Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is a Credit-Debit Master Card enough for travel in Italy or do I have to take traveler checks?

Search

Is a Credit-Debit Master Card enough for travel in Italy or do I have to take traveler checks?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 03:50 PM
Sandi and Tom

We are told by our Mastercard-RMA-Debit card people that we can get money easily by using ATM and the local banks. Our Mastercard is through Bank One and has the Plus Logo on the back. Is this adequate or do we need traveler checks?

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 06:32 PM
Boris

Check out ATMs in Europe at: //goeurope.miningco.com/library/weekly/mpreviss.htm

Old Apr 21st, 1998, 06:38 AM
s.fowler

I would *never* travel, whether abroad or in the US, without more than one way to get money. You never know what might happen from losing the card to the magnetic strip going bad. I always carry some cash, some traveller's checks and two credit cards. Cash machines are not as pervasive abroad and, despite what your bank says, it is always possible you will hit a system that expects a different length password.

Old Apr 22nd, 1998, 02:45 PM
Joann

I would echo the above and never rely on one card. My choice would be Amex with a MasterCard as backup plus cash. Traveller's checks are a waste of time. I never carry anything that would be an obvious money carrier to a thief - my money is in zippered pockets and wallets worn under my clothing. I would begin the trip with more cash than you think you would need for the entire trip, then charge every possible purchase, and then re-deposit your cash when you return home.It works for me!

Old Apr 22nd, 1998, 05:21 PM
Ann

Before you go, change your PIN to a 4-digit code. Evidently you'll have less trouble with ATMs that way. We had no trouble at all (but I agree with another response...you always want more than one source of money).

If you are cashing traveller's checks in Italy, watch out for the "slow count" (think of it as a "not paying attention tax"). This is a small pause while the teller or cashier is counting out your cash (or making change for a cash purchase). The hope is that you'll think the transaction is complete and walk away before you've received all your money. Know exactly how much you're supposed to receive and wait, smiling, until you get all of it.

Old Apr 23rd, 1998, 04:52 AM
s.fowler

I agree that money and money equivalents should not be kept in the obvious places. I disagree, though, that traveller's checks are useless. If you keep the records of the serial numbers in a different place than your checks they have a replaceability that cash does not have if you lose the cash. In the US traveller's checks are free at agencies of the American Automobile Association. [obviously if you belong!]

Old Apr 27th, 1998, 08:12 PM
Joanna

I agree with the posting above. Take a bit of everything. In Florence my friend and I had to wait one hour in Benetton for a Mastercard transaction to be accepted - apparently the transaction had to go to Rome for approval. If you have time to wait it's okay, but you could strike this in more than one place.

Cards and cash are great, but if they are lost/stolen the inconvenience is immeasurable. Definitely take some traveller's cheques. If you don't end up using them you can save them for your next trip or cash them at home to help pay your Mastercard bill.

Old Apr 28th, 1998, 09:09 AM
sally

I also strongly disagree that Traveler's cheques are a waste of time. If you lose your credit card, atm or cash, you certainly can't get it replaced immediately. However if your travelers checks are lost or stolen, it is very easy to have them replaced, if you have followed the instructions and kept the ck#'s in a separate place. My friends had theirs stolen in Rome and the same afternoon had them completly replaced with no hassles at the Am Ex office there. Not much of a waste of time if you ask me.

Old Apr 29th, 1998, 01:27 AM
Roger Vineall

I had a problem with a few places in Italy that did not take credit cards. I think traveller's chequess are very worthwhile.

Old Apr 29th, 1998, 06:11 PM
mary

when i was in rome diners club was accepted in lots of places. i had visa so i did have to find a place to change checks and cash. do keep track of what you are owed and how much things cost. ciao

Old Apr 30th, 1998, 01:37 PM
Jodi

I'm travelling to Italy this summer and will be alone. Sounds like everyone here has been to Florence. Any recommendations for budget accomodations? I don't want to stay in a hostel and I don't want to spend much money either. Asking too much?

JODI

Old May 2nd, 1998, 10:34 AM
Cheryl z.

hi - I agree with the good advice you've been given already (including definetly using tr. checks) but have one more tidbit. Unlike the USA, some places will takeVisa, and NOT Mastercard, and vice versa. That happened to me at least a couple times, once inSwitzerland andno amount of argueing will convince them otherwise. We always use our cc, take extra cash and tr. checks, try to use the cc as much as possible, and then just use leftover cash for the bill when home.

Old May 17th, 1998, 12:29 PM
s.fowler

Moving this up...