Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is $570 a good rate from Chicago to Paris in May?

Jan 16th, 2004, 10:55 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Would you jump on this price on British Airways or would you wait? Last summer in August, I paid substantially more.

I know that this is a totally subjective question and that $570 isn't a bad rate, but I wonder if I should wait a bit and see if airlines have specials.

I checked all the major U.S. carriers and most of the European ones and right now this seems to be the best price.

Anyone with experience on this? What do you think?

Thanks!
SRS
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:13 AM

It's more than if you flew right now but the weather is much better in May too. Flying in the summer can be as much as $800 if that's any help.
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:16 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. That is why I am torn. Last summer I paid $750, which I think was a bit high, but it was the best price I came up with when I was looking.
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:34 AM
ira

Hi

It's a good rate. Would you be more disappointed if you found you could have gotten it for $520 or if you had to pay $620?
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:40 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Thanks Ira. I would hate to pay more, but I would really hate to find out that I could have gotten it for $400.
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:42 AM
rex

Ira's analysis is similar to good stock-picking - - think of the downside risk and the upside potential. I think that the probability of $50 up or down is about 60%/40%.

And I assume that the numbers we're talking about are all taxes included.

Far more relevant is the probability of $250 up or down. If you wait a month, I'd say that becomes 20% vs 0%; wait two months, 40% vs 0%, three months 60% vsw 0%.

These are speculative numbers of course - - all except for the 0%. Your fare of $570 will NOT fall to $320 in May, no how, no way

I would buy now.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:43 AM
ira

Very good analysis, Rex.
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:45 AM
ira

SRS,

It is always possible that the price will drop significantly for a day or so (that happened to me on a recent trip) but you have to be watching all of the usual suspects twice daily.
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM

I assume you'd fly Delta from Atlanta, but on American, if you see the rate drop after you buy your ticket, call them and they will give you a travel voucher for the difference. (Thank you AAFrequentFlyer for that tip!) Check and see if Delta does the same thing--if they do, you have nothing to lose.
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Oops, I just saw the British Airways thing--they're partners with American so I'd definitely check!
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:11 PM
SRS
Original Poster

Thank you! What great answers!
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:13 PM
dln

I don't think that's a bad rate at all. We've paid $500 to fly from Chicago to London (which is always a cheaper ticket than Paris), and in March (always a less enticing time to visit than May). I'd go for it if I were you, because it's cheap, assuming it includes all fees. And then I wouldn't torture myself by looking for cheaper fares after the fact. Unless of course, you could have the difference made up to you, as pointed out above.

Jan 16th, 2004, 12:19 PM

I wouldn't want to dissuade you from whatever decision you make, but I always suggest that a combination flight and hotel package be considered. Almost all airline offer such things through their vacation departments, and there is usually flexibility in choice of hotel, length of stay, and optional amenities. I'm not saying you should wait for such an offer, but an hour or two spent perusing the airline and travel company offerings could pay off---if this kind of opportunity interests you. Good luck.
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Check the travel section in a Sunday edition of major newspaper. It is often full of these little ads selling really low priced tickets to destinations all over the world. I have purchased tickets (United Airlines) from one of these agents who acessed a vendor called a "consolidator" (I believe consolidators buy bulk plane tickets). In the Spring of 2002, I purchased September tickets for Milan Italy at about $100 below the market rate (Expedia on the internet).

You might also try bidding on priceline.com. I have saved $100's with them. Priceline is good if you are committed to your departure/arrival dates and you don't care what major airline you use. Take your current price quote and bid the same dates on priceline with a low ball price (maybe by $100 per ticket) and see what happens. Your risk is that you might immidiately own the tickets (you give your bank card number) and you can make no future schedule changes. If your bid is too low, the airlines will simply reject the offer. No harm no foul.

Good Luck.
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:37 PM

I'd jump on it. I booked our mid-March flight from Dallas to Paris in late July because the fare (which had been in excess of $850 all summer) went down to $470 per person. I checked a few months ago and the fare had risen by $200 per ticket. I just checked, and although the date is still almost 2 months away, the fare is now $1332 per ticket!!! Moral: The fare may go down - but it could also almost triple!!!
Jan 16th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Another vote for taking the rate. I watched prices from TPA- CDG for a couple of months and should have jumped earlier than I did. I am flying in April and got $604. It is still cheaper than what I had for the same route for last June but I could have had it in the $400's but I got cocky and waited. I booked now because I was concerned that the rates would go through the roof. It is always a guessing game I think. You have to decide if you would be happy with that rate or kicking yourself. When/if you purchase, you might do what I did and not look at airfares even for "fun" for a few days after the purchase to retain some sanity in this crazy travel game.
Jan 16th, 2004, 02:48 PM

I think that's a good fare even from Chicago. We on the west coast will pay alot more I'm sure.
Jan 16th, 2004, 05:33 PM

I paid $600 Chicago to Paris in Sept. 1999. And BA is a great airline. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Jan 20th, 2004, 07:03 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Just want to thank you to all for the responses!

Here is what we decided to do. Swiss had a flight that was $605 and we went with it! So we paid $35 apiece or $70 more overall.

The Swiss flight has the mini tv screens in the seats and the 2-4-2 configuration whereas the person at BA couldn't tell whether we'd have tv screens and believed it was a configuration with 3 seats on the side (instead of 2). My husband felt strongly about paying a little more for what he thought would be a better flight.

Anyway, thank you all - I think we paid a fair price and I am happy about it - can't wait for May!

SRS