Reload this Page >

IS AMERICAN Good Airline To Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 1998, 11:00 AM
gordon

I will be flying from Chicago To london economy class on American Airlines. Is American a good airline for travel to europe. How's the food, entertainment, and overall service. I would like to hear your experiences on this airline. Also, I will be using frequent flyer miles to pay for this flight. Since you can usually get cheap airfares to London, is it worth using the miles for the airfare, or should I use them to upgrade to buisiness class. Also, if American and British Airways join together in an allience, should I use my miles on British Airways of American. Thanks!!!

Old Apr 19th, 1998, 12:59 PM
Louis Dameson

If you have already obtained frequent flyer reservations on American Airlines to London that is one thing. If not, you may find that you cannot get round trip reservtions to meet your desired dates. In tourist class most major airlines are about the same. The food may be somewhat better on some of the foreign lines like Air France or Swiss Air. Since you will be flying through the night, food is not of that importance. The quality of your flight is more the matter of chance and not the airline. If the passenger load is light and the flight leaves on time, you are apt to have a better trip than you would have in business class. With a light load in tourist class you have a good chance to lay down in the center section. You should figure 2 cents a mile for frequent flyer miles. If you can buy a fare for much less that, it is better than using your miles. You should keep in mind that your miles might expire someday and that the IRS might figure a way to tax you on them. If you have a lot of them it is best to use some up when you have a chance. The times that I have been able to get frequent flyer reservations to Europe it has been on a partner carrier and not the primary carrier. If you have American Airlines reservations, you are one of the lucky ones.

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 01:30 PM
Christina

Gosh, you have a lot of questions. I don't know
some of the answers, but if you really have a choice
of flying AA or British Airway, same deal, I'd
definitely fly British Airway. I flew them and thought
they were superb in every sense; I have not flown
AA, but have heard a lot of complaints about them.
Food generally stinks on ALL US airlines, I don't
know why, and is good on foreign ones--it obviously
CAN be done since foreign airlines do it, but US
airlines choose not to. But it's just 1-2 meals, anyway,
I wouldn't use that to decide. I don't know about
entertainment, I've never gotten anything other than
a headset with canned music/movie, but I bring
my own books and cassette player anyway, so
don't care. I think BA and some other foreign airlines
at least give you the movie free, whereas US
airlines don't. I've heard of some new airplanes
with indiv. TV screens right in front of you, so
everybody can watch what they want (you have a
choice)--this sounds cool, I'd love to find that on a
flight.

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 01:58 PM
Richard

For me , first consideration would be is it a non-stop (from ORD it probably is). Second, do you land at Heathrow (HTR) or Gatwick (GTW). Heathrow, in my opinion, is preferable because you can take the Metro (tube, underground) directly into the city. From Gatwick you must take the express, more expensive than the Metro. A flight is a flight, a way to get from here to there. As for miles vs. fares, we leave for Germany in a couple of days, I was using miles but got a flight for $400, which gives me miles toward Gold again, it's your call. Take earplugs, a neck pillow and an eyeshade and sleep for most of the flight.

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 02:50 PM
Dan

I personally do not think AMERICAN AIRLINE is good at ALL, instead UNITED AIRLINES, LUFTHANSA, BRITISH AIRWAYS, SINGAPORE, DELTA, are better airlines to Europe!

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 06:26 PM
Laura

I have flown toEurope on Alitalia, American, Delta, TWA,
Air France and Olympia. They are all about the same. I have flown American twice to London. The first time all went very smoothly, but the second time I had a delay in Chicago of four hours. They also took my carryon bag away from me in Nashville and it didn't show up in Chicago. A concerned stewardess finally tracked it down.
American lost my luggage in 92 and I had a hard time collecting for it. They also switched my seats and gave me terrible seats although my reservation was made months in advance. But I have had similar experiences on other airline, especially Air France. Delta had the best service, but I have heard stories about them, too, from other travelers.

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 07:03 PM
Susan

Gordon, let me tell you about my experience with American Airlines. I will be flying from Chicago to Milan, Italy, with my father, this year. We purchased one ticket at $1000.50, and the second one is a free companion ticket, using mileage (although there is a $24 charge for taxes). I thought everything was ok and set to go, but I found out later that I was double charged for the $1000.50, on my credit card! A supervisor checked and said that everything was set up correctly in the reservations, but that the person at the ticketing department must have been new, and did not read this reservation correctly and billed me for the second ticket as a regular ticket, at $1000.50, in error. She said she will fix the problem, and she will issue me two new tickets that will be the ticketless kind (which are much more convenient because you don't have to worry about losing them, or if you need to make changes, you can do it over the phone, without having to go to the ticket counter). Also, my father's name was spelled wrong, so she said she will fix that too. Later, I received just one ticket under my name. Because I thought that the two tickets would be coming together, I called to make sure that my dad's ticket was still coming. AA told me it's coming. Then, I received another ticket under my name again, so that I ended up with 2 additional tickets under my name. And they were both, NOT the ticketless type, unlike what the supervisor promised. Because they were not the ticketless kind, I had to go to an AA counter (which is open only on weekdays during business hours) and had it rectified. It took over an hour, and finally, when I got the tickets, I noticed my dad's name was still wrong! I don't know why, but they said they can't make anymore changes. Also, another weird thing that happened was that the supervisor told me that it was notated that someone accessed my reservation over the internet... (First of all, I did not have an internet account with AA at that time, so there is no account over the internet for anyone to look at. Also, my reservation using mileage was made over the phone, and reservations using mileage can not be made over the internet, as I was told later. Only the reservations made on the internet, can be reviewed on the internet. So, it is impossible for someone to access my non-existent internet account and look at my reservation I made on the phone.) This all just doesn't make sense! Why is AA's system and information so screwed-up like this? I don't know if I can trust flying with them. I started to have a bad feeling about this flight and didn't feel confident with AA, and asked them if I could cancel it. Of course they said no. I must have a doctor's note to cancel it, and the money paid can only be applied to another fare that's the same or greater in value, in the future. Although AA tells me that this situation has never happened before, and is an exception, they can not make an exception for me and cancel the reservation... In the past, I flew with United Airlines to London, and flew with British Airways from London to Paris. I liked both of the flights. I would agree with Chrisitine that BA is very good. I wish I could remember the web site, but I recently also read somewhere that did not recommend AA for International flights to Europe. (BA was recommended.) Although I am stuck with AA for now, this is the last time I'm flying with them.

Old Apr 21st, 1998, 06:04 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Well, let me add my two cents' worth for, like one of your other posters, I've flown to Europe with a LOT of airlines, including American. I flew from New Orleans via Miami to London (Heathrow) on a plane that was PACKED (especially with Arabic ladies and their babies). The coach restrooms seemed totally inadequate` (and after one look I stayed out for the entire flight--demonstrating heroic retention since it was a 7-hour flight). But I did get there and so did my luggage. The record on the return flight was not as good--my luggage was lost enroute to Chicago and did not arrive here until late the next day. My trip over took place shortly after American settled a bitter strike with its flight attendants. These individuals were NOT happy campers and did not make their passengers feel very welcome. I liked being able to go into Heathrow rather than Gatwick (which is further from my sister's flat); but that one flight has driven me to Delta exclusively since--and even they do not give coach passengers enough foot- room. Probably NONE of them will from now on as I've read they are courting business and first class passengers at the expense of coach passengers. Too bad. Joan

Old Apr 21st, 1998, 06:06 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Well, let me add my two cents' worth for, like one of your other posters, I've flown to Europe with a LOT of airlines, including American. I flew on American from New Orleans via Miami to London (Heathrow) on a plane that was PACKED (especially with Arabic ladies and their babies). The coach restrooms seemed totally inadequate` (and after one look I stayed out for the entire flight--demonstrat- ing heroic retention since it was a 7-hour flight). But I did get there and so did my luggage. The record on the return flight was not as good--my luggage was lost enroute to Chicago and did not arrive here until late the next day. My trip over took place shortly after American settled a bitter strike with its flight attendants. These individuals were NOT happy campers and did not make their passengers feel very welcome. I liked being able to go into Heathrow rather than Gatwick (which is further from my sister's flat); but that one flight has driven me to Delta exclusively since--and even they do not give coach passengers enough foot- room. Probably NONE of them will from now on as I've read they are courting business and first class passengers at the expense of coach passengers. Too bad. Joan

Old Apr 22nd, 1998, 10:09 AM
John

AA is the choice to take to Europe! I have never had a bad experience with them at all, and all my friends refuse to fly anything but. If you can get a good deal out of Ohare, then I suggest using your miles to upgrade - American has one of the best Business Classes in the air (the warm cookies at the end of the flight are the best part!).

Old Apr 25th, 1998, 01:29 AM
maria

Alitalia is the best. Go in the middle of the week and you'll have three seats to lay down across. The food is ok, but I always bring my own just in case. I also only bring a carry on bag and never check luggage on airlines. I travel light. I take old underwear and socks and throw them away so I have room to bring stuff back.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 07:43 AM
Tricia

sending up

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 07:43 AM
Tricia

sending up

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 09:33 AM
cassandra

Quick answer: If you have a choice, take BA and/or use the miles for the upgrade. There's a reason why AA consistently tops the list in consumer complaints. Their service is never more than basic in coach, and their attitude in any out-of-routine situation is downright contemptuous. <BR> <BR>The reason AA's Bus. Class is nice is because its coach class is miserable. Probably other US carriers are tight in coach, but if you use the miles for upgrade, at least you get MORE FF miles for the trip itself. Getting reservations for FF-award seats is much harder, on any overseas flight, than booking a regular seat and upgrading. <BR> <BR>Recent AA trip to Gatwick in coach visited on us: 1) seats too cramped for a 5'2" person to sleep; 2) getting chewed out by American personnel for having been delayed for our connection by the French baggage handlers' strike; 3) being refused help in getting through security quickly to make the plane (NB: a Continental agent got us through, even though we weren't clients); 4) nearly 4 hrs. on the flight home with neither food nor drink after an abysmal, unchewable mini-lunch. (By contrast, BA's breakfast going to Madrid was lovely, and there was actually space between the seats of the 737.) <BR> <BR>I might add that on the flight over, my husband had spent much of the overnight flight on the floor in the aisle, helping out with a seriously ill passenger -- for which he was offered the Bus. Class freebie packet of blindfolds and slippers (which items we already had). <BR> <BR>Be glad you have a choice, if you do.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 12:52 PM
Bob

We go to Europe frequently. American is our airline of choice. The airlines have no control over the jerk that may be sitting next to you. Don't worry, American will get you there in great shape. Too many people get all wrapped up in delays they have had at airports, baggage, etc. These people fail to understand how complex running these flights are and how many real 100% jerks the airline employees have to deal with on a daily basis plus the rookie traveler that comes out only in the summer and expects a "meaningful experience" on a simple airplane ride. Just go American and enjoy Europe. The flight is just a small part of the trip. Plus I hope you are not one of those stupid people that carry on everything they own and cram it all over the plane. That is a sure indication of a person that is reading the rookie flying articles......

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Nat

Would you choose this airlines now?

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 01:24 PM
why

Why ever not? <BR><BR>They have the best seats if you're flying tourist class, if you are talking about 9.11, that was the luck of the draw. Would you not fly United?<BR><BR>The NY crash was caused probably by air turbulence, more the fault of control tower for letting them take off too soon.

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Logan

I've flown AA to Europe my last two times and liked it. Although I fly from DFW, I can't imagine there would be much difference from Chicago. By all means by the cheapest ticket available and upgrade to Business. It's a world of difference. The 4-course dinner ordered from a menu on my evening flight earlier this month was delicious. Probably Business class in other airlines is equally good, but if I must fly (which I'm not crazy about doing), I choose American Airlines.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Marion

I haven't flown transatlantic with American but my experience of an internal flight was pretty shoddy. I have flown BA, Delta and Virgin.<BR><BR>I was really surprised at how poor the service was on Delta and how miserable the crew were - in the UK we're always led to believe that US customer service is the pinnacle. BA was excellent but lacked the entertainment available on Virgin.<BR><BR>Overall, on Virgin the entertainment was superb (particularly for children which is a blessing whether you have children or not - bored kids, wherever they are on the plane, can be a nightmare!!), the food excellent and the crew friendly and attentive throughout.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 05:56 AM
s.fowler

We use AA from Chicago both domestically and internationally. While the service isn't spectacular, those 2 more inches in coach DO make a diff. And the service isn't that bad either.<BR><BR>And on our flights last weekend the AA crews were very nice and grateful for any kind word. We'll be flying AA to FRA in 2 weeks and I can report back then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -