Reload this Page >

Is 5 1/2 days too long in Vienna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Jill

Will be in Europe 13 days-I'm spending 5 full days in Prague, 5 1/2 days in Vienna and 3 days in Lucerne. I'm concerned that maybe I'm spending too much time in Vienna??

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:07 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

You are---what happened to Salzburg?

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:14 PM
dougd

Vienna is one of Europe's greatest cities - beautiful, clean, safe, and easy to deal with. That being said, I would seriously consider spending some time in other parts of Austria. The wine country along the Danube is very beautiful, and very relaxing, with many tiny hamlets surrounded by vinyards and mountains. This area begins just outside Vienna. I would think that over 10 days in two cities would cause 'urban overload' no matter how nice the city is.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Bob Brown

I think it depends entirely on what you are doing and how hard you want to go at your visit in terms of physical effort expended.<BR><BR>We were there 4 nights last year, 3 and a half days, and wore ourselves out trying to cram in everything.<BR>We had something to attend every evening, so we were on the go from the time we left the hotel until nearly midnight. You essentially will be there 1 day longer than we were, which should give you time for everything: the Hofburg, Schönbrunn, the Belvedere, and a few other places. <BR>The problem I see is that it is a shame to pass through Salzburg and not stop and see anything because it, too, is a charming small city. <BR>You cannot of course see everything, so it boils down to a question of choices.<BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Beth Anderson

as much as I liked Prague, I couldn't see spending 5 days there either - I'd add some time in Switzerland &amp; go hiking!!<BR><BR>Beth

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Christina

It would be too long for me; I think I spent 5 days there two years ago and that was too much for me, I didn't like the city that much and I was there in July when there were few decent concert performances (I don't go to tourist concerts, I mean regular ones) and not too much going on. Last year I spent a week in Prague and could have stayed longer. However, there are day trips you can easily take from Vienna, that's what I did. Just walk from the main Opera House up Karntnerstrasse towards the famous church and you will pass one or more local travel agencies on the left side. I can't recall names, but they have brochures of local bus companies doing day trips--I took one to Budapest which was marvelous, but they also had trips throughout Vienna, the woods, Danube, etc (more countryside stuff). I agree that Salburg would be an option too, but it's a bit far a day trip, preferably on the way to somewhere. Not impossible, though, about 3 hrs by train, as I recall. Now Budapest was that far also, but on one of those nice coaches, and the guide was excellent, a local girl fluent in German and English, so we passed through the countryside and small villages and she discussed culture. Sometimes those nice bus trips viewing the countryside can be relaxing to me.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Mika

Have a look at Budapest, its nearer than Salzburg and much bigger.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Gigi

Hi, Jill!<BR>I just spent 9 days in Vienna and was kept busy the entire time there. I saw lots of great Opera and Art, however. It depends on your interests.<BR>I would certainly plan on that much time and take a day trip to Budapest. It has a wonderful art museum and is very interesting and would compliment your trip to Prague and Vienna beautifully. I think 5 days in Prague is plenty, however. It simply does not have the cultural depth that Vienna boasts.<BR>Have a wonderful trip!<BR>Gigi

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 05:05 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Jill<BR>Five days might be too much, however<BR>you could go as mentioined before to<BR>Budapest, possibly hydrofoil to Bratislava, but not to mention a trip<BR>from Wien, up the Danube to Melk makes<BR>an excellant day. Richard of La Grange Park, Il;..

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 07:46 PM
Linda

You said you would be in Europe for 13 days but have listed 13 1/2 and no time for travel. In both Prague and Vienna you can take daytrips to keep the number of days you have scheduled and still see both city and outskirts. Budapest is worth more than just a daytrip. You can fill the time as both large cities have lots to do.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:07 PM
Jill

Thanks for the info...I'm rethinking things!<BR>Linda, I will be in Europe 13 1/2 days but with travel thrown in it is really 15....I wasn't counting those days. I'm afraid that Vienna is getting too much time and perhaps Switzerland too little...hmmmmm...<BR>Jill

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:14 PM
Lori

Don't know when you're goign or what you like to do. We spent 4 days in Vienna last August and 4 in Prague. For Vienna--Although several things weren't in town/open then, we also had beautiful weather and spent one glorious afternoon just biking down the Danube and would have liked to have done more, the bike paths in the city are great. Unless you're planning side trips in Prague 5 days is a bit much as it's a much smaller city than Vienna. IMHO<BR><BR>Sounds like a great trip regardless of what you decide!<BR>Lori

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Kathy

Vienna is fine for a couple of nights, but we stayed 3 nights there and I was ready to leave. The food was some of the best that we had. Salzburg is beautiful and we loved our stay there.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 02:33 PM
amg

Jill,<BR><BR>I just got back from a trip to Czech, Austria and Budapest. We spent two days in Prauge. Three would have been perfect, but I like to shop (mostly looking). I would recommend a day trip or two from Prague. There are many bus tours to chose from. We did Cesky Krumlov, which is beautiful. It is about 2 1/2 hours south of Prague. We rented a car and stayed over 2 nights - one full day, then drove on to Durnstein, on the Danuebe in Austria. We spent 2 nights and days visiting the Melk Abby, Gottig(sp) Abby and a few of the towns. This area can also be done as a day trip (train, bus or boat)from Vienna. The driving was very easy. Well marked roads, especially in Austria. I would definitly recommend trying to see some of the small towns in Czeck and Austria over adding another city to your trip. I have been to Salzburg, on another trip, and it is beautiful, but it is similiar in mood to Prague and Vienna. <BR>If you want any more info - on hotels, towns ect, feel free to email me.<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Aileen<BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Maureen

My opinion is that 5 1/2 days in Vienna is too long. I would highly recommend maybe doing 3 1/2 days in Vienna and 2 days in Salzburg. I loved Salzburg and it's surrounding towns/villages. Have a great time!

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 12:57 PM
urgo

I would strongly consider also going to Budapest and or Salzburg if you are in that part of the world and have not been there.