Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is 45 minutes enough time to change planes in Paris?

Jul 6th, 2000, 05:43 AM
Mary Sue

I am booked on Air France from Cincinnati to Vienna, with a change of planes in Paris. My flight lands at 8:50 and the plane to Vienna leaves at 9:35. Do I go through customs in Paris or Vienna? Do I have to claim my bag in Paris(if I decide not to carry it on) then recheck it? Sorry, it has been a long time since I've been to Europe and I don't know these things. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Jul 6th, 2000, 06:22 AM
cass

No, it's not enough time, esp. if there's even a little bad weather or any kind of job action (e.g., baggage handler's strike). On international flights, an hour is very tight -- I'd consider 90 minutes baseline for a connection.

I believe you go through customs in Paris, but someone else should confirm that -- may depend on whether you have to change terminals or not.

Jul 6th, 2000, 06:56 AM
Jane

I'd try to book a later plane to Vienna (if that's possible) as it'd give you more time in case your first plane is late. But, if all goes on time, then you should be able to make it (just!) - I once had 45 minutes between plane changes at Zurich airport and - despite my first plane being late - I managed to get my connection - but it was incredibly stressful and I wouldn't do it again. I don't know if it differs from airport to airport, but I didn't have to go through customs or recheck my bags or anything until I reached my final destination (Croatia) - everything was automatically sent from one plane to the next. All I had to do was to get on the plane!

Jul 6th, 2000, 08:13 AM
Lori

45 minutes is not enough time to change planes at any airport in my estimation. You should do your best to change this connection now - there is a stong probability you won't make the connection given delays, etc. I would not settle for anything less then 90 minutes. We ran like crazy through Heathrow on one of our trips when we were late coming in from Paris (air traffic delays) and literally had to run to make the flight - very stressfull and for sure not enjoyable. You should not have to recheck bags as long as you are "in transit" but even being in transit can mean long walks to gates that are off in never never land so be prepared. Also you stand a bigger chance of having your luggage delayed because the connection is so tight - don't risk it, make a change.

Jul 6th, 2000, 08:23 AM
Paul

According to Air France's web site, you'll have to go from Terminal 2C to Terminal 2D. They are across the street from each other (parking lot in between). When you get off the plane, look for the signs reading "Correspondence" (Connections). We came into 2C, then followed the signs, which went downstairs to ground level, where we got onto an airport shuttle bus and were taken over to 2F. We did not have to go through customs/immigration in France.

I don't know if they shuttle you to 2D from 2C. I would call Air France and ask specifically about this. But, in any case, I have to agree with the above posters - it seems like too tight a conection to make.

Jul 6th, 2000, 08:30 AM
Rex

Air France is in the midst of a major push to see that passengers make their connections (at least AF to AF) and you may indeed be fine. I just had a 19 minute connection (due to delay in arrival from Atlanta) last month - - there was an AF representative there to meet five passemgers at the gate and he ran us through the airport - - a similar change of your terminal to yours - - NOt "across the street" - - cut to the front of the line at passport control for us - - and you do NOT clear customs in Paris if it is AF to AF. So it may or may not be tight, but I think that the outlook is better than suggested above.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jul 6th, 2000, 12:11 PM
Bob Brown

I was very encouraged to read that AF is trying to make things easier for connecting passengers at CDG Airport. After my nightmare last year at CDG trying to get home, I was so concerned that this year I scheduled a 4 hour layover in Paris just so I would minimize the risk of a similar experience.
Last year our flight from Zurich was over an hour late, so 90 minutes of connect time shrunk to 30 by the time we landed. Trying to get from one building to the next was a trying experience because we went by way of other terminals. Fortunately, our flight home was delayed for a navigation check, so we were able to make it at the last second. Hopefully your arrival will be on time and you will make the flight.
I have not made a connecting flight to another European city in Paris, so I cannot answer your other question. The only similar experience I had was a flight to from Atlanta to Zurich via Amsterdam on KLM. We did not go through customs until we got to Zurich, and then the agent waved us through with both hands. Our checked luggage went through to Zurich; we did not handle it in Amsterdam as I recall. (Unlike Toronto where we had to go through the hoops to continue to Calgary.)

Jul 6th, 2000, 01:07 PM
kam

I would say that 45 min. is too little time to connect in Paris. I would be concerned about weather delays or just heavy traffic at the airport. But, the good news is you will not have to clear Immigration/Customs as you will be "in transit". It's too bad that the U.S. can't figure out a similar system.

Jul 7th, 2000, 06:17 AM
Bob

Just to let you know I have been 'in Transit' in the USA, but I was not changing Air Lines. If Paris is the 'Port of Entry' then you will have to go through customs. On our trip to Paris last month I don't recall any choice.

Jul 7th, 2000, 06:23 AM
Cath

Isn't vienna the port of entry? By just being in 'in transit' then you don't officially enter Paris/France. I often fly via Amsterdam (from UK) to other European destinations and I've never gone through customs at Amsterdam

Jul 7th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Christina

I've done that same flight but I think I had about 1 hr and just made it. You do not go through customs in Paris, you don't even have your baggage so you couldn't, as it will go directly through on the airline. You might make it, you might not. It was very tight when I did it and the shuttle buses that take you around the airport can take quite a while, I think they have to go to terminal F before going to D. AF did try to expedite things for us going on to Vienna, so you might just make it if your plane is on time or a little early. I would also try to book a flight to Vienna an hour or so later than you have, if you have that choice, I know they have several flights to Vienna around the middle of the day and I think they have about about an hour or so after the one you've booked. However, if you've already booked it, I don't think you can change without penalty. Actually, if you don't make it, they will probably put you on the next flight anyway, so your only risk is that the plane will be full and you'll be stuck.

Jul 8th, 2000, 04:19 PM
Bob

If a travel agent made your flight plans s/he should be chastised for making a connection with that little time! They usually have time guidelines to follow and 45 minutes won't do it.

Jul 8th, 2000, 08:38 PM
kam

I have been told, rather nastily by an AA representative re: connection at DFW, that "45 minutes is the minimum and so therefore, is acceptable for a connection." CDG is pretty big and so I would have doubts, but then nothing is as terrible for connections as DFW! In the last several years, I've been successful making the 45 min. connection at DFW about 30 percent of the time. Good luck.