Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which Car to book at CDG in May 2015? Do you get Complimentary Upgrade?

Old Mar 19th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 32 days road trip in France with my wife and 2 daughters, 18 and 21 years old; starting 16th May 2015.
Am doing survey of which car to book.
1. Want to have Zero Excess- nod deductible clause- extra protection along with CDW
2. Have 3 bags of 24 inches (60 cm) with us.
3. Need a car which is not very large in size. Less than a Corolla.
4. Want it as economical as possible.

My questions are:
1. can a Renault Captur take 3 bags in the boot without sliding the rear seat, as i guess it will be very uncomfortable? Or ford focus? or Dacia Delta?
2. Is it possible to get a complimentary upgrade at CDG? Has anyone got it? Rick's guide suggests that Book a small car and try for complimentary upgrade.
3. While booking, the Carrental website says that the super CDW of 11 USD per day is valid only for USA residents. I am an Indian citizen. How do I book Super CDW.
4. Do I get the same internet rates if I go directly and book at CDG?
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 11:42 AM

Have you checked AutoEurope's long term rentals?

http://www.autoeurope.com/long-term-car-rental/
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
two things -- you are never guaranteed a specific brand/model. Almost all rental agencies will state something like "XYZ or similar".

And never rent a smaller car than you need. There is no way to know if an upgrade is even possible.
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 11:53 AM

1. can a Renault Captur take 3 bags in the boot without sliding the rear seat, as i guess it will be very uncomfortable?

Not of the size you are carrying. My guess is that you might be able to fit maybe two bags no larger than 22¨ in length.

2. Is it possible to get a complimentary upgrade at CDG?

It might be. Ask Rick´s guide what happens when you receive no upgrade and your luggage does not fit into your rental car.

the super CDW of 11 USD per day is valid only for USA residents. I am an Indian citizen.

Where do you live? You can be an Indian citizen and reside in the USA. If you live in India, plan on a different solution.

If you have an American Express card, look into their comprehensive insurance package. For $25, you receive full primary insurance for up to 42 days.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...do?source=CCSG

4. Do I get the same internet rates if I go directly and book at CDG?

If you are asking if walkup prices are the same as those arranged in advance the answer is emphatically no. There may not even be cars available for those who do not reserve.

I would check pricing with Autoeurope:

www.autoeurope.com
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 11:59 AM

A couple of answers:

1. Good question--finding the right size car is always a risk, IMHO, because the descriptions on line aren't descriptive enough.

2. With four people who've just flown from India, I wouldn't take the risk, and I don't take the risk when it's just my spouse and I and enough luggage to have filled a stateroom on an ocean liner. Reserve the car you need. I believe, however, that from time to time we've gotten a larger car at the airport when the dismayed rental company agent saw the mountain of luggage we had in tow. That may well happen with you.

4. I doubt it--because many of the internet rates require that you pay up front (even though you get a refund if you cancel the reservation) thus giving them the use of your money for a while. Plus, they may not have the car you need available for rental. We had reserved a car at the Waverley Train Station in Edinburgh to pick up on a Sunday morning; when we arrived there was a sign on the door "No cars available this weekend." Ours was available, however--that sign was aimed at walk-ups. So don't take a chance.

Hope you and your family have a great trip.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 12:58 AM

Sarastro's answer is perfectly on the spot.

As for upgrades, I will say I never got any fre upgrades when booking a small car - I got an upgrade last week from a 'Golf' category and got an Audi A6 (with which I drove 190 - if people read my other post - I'm consequent)

And I remember several times when I got the last car form the agency - once it was a Twingo in Lyon with which I had to drive 100 kms in the snow... never again.

My advise is to get a GOOD car - you have only one life, and you have your family with you - don't do super savings on the car - get a good one and save on a restaurant.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 03:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You say that your trip will last just over a month and from your post, you'll be spending a reasonable amount of time in the car. The last thing I would want to do in those circumstances would be to have a smaller car with 4 adults in it and 3 largish suitcases. You're ignoring jackets and hand baggage and anything you buy.

If you're planning to spend so much time on the road, then get a bigger car, not smaller and save somewhere else if you need to. If you don't need to, then don't.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 06:11 AM

It is fairly common in the US to book a very small car and get an upgrade for free. Not because you want one but because some rental car companies don't have enough economy/compact cars and book them anyway. So when you show up with a reservation for one, they often try to palm off a midsize car on you. This happens to me all the time and they don't seem to grasp that I don't WANT a midsize car, I want what I booked.

But this is random, of course it may happen, but I would never plan my vacation around it. And in Europe, I think they tend to stock more small cars than in the US.

I don't know those other cars, but a Ford Focus is too small to hold 3 suitcases in the trunk.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Hmm.. I got the point. Just the thing is that I will be driving on the narrow roads t mountain top villages; may be that's the reason why Rick steve suggests to rent a compact car as much as possible.
Will check on the various models.
I got a free upgrade too at Las Vegas when I had rented a car for 2 people for a week. The guy at the parking lot wasn't just bothered. He told me to select any car that was parked in a particular row. I selected a Toyota Corolla. I should have selected a Mustang Convertible
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 07:41 AM

Las Vegas has a LOT of traffic.
You should also be reminded that you are 4 adults, no small children. 32 days is a long time. Get a large car. It can make it on the roads! We drove a full size Audi.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 07:51 AM

Rick is not a reference, imho.
What I've read of him about Paris made me laugh or cry... and as far as it concerns cars, I've driving a 'monospace' - SEAT Alhambra - for the last 10 years all about Europe without any problem.
We are not in the age of goat's paths anymore..
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:02 AM

Cannot stress too strongly to reserve the size car that you actually need. Change of a free upgrade is very low (only if they run out of your size car) - just one of those false ideas that Steeeeves perpetrates.

And definitely reserve in advance - checking carefully how much luggage you can fit in the smallest car in your category - or you risk paying a much higher rate - or not getting a car at all.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're talking about the hilltop villages in Provence, like Gordes,Menerbes etc you wouldn't normally be able to take a car into the streets in any case. You park outside and then walk in. The surrounding roads are not overly narrow and I don't think you should have any problems.

It isn't normal practice in Europe to be offered a gratis larger car than you've booked, as most of the cars on rental sites are smaller anyway.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

To my surprise, I could book a Long term Rental- with a sale and buy back arrangement on renault-eurodrive.com.
Details of my rentals are as follows:
1. Car- Renault Dacia Duster- 2x4 Diesel with GPS- Brand new car
2. Has all inclusive insurance with zero excess to be paid.
3. I can drop the car free of cost at any of the 40 centres in France.
4. Cost of any number of extra drivers included.
5. I can take it to any of the 42 Eropean countries
6. Free 24x7 Road side assistance available by Renault.
7. Rental period- 33 days
8. Total cost- 928 euros
This is an astonishing price. The lowest i had got for any other car that can take 4 bags is 1600 Euros.
My friend has the same car in Mumbai, India. It's a mini SUV 1500 CC. 110 PS. I have driven it and am happy about it.
It is actually an unbelievable deal.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Renault Eurodrive is an all-inclusive, tax-free purchase / repurchase program for new vehicles aimed at people living outside the European Union (or in French Overseas Departments and Territories) staying in Europe for between 21 days and 6 months.
Your new car awaits you at the center of your choice across Europe.

You get to organize your stay as desired and get to the road in complete freedom !

Comprehensive insurance with no excess to pay
Roadside assistance 24/7 : +33 (0)1 84 95 96 97
A brand new vehicule
unlimited mileage
36 pick-up and drop-off centers across Europe
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes the lease back deals are very good and have been around for a few years now. I think you get an odd looking number plate which may confuse cops but otherwise no problems
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:50 AM

The lease deals have been available for decades. They used to be very competitive but rentals became relatively cheaper and the lease option´s appeal lessened. As taxes have increased on rentals and insurance costs have risen, leases have once again become very attractive.

Lease cars have red plates indicated that taxes have not been paid on the car. Do you really think that a policeman will have no idea what your special plates mean.

Thieves also know that the car is likely driven by a tourist so keep valuables completely out of sight.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

If that was not enough...
I got an email from Renault..

Special Offer if you confirm before March, 31 : Your new car will be waiting for you with a full tank for free! Enjoy your vacation from the get go! ...refilling is not required upon return!
...so you can travel with "Peace of mind"
That's about 80 Euros of goodies...
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 10:25 AM

We have also booked a compact car because of warnings about narrow roads and small parking spaces but I do have some concerns about the safety issue as we would never drive such a small car in the US. It was encouraging to hear that a larger car might work but I do remember when my husband's company booked a full size car for us in England and it was problematic driving through some of the roads that were lined with stone fences. I had to open the window and look out to make sure he didn't scratch the paint off on the side of the car.

We have reserved a VW Golf or similar and it appears to be a hatchback or what we might call a crossover. I am concerned that since there is no trunk our luggage will be out in the open and make it obvious that we are tourists when the car is parked at sightseeing spots. Or is there something that pulls over the back storage area to hide what is inside?
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 10:26 AM

Your luggage will not be out in the open. All the hatchbacks I've driven in Europe have had a cover to hide the luggage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -