Reload this Page >

Is $576 Airfare To Rome Good?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 11:07 AM
kila o'

I have two $576 roundtrip tickets from New York to Rome on hold with British Airways for early October. I know that's less than what other airlines are quoting right now (mostly $750 and up), but is it good enough to buy? I've never been to Rome before, so I'm not sure whether fares will go down as we get closer to October. Should I buy these 2 tickets while I have the chance? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Lee

Kila, <BR> <BR>I'd go for it. Sure, they may come down, but there is no guarantee. Five of us are going there (Rome) in October (from Erie, PA) and although my wife and I are using FF miles and can't complain (US Airways), the others are paying just over $800.00 each. That was after we searched around looking for the best fare. <BR> <BR>I've waited before, anticipating that the fares would go down and only wound up paying more. It's just a gamble with the airlines, like rolling dice. <BR> <BR>I would do it. If someone has a better idea, then go that route, but it's the convenience of dates and times that are attractive, also. If they are right for you, then that's a factor, too.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Lily

You should grab it. You'll might see lower fares, but get it while you've got the dates you want at a pretty reasonable price. <BR> <BR>I've flown to Rome for $400, that was the best I've ever gotten. To me anything around $500-600 is very good - of course cheaper than that is even better. Plus, British Airways is pretty good. <BR> <BR>Also - are you sure that the price you got is good for 24hours? I once put a ticket on hold thinking the price would stay the same, but as I found out, my reservation only held the seat not the fare. A ticket that was originally $735 went up to $5000 in less than 12 hours!!! Needless to say, I cancelled and found a better deal on Expedia. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Julie

In my book that's very good enough to buy particularly for that time of the year. I say, Book 'em Danno and buon viaggio.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Ed

A good buy. A good carrier. <BR> <BR>The fare to Rome in Economy from NYC in 1960 was $620, so you have good price. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:14 PM
kila

<BR>Thank you to everyone for your responses! I'm convinced and am calling British Airways right now to purchase the tickets. Thanks!!!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:15 PM
jhm

If you must be there in October, then go for it. If not...I went to Rome two years ago in March for $350 round trip on Continental from Newark. Check www.smarterliving.com and www.cheaptickets.com to see if you can find anything else, but don't kill yourself over it -- it's a good fare for a wonderful city.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:19 PM
kila

Unfortunately, our dates are not flexible -- we have to fly certain dates in October. I know it's significantly less once November hits, but for our first trip to Italy, we thought early October would be a bit nicer.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Rex

Pointed out these "better than anything else I have seen lately" fares on BA on another thread this morning - - worth mentioning that similarly good fares are available from BA originating Washington and Atlanta too (to Italy) - - on www.orbitz.com - - but perhaps on other sources as well. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>