Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is $750 fare from Louisville to Paris reasonable?

Mar 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

I'm trying to plan a trip to Paris for September. Is now the time to book a flight, or should I wait and hope that price drops? My dates aren't solid yet. Does Labor Day holiday make a difference in price? Is mid-week better than weekend?
Thanks!
Mar 13th, 2006, 01:41 AM
ira

Hi MK,

$750 is not unreasonable.

You could probaly get about $100 less if it is a one-stop route.

Prices are lower after Labor Day.

Have you tried www.kayak.com and www.mobissimo.com?

Mar 13th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I've tried both sites, plus all the others! I found the $750 on two sites, airfare.com and 1800flyeurope.com for departure on Sept.6, returning Sept.21. I can be flexible with my dates, but needed to begin exploring with fantom dates to see how costly the tickets will be. The price does reflect 1-stop in Chicago.

Do you think changing dates a few days one way or the other would make a big difference? Thanks!
Mar 13th, 2006, 04:28 AM

That's lower than I was able to get for around the same dates from Indianapolis.

It seems pretty good to me-- I'd go for it.

Airfares this year have just been higher than previous years.
Mar 13th, 2006, 05:11 AM
rex

All Louisville-Paris routings are one-stop, ira - - (unless they are two-stop!)

September hasn't been "off-peak"... or even "shoulder" season since the 1990's - - so I think I would buy it now, if it is a _perfect_ match for your needs.

Have we "met" before? There are a group of "Kentuckiana" Fodorites (using the term somewhat loosely), and hopefully, we will be holding our third annual GTG sometime later this year.

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34598144

Best wishes,

Rex
Mar 13th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Man, oh man...I'm really irritated now! Not about this post - I think the info in this post and the replies are excellent - it's with the airlines. Ok, like mkdiebold, I'm going to Paris in September as well (leaving on a Friday). Over a month ago I was doing all my research about fares, aircarriers, etc. A nonstop flight from DFW to CDG was like $1200 on AA. As this was too much, I tried various travel sites - Yahoo travel, Orbitz, etc. No one really had a good low deal. I finally opted for BA (BA is one of my preferred carriers) and settled on $750. But what this means is that I have to catch the Eurostar over to Paris, thus increasing the amount of money I'm spending on travel.

I did not know about airfare.com or 1800flyeurope.com - how I missed those sites is WAY beyond me. Anyways, I checked the 2 afore mentioned sites and got around the same fare as mkdiebold, but 1800flyeurope was about $35 or so cheaper. Oh well, lesson learned. So, in answer to your question mkdiebold, I think that's a pretty fair price for r/t nonstop to Paris.
Mar 13th, 2006, 05:26 AM

If it's $750 including all taxes and fees, then it's a good fare. But you may find that the fares do not include taxes (~$100 for both US and European airlines) and fuel surcharges (~$100 on most European airlines).
Mar 13th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I would personally wait until 2-3 months before. I would plan a week after Labor Day and try to leave mid-week (although that isn't always important, but they say Tues., Wed., Thurs.)

I'm leaving in a couple weeks for Paris, I waited until Feb. I got $288 rt. $376 with all taxes and airport charges. I have never spent more than $458 with taxes to go to Europe. I know that will change, but I'm not ready for $700's yet. Heck, I'm not ready for $500's yet, but may have to accept.

I hate to say this, but I would wait until July and then try to fly on Sept. 11. I have a feeling people will avoid that date.

In the meantime, sign up for email notices from the airlines. I get mine from NW, Continental, and Delta as they all share miles. I also signed up for Travelocity's farefinder. They email you when the prices get to a price you name. Remember when checking these travel sites, that they don't do all airlines. So you might miss something.

All this said, there is no guarantee that I'm right. So do what feels best to you. But for the way I travel, my prices will get me several nights in a hotel that I'm saving over your prices.
Mar 13th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your opinions! It's really frustrating to me that my local "Louisville International Airport" is international only if you are a UPS package! Sometimes I wish that we lived on the Atlantic coast instead of in the Ohio River valley. Anyway, good prices are hard to come by for Louisvillian's.

I prefer to fly out of Cincinnati because of their non-stop service to major European cities, but Delta is the carrier and I don't trust that they won't be bankrupt by September. Besides that, the ticket costs are well over $1k. As cchottel said, the difference in bucks can by a couple of nights stay or several meals. So, I'll probably end up flying out of the Ville via Chicago.

No Rex, we've never met. I'd love to be kept informed about upcoming Fodorites gathering in our area. I did quickly look at the tread you sent and noted some of the names. Will pay closer attention to their contributions in upcoming posts.

Do you know if any locals are going to France in September?

By the way, the "mk" of my name stands for Mary Kathleen, but I'm known as "Kathy."
Mar 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM
rex

Louisville International Airport does have non-stop (charter) service to Cancun, I think.

And Cincinnati is often worse than a connection for the reasons you cited: risk of an airline that may cease functioning, and highly premium pricing for the "treat" of nonstop transatlantic flights. I lived 21 of the past 24 years in Columbus, Ohio (only came "back home" in 2003) and experienced similar "airport envy" there, but the fares were at least occasionally better than other fares from the overpriced gateway airports of the "Big Ten" states. Closest I have seen to good pricing from Louisville has been to connect on Southwest to BWI - - and the (not likely to ever repeat) phenomenal deal(s) from Rockford Illlinois (95 minute drive after a cheap Southwest flight to Midway).

Locals going to France in September? No, I don't know of any such plans - - but aren't "locals" anyone who comes here - - from any continent?

Any interest in getting a Fodorites September France trip started?

Write me... for a phone number, if you'd like to talk...
Mar 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Unfortunately Louisville and Cincinnati are not the only midwestern cities that lack direct flights to Europe. Since American cut many of their flights out of St. Louis its impossible to get a non-stop to anywhere in Europe. Our best bet, usually, is to make the 5 hour drive, or find a cheap flight, to Chicago and go from there. Otherwise there's a layover somewhere in the U.S.

I think that price seems reasonable for September. We got a flight from St. Louis to Paris for $320 last year, but we went in November. If you have the money, I say go for it.

Tracy
Mar 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM

My husband and I are going to Paris from Louisville in May via Continental through Newark. Our tickets are $765.90 each, including taxes. We are leaving on a Thursday for a ten-day trip.

I found the cheapest price by booking directly with Continental. It was $20 cheaper to book on line rather than by phone, but the phone reservation people gave me all the information I needed.
Mar 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM

I check www.itasoftware.com for best flights from all airlines. There is a feature where you can search for a full month for the best fares.

A crystal ball would help predict future airfare but $750 would be a price I could live with. Much better than summer prices.