Is an 11 a.m. flight out of CDG do-able?

Jul 9th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Is an 11 a.m. flight out of CDG do-able?

I am buying tickets for our trip to Paris/Dordogne/Languedoc in September. One of my options is a 10:50 a.m. flight out of CDG on a Sunday morning. I am wondering how early we need to get up, how much travel time we should allot, and how much time for security/check-in once we get there. I can get a 1:00 p.m. flight, but that doesn't get us into Portland until 10:30 p.m., and then we have a 2 hour drive home. So, do you more-experienced travellers think the 10:50 a.m. flight is reasonable? Thanks!
Jul 9th, 2003, 07:34 AM
ira

Hi
You want to be there by 9:00 at the latest.

Plan an hour to get there and you won't be disappointed.
Jul 9th, 2003, 07:38 AM

I think they tell you to get to the airport 2 hours early. I usually shoot for 3: that would be 7:50. Early Sunday morning the traffic should be a breeze, though. In May we left the hotel via shuttle at 10:15 on a Saturday and were there by 10:45. So it's doable even if you didn't leave till 8:00.

I sure don't envy you that 2-hour drive home after that long international flight.
Jul 9th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Intrepid

Some airlines are now saying check in three hours ahead for flights to the US. If I were you I would check directly with the airline.

Jul 9th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Very doable--that is our usual flight time. I would allow at least 2 hours to check in and go through security. We have had an occasion when there was a bomb threat and they closed all the escalators until the little robot blew up a child's backpack (probably). But the crush was incredible and people were sprinting for their gates.
Order a taxi for 7AM--you'll be there by 8 at the latest on a Sunday. Check in, browse the duty free, have coffee, etc.
Jul 9th, 2003, 09:20 AM

I always plan on 2.5-3 hours at CDG for a return flight. That airport is notoriously crowded, especially for Air France and United flights it seems. As someone said, though, getting there on a Sunday morning won't take long.
Jul 9th, 2003, 09:42 AM

All flights into the US require addtional security creating long lines. Yesterday we(along wiht all other passengers) underwent a FULL "pat down" over our entire bodies for a flight that was bound fo the US.

Allow at least 2.5 hours. If you cut it too close your wait int the security line will seem eternal.

The only exception is that some airports pull First class and Business Class pasengers out of the long security line and process them quickly through a short line.
Jul 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Ok, and thanks for the tips, everybody. I think we'll go for the morning flight. And allow ourselves 3 hours at CDG. I am not the type who likes to live on the edge when it comes to flying!

LVSue: Yeah, that drive home wouldn't be any fun--and supposedly I am going to work the next morning! We'll have to see about that....
Jul 9th, 2003, 09:51 AM

I'm not sure if it varies by airline or not, but I flew out of CDG last week on Sunday on American Airlines and it was worse than any airport experience I've had in terms of the time they took to check people in. I usually fly Air France and will again, but American was terrible. I never had that much problem with Air France. AA had few staff and they were terrible. So, if it's them, I would get there at least 3 hours ahead of time, even Sunday morning. Security was easy and quick, though, once you got checked in (the line to get through to the gate where you go through that gate). AA was simply terrible, I'll never fly them again to Europe.
Jul 9th, 2003, 10:52 AM

I flew AA in May, got there 3 hours early and didn't have to wait in line at all. Very fast and effiient--lots of time for detaxe and duty-free shopping. Mine was on Saturday, as noted above.