bus) on the RER within Zone 1 as well (say from St. Michel to Denfert Rochereau). The only difference is that you need to feed your ticket into the turnstile at the exit as well.

What I meant about La Defense being strange is that the SAME stop is reachable from Paris by metro (hence with a zone 1 / zone urbaine ticket), and the RER, but only with a zone 2 ticket if you take the RER. AFAIK there's no other other station in Paris with a similar setup.

Hope this helps,
Andre