Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Is an Italian rail pass worth it if you're a student?

Is an Italian rail pass worth it if you're a student?

Mar 24th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Debby

Is an Italian rail pass worth it if you're a student?

My son will be attending school in Siena for 10 weeks. He will only be able to travel from Fri to Sun. He's never been to itlay before, so I'm sure he will make numerous trips to Rome and the surrounding areas. You guys advised me against a rail pass, do you also agree one for Itlay is not necessary since he will be taking buses?

I'll listen to you as I usually do.

Debby

Mar 24th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Rex

Same criteria - - more or less - - as anyone else. Use railsaver.com but in general, it seems like a pass is mostly relevant for a traveling salesman. for traveling 200-300 miles EVERY day it's valid.

Effective use of a pass means traveling around too much. Travel around less, see where you are more.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 27th, 2002, 02:07 AM
topper

to the top

Mar 27th, 2002, 03:07 AM
ppp

Cheapest train option (2nd class on R and D trains) costs Euro 12.34 one way. Trip takes 3:20 hours with a change in Chiusi. The direct Siena-Rome bus (arrives at Tiburtina Station) takes 2:45 hours and costs Euro 14.98 one way.

The 2nd class Kilometric train ticket (on D, R E and IR trains) costs Euro 116.72 and is good for 3,000km. Since the rail distance from Siena to Rome is about 240km, your sun would be able to make 12 one way trips, at a cost of Euro 9,73 per trip.

Now, quite a few (most) frequencies from Siena to Rome consider a change in Chiusi to an IC train. In this case your son would have to pay a supplement of about Euro 6.69, including seat reservation on the IC train, that is, more than going by bus.

Search this Thread