Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is Aeroflot Safe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-aeroflot-safe-60406/)

Fred Jan 20th, 2000 06:06 PM

Is Aeroflot Safe?

I would appreciate any first hand information about Aeroflot Airlines as I am thinking about using them for a St. Petersburg to Paris flight. Have they improved in safety and service from a few years ago, or are they still very unreliable and unsafe. <BR>Thanks, <BR>Fred

Konstantin Jan 21st, 2000 01:34 AM

I'm Russian, so probably can't be fulle objective. But I do like Aeroflot and think the've improved the service, especially on international flights. The European and American destinations are mostly served by new Boeings and Airbuses, and partially by Russian made planes. Concerning the safety, actually I don't remember when did they have any crash the last time, during the Soviet times may be? If you've heard about any crashes in Russia it doesn't mean it was an Aeroflot plane, because now there are tens if not hundreds of small local air companies operating in Russia, many of them could be really unsafe. And most of the crashes were of military aviation at all. <BR> <BR>I'd recommend you, Fred, to check what type of plane serves your flight, if it is a Boeing or Airbus, hardly the safety will be any worse than that of other companies. <BR> <BR>Nice trip! <BR>Konstantin

Brian in Atlanta Jan 21st, 2000 05:21 AM

Fred, there's a thread on this subject under the "Smart Travel Tips" forum.

Peter Jan 21st, 2000 12:02 PM

Fred: I have flown Aeroflot NYC Moscow, and loved it. Boeing 777 very comfortable, great service and food. My understanding is that they do use the best for their international service. Flying within Russia on less common routes is still an adventure:) Still for international flight I would pick Aeroflot before British Air or others any time (and I'm not Russian).

Roger Kershaw Aug 13th, 2000 04:27 PM

In response to Konstantin's not remembering when an Aeroflot aicraft crashed last? <BR> <BR>Allow me to remind you. <BR> <BR>From my memory, an Aeroflot Airbus A-310 flying between Hong Kong (or Tokyo)and Moscow crashed from 36,000 feet over Siberia when the captain allowed his son in the captain's seat and the resultant series of catastrophic incidents caused the plane to crash...from 36,000 feet. Read details on www.airdisaster.com

I SPAM Aug 13th, 2000 10:54 PM

Roger: R U Spam-ing for this site? Your link is not a direct link detail but to a web site which than one needs to search for not even detailed information.

Konstantin Aug 22nd, 2000 03:17 AM

In responce to Roger's "remembering". <BR> <BR>I remember this story perfectly and it was a real tragedy. You described it quite correct with only one small detail wrong. This detail is that the flight and the A310 plane did not belong to Aeroflot company. It was a KrasAir (Krasnoyarsk Airlines) company flight - one of the regional air companies the only relation of which to the Aeroflot is the country of origin. <BR> <BR>Not much time has passed since Aeroflot was the only civil air company in Russia and the whole USSR, so it's quite common mistake foreigners make when supposing every civil airplane belongs to Aeroflot. <BR> <BR>Konstantin

Sally Aug 22nd, 2000 04:17 AM

Aeroflot may be very safe now for all I know. I remember flying from Frankfurt to Moscow in 1977 and during the flight I looked around to see a sign indicating "Escape Rope". I only hoped it was an incorrect translation but it made me want a stiff drink -- which I was told was not allowed.

Andrei Sep 10th, 2000 04:52 AM

Konstantin, you are wrong by saying that the flight SU 593 crashed near Mezhdurechensk enroute to Hong Kong in 1994 did not belong to Aeroflot. Yes it WAS Aeroflot flight. And it was Airbus 310. My friend died there, he was the only American among 75 passengers and I do remember this very well and will never forget it. I have uploaded a few pictures I took at the crash site. On one of the pictures you can see part of the "Aeroflot" word. http://www.go-russia.com/aeroflot/ <BR> <BR>Answering to Fred. That was the last crash that happened with Aeroflot. It was 6 years ago. I can not remember any incidents with the Aeroflot planes after the above mentioned case. There were too many speculations about why it crashed. And the "pilot's son" is only one of hundreds versions. <BR> <BR>Andrei

mike Sep 15th, 2000 09:54 PM

One never gess which flight will get in trouble. It is a roulett. Does'nt matter-Russians or Germans , or French. But what counts-service... <BR>With Aeroflot you can not be sure that you will get your lugguage back. <BR>Lugguage being stolen by russians -are as common as 50/50. <BR>Good luck.

Andrei Sep 16th, 2000 11:01 AM

Mike! We work at Sheremetjevo airport EVERY day. EVERY airline looses baggage. ABSOLUTELY. If the baggage is stolen who's fault is that? Aeroflot? Or the workers at the airport? They can steal AirFrance or Delta as well. Why did you emphesise Aeroflot??? <BR> <BR>Andrei

Stephanie Sep 18th, 2000 10:48 AM

flown on Aeroflot MANY times. mostly the flights have been on Boeing planes, so it's pretty much just like an american carrier. My only caution is that the food is not too good (i.e., fish in jelly!) but then again, I always travel domestic routes, within Russia, so the international cuisine may be better! :) then again, you can always have a lot of champagnskoya and forget about the fish!