Milan to Lugano sightseeing

Old Jan 6th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan to Lugano sightseeing

Going to a wedding in Lugano next summer, and am trying to find a way to make it into a short vacation. I'll have about 5-6 days total. I've never been to Italy, so am contemplating a flight into Milan, and then tripping up to Lake Como and on to Lugano from there.

My question is about the logistics of this. Would renting a car be the easiest, so we could stop and enjoy Como and anything else along the way? Would driving be completely nerve wracking? Or would Como and Lugano be manageable enough on foot after arriving by train? Any suggestions or ideas are completely welcome!

I'm dying to see some of Italy, even if it's short!!
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 09:43 AM

IMO you do not need a car. From Como, you can take the ferries to wherever you decide to stay on Lake Como.
There is also a train that goes from Milan to Varenna, a very nice town on the east side of the lake.

Buses go up the west side of the lake from Como town, but we found them slow and crowded. The boats are more expensive, but a nicer way to go.
Train goes from Como town to Lugano, or you can catch the Postale bus from Menaggio to Lugano, a very pretty ride along the lakeside.

Have a look at a map to get your bearings.
Once you get to Lugano, it is completely manageable on foot, unless you're staying out of town.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! That does sound pretty doable. And once we're in Lugano we'll have friends that can help us get around. I'll be traveling with my mom and will be doing all the leg work, so want to make it as easy as possible without spending a fortune. Also looking into hiring a driver to take us to Como, but we'll see. I can just see me trying to drive / navigate in a rental with my mom. Could be stressful!
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 12:51 PM

Do a little research on where you want to stay on lake Como.
Hotels book up pretty fast here.
There are some train experts on Fodors who could help with how to get from the airport to Como or Varenna. Hopefully some-one will see your post.

Rick Steve's has good info for first timers.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

that sounds like a good place to start
Thanks for the tips!