Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is 8pm too late to arrive at Venice airport?

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling for the first time to Venice in late June. We are looking at taking a Vueling flight from Paris that arrives in Venice at 8:05 pm. Is this too late to arrive in Venice? Will transporation from the Marco Polo airport be readily available? How crazy would it be to try to find our hotel/apartment in the evening, never having been to Venice before?
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
MaureenB

Arriving in Venice after dark is my preference, actually. Especially if you've never seen Venice before.

Because the beautiful architecture along the Grand Canal is all lit up, and it's an amazing introduction to Venice.

And in late June, there will be lots of visitors, so many people will be out and about after 8 p.m. I'm not sure about the transportation from the airport, because we arrived by train.

Enjoy Venice.
>-

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM

We had a late flight from Paris to Venice in October and had no problem getting to the hotel. In fact, since it was nearly 10 pm, it was easier to navigate our luggage through the small spaces with fewer people around. We stopped a few police officers to ask for directions and they walked us right over to the hotel.
As Maureen said, evening is pretty time to arrive and see the city under the night glow.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:47 PM

The important issue is, will your hotel have reception when you arrive, even if your flight is delayed? If you are getting an apartment, will someone be willing to meet you, even if you end up being very late?

Just have a good map ready to go.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:08 AM

There are busses from Marco Polo airport direct to Venice (piazzale Roma) till the night. You will be able to catch one (of couse there are the options of a water taxi or the Aliguna dolphin, but very expensive). From piazzale Roma take vaporeto No. 1 which cruises through Grand Canal with many stops. Choose the one closest to your hotel. As mentioned by MaureenB, Grand Canal is amazing this time of night, you will enjoy the vaporeto trip for sure. I would suggest not only to have a map with you, but also make a sketch how to reach yor hotel. I don't know where it lies, but it may be difficult to find it in Venice's labyrinth espesially at night. I suppose you can find specific instructions searching the internet (maybe from the hotel's reviews).
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback. At this time we don't have our accommodations yet. Still waiting to pin down the days. Doing the plane vs. overnight train analysis too. Plane is cheaper if we stay an extra night in Paris where we have a great deal on an apartment ($165/night).

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of a hotel or apartment in Venice for 4? My preliminary research tells me it's going to be at least $300.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:47 AM

We had very good luck with http://www.viewsonvenice.com in November. We got a great deal on a place in November (165/nt for 4 adults in a 2 bedroom/2 bath very near Piazza San Marco). For June, they're asking EUR 236/nt ($315 at $1.50/EUR 1) for 3 nights, but it's cheaper for longer for this same apt (Ca' Della Torre | 240). We found many 1 bedroom apartments (with a sofa bed) in the EUR 150-200 range as well as a few 2 bedrooms. (Of course, Nov would be cheaper than June.)

Paul
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
MaureenB

Also, search this forum for Franco's thread regarding Venice accomodations. He has an apartment that he loves and recommends highly. I don't remember it's name, though.
>-

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
MaureenB

I found it:

"There is (as seasoned Fodorites know all too well) one apartment that I prefer to any other, and I've recommended it often on Fodor's: the Rosa di Venezia (www.rosadivenezia.com). Other than having the well-equipped kitchen that I require, it boasts extraordinarily beautiful and tasteful furnishing and decoration (IMO, at least), and a tiny balcony with a stunning, terrific, splendid, unforgettable view on the small canal where it is located – actually, even a canal crossing. Btw, the Bridge of Sighs is on that very same canal, so the apartment is just around the corner (ok, two corners) from Piazza San Marco – even with many tourists, you wouldn't have to walk more than two minutes, and yet, the tourist crowds won't follow you to the apartment: they simply never turn around the (second) corner! It's the owners' own holiday apartment (they're not Italian, but Austrian), and they'll urge you to treat everything with respect (honestly, I'd do the same – they have some antique pieces of furniture in the apartment). The price of 160 Euros per night (and less for longer stays) seems more than reasonable to me.

If this apartment doesn't meet your taste or requirements, or if it is unavailable (as it happens to me, from time to time), try www.ladolcevitarentals.com for well-maintained budget accomodations; or www.vaporettovenice.com for some beautiful, but very pricey, apartments with excellent customers' service (I don't understand the prices they're giving on their website – maybe they're per person, or just valid from January 10th to 31st, at least, I've paid much more than they're indicating)."

The entire thread is http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34791672
>-

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM

I doubt if it will be dark at 8 pm in Venice in June. Sunset probably won't be until about 10 pm.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
ira

Hi O,

Sunset in Venice in late june is about 21:00.

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM

The Rosa di Venezia is only suitable for TWO PEOPLE - max. I loved it and and would recommend it to anyone (a couple, again - not 3). There is a double bed in the BR, a loveseat in the LR and seating for two for meals on a 36" diameter table with two chairs.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
MaureenB

Thanks for clarifying, bardo. Maybe Franco's other suggestions would be helpful for the OP.

We stayed at the Hotel Riva. A little one-star hotel, at the confluence of two tiny canals. It's a lovely little hotel, but no A/C and no lift.
>-

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Just got home from work and now finally have time to do more trip research! Can't wait to follow up on these leads. Yes, my husband and I are traveling with our 20 & 18 year old daughters, so we need at least a sofa bed.

We'll be in Venice June 26-29 (yes, I know it's not much time!), how critical is A/C? We live in Texas so we're used to hot days, but we're also used to A/C when we're trying to sleep.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM

We just rented from www.veniceapartments.org and had a night arrival. They sent us extremely explicit instructions on how to find our apartment. The instructions were perfect. They have an arrangement whereby you are given a code to a lockbox so you stop at their office after hours and pick up the keys. Their office is a 5 minute walk from Piazzale Roma.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM

I would immediately after getting checked into the hotel or apartment ontoeurope find a restaurant that is still open. My experiences in Venice has always been that restaurants close earlier than most places in Italy.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:55 AM

I suggest you to look for an accommodation with A/C, in June in Venice can be damp and hot (it's not for sure, but last year the summer started early).
Have a look also here:
http://www.viewsonvenice.com/our_spe...ing/index.html