Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Is anyone familiar with the Heritage Pass in Ireland?

Is anyone familiar with the Heritage Pass in Ireland?

Oct 1st, 2003, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Is anyone familiar with the Heritage Pass in Ireland?

I have picked that name up on a couple of sites, but have not been able to determine a factual description. Wasn't sure if this was a pass offering discounts to museums, etc. or other. Thanks for any help!
Oct 1st, 2003, 08:55 PM

Yes, we bought a pair at the first Heritage Site we arrived at. The card is from the Irish government's Duchas agency. Turned out to be an excellent value at 19Euro each. Admissions to most of the major historical sites, like Glendalough, Rock of Cashel, Kilkenny Castle, Kilmainham Gaol, Cahir Castle, Trim Castle, Newgrange, and a substantial list are included in that one time cost of the card. The card's good for a year.

The website has a list of the sites included. They give you a nice guide book to the sites with the card. Don't go by the per site prices on the website, those are out of date.

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Splash.html
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful! Thanks for info. We aren't leaving for another 6 weeks. Can you think of any reason not to prepay it and get it now?
Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:04 AM

I have bought the Heritage Cards before and loved them but there is a caveat: time.

The dates that you will be there means that many of the sites that are Duchas (say /doo cuss/, only fast) run will not be open. If you are going for an extended period, will return within 12 months of purchase date or are going as a family (2 adults, 2 children) then these cards *at this time* are really not for you.

They are brilliant, especially if you will be there in the summer months when everything is open though. So unless you are planning on going to at least 3 Duchas sights AND are certain those sights are open when you will be there then there's no real reason to buy the cards as you won't be saving yourself much if anything.

Also, you can buy them at the first Duchas sight you go to and look through the booklet & brochure then noting opening times -- no need to buy them beforehand.

can also be found through

http://www.duchas.ie/

Cheers,
Wendy
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:07 AM

Wendy pretty much said what I would have, that they're just so easy to get once there, that I wouldn't pre-buy them. No significant reasons to ait until there, but a few minor ones:
No postal costs, can't be lost in the mail, can't be forgotten and remembered once on the plane heading for Eire.

It really is easy to buy there. You walk up to the same little counter or desk you have to go to anyway and say "I'd like to buy the Heritage Card please", give them your name and hand them 19 Euros and you're not only done, but you just did the admission for the site you're at. Wendy's also right, 3 sites is about the break even point, but I do believe a great number of those I listed are open year round for at least part of the day.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Another agent from my office is doing basically the same trip I am but mid Oct. as opposed to mine in mid Nov. Using different tour companies to boot! But she is going to bring back for me the list of all participating properties to compare to what we are interested in. Thanks for the information. You can never have too much of it! (well... )

Search this Thread