Reload this Page >

Is 5 nights too long in Catania,Sicily?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 08:07 PM
Marcie

We're planning a trip to Sicily and will stay the entire time (5 nights/6 days) in Catania because we can redeem points for a free hotel. Is this too long to stay in one city? Is anyone familiar with the Sheraton Hotel there? Is a car rental necessary for day trips? We've explored Northern Italy but have never been South before. Thanks for your help!

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 09:05 AM
Jean

In March, 1998, our cruise ship stopped in Sicily and we took an excursion to Catania. We enjoyed it very much, but I cannot see spending more than 2 to 3 days there. I believe a car rental is necessary. It was at least a 45 minute ride from the ship to Catania. <BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 10:37 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Marcie <BR>5/6 is a lot to stay in Catania itself, <BR>however you have a short train ride to <BR>Siracusa,the old town area is very in- <BR>teresting and a short drive to Pza Armerina and the Villa Casale. Another <BR>short day trip would be to Taormina, <BR>which can be by car or bus. Here are <BR>a couple of urls to surf for information <BR>on the above three places... <BR>http://www.sicilian.net/-----www.com.../catania/----- <BR>http://www.etnaonline.it/-----www.nu....cres.it/----- <BR>www.ragusaonline.it/ (maps) <BR>www.wel.it/welcome/sicilia/prov.Siracusa <BR>www.wel.it/welcome/sicilia/provmessina, <BR>Taormina./-----151.99.138.4/catania/---- <BR>www.fs-on-line.it/ ( rr schedules) <BR>Don' think a car is really necessary, <BR>Taormina and Siracusa can be reached <BR>by rail and Pza Armerina, would check <BR>with the hotel concierge for transport <BR>orpossible rent a car for a single day. <BR>If yoo have any more questions don't <BR>hesitate to contact me, suggest get a <BR>good sicilian guide book.. Richard of <BR>Hickory Hills, IL...

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 05:27 PM
Joanna

5 nights is not too long to use Catania for a base for day trips, as suggested by Richard above. A good look at Etna could take up most of one day, esp. if you go to the crater and look at the old lava flows around the base. If you are a beach person you could head up to Naxos. Even Messina isn't too far away for a day trip, or possibly Noto in the south (lots of baroque buildings, hopefully not too ruined by recent earthquakes).

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 12:08 PM
Rob

Hi! <BR> <BR>I would definitely recommend a car since the Sheraton is well outside of the city, to the north along the coast. Catania is not the nicest part of Sicily, but it is a good base for day-trips as mentioned (Syracuse, Taormina). Mt. Aetna has been active recently, so I don't know whether it is "open". We were there about 2 years ago, and they were working on the motorways towards the west. Western Sicily is also very nice, but staying in Catania for that would not be very practical.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Richard

Marcie, Rent a car. Places we absolutely love: Castelbuono; Cefalu (side trip to Lipari, Isole Eolie); Monreale; Erice; Selinunte; Agrigento; amd Taormina (good show with wonderfully bedecked horses and carts). Try to get Frommers Touring Guide to Sicily.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 07:29 PM
Paul

Marcie, <BR>I have stayed in Catania numerous times. I have stayed at quite a few different hotels including the Sheraton. I would have to say it was my third favorite out of four hotels I have stayed at there. I prefer the Excelsior or another hotel more centrally located to the restaurants and shops as well as the most interesting architectual areas of downtown. I would definitely recommend a rental car. The Sheraton is nice, has a pool and restaurant on the premises but is a long ways from downtown. I love Sicilian food and scenery and would go back at the drop of a hat. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. by the way. Don't bother trying to get cash with an American Express Card at an ATM in Catania. I've tried about 20 different ones downtown ;-( <BR>Cheers...