Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is 9 days in rome too much? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-9-days-in-rome-too-much-1532567/)

meghana1 Nov 4th, 2017 07:07 AM

Is 9 days in rome too much?

We will be in rome 9 days (2 half days, 7 full) coming in and out of rome. We are mainly interested in history and scenery but will be going around christmas w/ 2 adults, 2 teens .Have ruled out Venice but we were debating on whether to spend the whole time in Rome, take a day trip to Florence, or spend a 2 days/one night in Florence. We would not be able to take a train directly to Florence when we arrive so it would have to be a trip in the middle/end of our vacation. We are interested in architecture and Florence, but definitely prefer Rome in general. What do you all think? Any itinerary ideas?

Traveler_Nick Nov 4th, 2017 08:09 AM

If you prefer Rome then stick to Rome. Nine days is hardly an eternity for Rome

Leely2 Nov 4th, 2017 08:09 AM

No, nine nights in Rome would not be too many for me. However, if you're not particularly drawn to Florence (not sure if you are), I have done Rome trips that were basically nine or ten nights that have included an overnight/two nights in Assisi. Twice. Orvieto would make another easy getaway. This would be if you wanted to see a hill town. I spent New Year's Eve in Assisi one year.

Naples might be good too, but I personally think it deserves (maybe even requires?) more time because it has its own distinct vibe, rather intense, and it can take awhile to adapt to this. Or at least that was the case for me: the longer I was in Naples, the more I loved Naples.

And yes, Florence is an option if you all want to see Florence. I'd stay overnight, though.

A lot of people don't like to go someplace else in the middle of their trip and then return to the original destination, but this has never particularly bothered me.

annhig Nov 4th, 2017 08:42 AM

I can certainly recommend a day trip to Orvieto and Tivoli is also a possibility, though probably better in spring and summer when you can see the Villa D'Este.

There is also Ostia Antica which is easily reached by one of Rome's suburban train lines - Rome's own ancient harbour on its doorstep.

With the time you have, that's probably enough but nothing to stop you throwing in another trip to Florence or Naples if you feel like it when you're there.

marvelousmouse Nov 4th, 2017 08:46 AM

9 nights in Rome is my idea of a good time.

But I enjoyed Florence, so if there are attractions there there that interest you, I'd do 2-3 nights.

marvelousmouse Nov 4th, 2017 08:47 AM

Oh, just saw the bit about 2 days being half. No, unless all of you have been to Rome before- skip Florence, spend the whole time in rome

bvlenci Nov 4th, 2017 11:20 AM

Florence is an easy day trip from Rome. Since you have to arrive in and leave from Rome, I would be inclined to take a day trip to avoid an extra change of hotels. A day trip is also flexible, so you can change the day depending on the weather. That is, unless you have lots of reservations booked in Rome, or if you buy the train tickets well in advance to get a good discount.

If you leave Rome early and return late, you will have a whole day in Florence, and can see quite a lot in that time, if you identify the things that really interest you.

PalenQ Nov 4th, 2017 11:41 AM

f you buy the train tickets well in advance to get a good discount.>

Big discounts - book your own online www.trenitalia.com or www.italotrteno.com- two competing rail companies with own trains running over same tracks and stations. Ditto for day tripping to Pompeii via Naples - very feasible if long at 3 hours each way (but you get to see some Italian countryside too and maybe a quick look at Naples to boot)

.< A day trip is also flexible, so you can change the day depending on the weather> Not so with discounted tickets however so unless you want to spend literally $100 or more more for fully flexible tickets - always available - with discounted tickets which must be booked far in advance to get as they are limited in number and once issued cannot be changed nor refunded I believe so you may want to set your day trip in stone to say a bundle of euros.

if going to Orvieto by train (great idea for that iconic Italian hilltown) those are regional trains whose tickets are a flat-fare dirt cheap fare - just buy at station. For lots on Italian trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Catacombs just south of central Rome could be an adventure for family - take metro and bus.

You could stay the whole time in Rome and not be bored taking trains out is a great experience as well -especially high-speed trains blowing along at speeds of about 165 mph.

xnykid Nov 4th, 2017 01:15 PM

WOOOH!! hold the phone! yea 9 days in Rome is to much! its like going to NYC and only seeing the empire state building and the statue of liberty and saying your experienced the east coast?? someone said go to Orvieto and i would say hell yea, get out of the lines and tourist areas and go to Orvieto. your teens can walk the streets alone at night, love it and you don't have to worry about them. wonderful town with great people. Orvieto will speak some english, enough so you will not feel lost and it is nice, fun, historic and sexy.
if your feeling more adventurous go to Naples by train. Its only dangerous if you wear your rolex and gold, other wise they have no interest in your Northface jacket. Naples is more "italy" than Rome by a long shot. Food in Naples is totally amazing compared to Rome and the sights are amazing. Pompeii will blow your mind if history is your thing and your teens will love riding electric bikes on the island of Proceda to the beach where you can swim and eat and i am just getting wormed up here. 9 days in Rome is fine if your staying in Italy for 6 months.
to me Rome is just an airport any more don't get me started on Calabria! Ohhh sweet mountain town of Malvito and the beaches are to die for.

Boolanger Nov 4th, 2017 01:55 PM

9 days in Rome is too much for me- and I love history. Ben Franklin meant to say that big cities and fish begin to stink after three days. I would spend at least a few days in Tuscany, preferably in some agriturismo near Florence.

meghana1 Nov 4th, 2017 02:58 PM

Would an agriturismo be good in the dead of December? I agree that it feels a bit long, but we arrive at rome at night and we leave rome, so we would be forced to stay in rome, go somewhere else, and come back to rome. So that's why I am hesitant to go somewhere else.

julies Nov 4th, 2017 03:16 PM

We spent 8 days in Rome at that time of year and were fine. Now we just spent another 5 there. This trip we made the excursion to Ostia Antica that we had not done during the winter visit. We also did an all day cycling tour (on e-bikes) of the Appian Way. It would be great with teens. You could wing it and just see what the weather forecast is and then book it for a decent day.

Agritourismo in winter. No way!

Look at Tarquinia, about an hour outside of Rome. We just spent two nights there. I think you could do an easy day trip. It is fascinating with its Etruscan tombs and relatively untouristed.

We also just spent 2 nights in Spoleto and liked it much more than nearby Assisi. Both of those are perhaps 2 hours away by train if you want to do a day trip.

Do you have tickets for the Scavi tour under the Vatican yet? If not, get on that.

meghana1 Nov 4th, 2017 03:19 PM

Thank you! So would staying in Rome and day trips (ostia antica, tarquina, maybe florence and/or naples) work? Or would you recommend staying overnight somewhere?

meghana1 Nov 4th, 2017 06:41 PM

and @xnykid, is going to orvieto on a day trip okay? Are you saying that I should stay in another city, or would 4 days in Rome, 4 days day trips work?

Traveler_Nick Nov 4th, 2017 07:55 PM

Ostia is in Rome.

You can make almost anything work. Naples and Florence are both on the high speed train line. If your hotel isn't too far from Termini it can take you less time to either city then some sites within Rome.

But nine days isn't too much for Rome.

Saraho Nov 5th, 2017 12:01 AM

A day trip to Orvieto would be good, but stay late as you can.

Dayle Nov 5th, 2017 01:43 AM

Your 7 full days in Rome is definitly not too much. Personally, i would stay there and just do a day trip if you feel like it and depending on weather for which day trip. Florence is easy if you are really interested..but book your site tickets ahead and that means commiting to it ahead. Orvieto is a wondferul town with much to see. If you go, make it a good long day and yes stay late. Its lovely in the evening and the restaurants are excellent.

PalenQ Nov 5th, 2017 10:51 AM

Give the teen perhaps an American break at the Spanish Steps McDonalds - where they even serve Italian foods.

PalenQ Nov 5th, 2017 01:24 PM

We would not be able to take a train directly to Florence when we arrive so it would have to be a trip in the middle/end of our vacation.>

why not? There are now 4 direct airport to Florence trains a day I learned in a recent post and checked it out and easy to connect to zillions others - about 3 hours airport to Florence.

meghana1 Nov 5th, 2017 02:58 PM

We arrive at 10pm so we can't go immediately to a train right away