Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is 4 nights too long in Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-4-nights-too-long-in-venice-44258/)

Marcie May 13th, 1999 10:34 AM

Is 4 nights too long in Venice?

We are going to Europe in September and have to following itenerary: <BR>3 nights in Madrid <BR>4 nights in Venice <BR>4 nights in Milan <BR>I'm now wondering if maybe we should switch to 4 nights in Madrid and only 3 nights in Venice? My hubby is concerned that (unlike Rome or Paris)there isn't enough to do in Venice for so long. This will be our first trip to all three cities. Thanks. Marcie

Donna May 13th, 1999 10:44 AM

I prefer more days in Venice to Milan. For me, two nights in Milan is enough. It is going to be a matter of what you want to do! Venice is so unique, so elegant, so old, so different from anything else, no vehicles, all that glass, the masks, the restaurants, etc, no cars, you are walking . . .Milan is a big city, with beautiful sights,the Duomo, the Galleria, the Last Supper, you may need more time! Tough decision, but I prefer more time in Venice.

lisa May 13th, 1999 11:04 AM

I strongly agree -- less time in Milan. Given the amount of time you have to work with, I would only spend 2 nights in Milan and add one more night in Madrid and one more in Venice also.

elvira May 13th, 1999 11:27 AM

I'm with Donna; Milan is worth one night maybe. Venice itself has lots to see and do; then there are the islands (the "-anos"). Day trips to Padua, Vicenza.. there's a boat that travels the canal that goes by Padua, etc. for a visit to the Palladian villas along the way. My vote is for one night in Milan, 5 nights Madrid, 5 nights Venice...

cheryl May 13th, 1999 11:48 AM

Another vote for only 1 night in Milan. Everything you want to do can easily be done in less than 2 days. For our upcoming trip, although we are flying out of Milan, we aren't even spending any time there. We're skipping the city altogether in favor of another night in Venice. I could easily spend at least 4 days in Venice. The city itself is plenty to do, and with the museums, churches, and islands you'll be enchanted every minute.

David May 13th, 1999 12:23 PM

Another vote for one night in Milan ..maximum and spend longer in Venice. Also consider staying a night in Bologna whilst travelling between Venice and Milan.Its not too far out of your way and is a real gem. <BR>

Beth May 13th, 1999 12:23 PM

Hi Marcie, <BR>the only thing you can do is sit down with your guide books and decide what you want to see, what your priorities are, and then decide which city is more important. Probably 4 nights isn't really "enough" for any of them, so you have to prioritize. <BR> <BR>I know I'm spending 3 nights in Venice this fall, and it won't enough. I want to fit in the Basilica St Marco, the Doge's Palace, the Bargello Museum, the Guggenheim collection, a visit to Murano for the glass factory, a visit to Burano for the lacemaking and the pretty painted houses, a gondola ride, shopping, the Rialto market, a visit to the Jewish ghetto, and plenty of time to just walk around and get lost and see the buildings and churches and campos. I'll never do it all, but I know I won't be bored! And I won't have time for any of the daytrips outside of Venice that sound really great.

Paulo May 13th, 1999 12:38 PM

The Bargello, Beth? You'll have to do a day trip to Florence :-) Maybe you meant the Galleria dell'Accademia! <BR> <BR>You're right ... you won't be able to fit everything you listed in! And you didn't even mention the Scuola San Rocco (1 hour), the Frari and San Zanipolo churches (1 hour each), ... <BR> <BR>Marcie, my vote goes to Madrid (4), Venice (4), Verona (1) and Milan (2). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. Are you flying from Madrid to Venice?

Beth May 13th, 1999 12:57 PM

ummm... uhhh...I made that mistake on purpose just to make sure you could catch it. yeah, that's the ticket! Anyways, I AM going from Venice to Florence :-)

Brian in Atlanta May 13th, 1999 01:06 PM

Whoa! 7 different responses in 2 hours! Is this a great forum or what?

Helen May 13th, 1999 02:18 PM

You said it, Brian! By contrast, I posted a question on the Canada forum two days ago, and it's languishing away there. You can go without checking it for hours, and the order of the topics will be unchanged when you return. What a difference.! No wonder someone was driven to post a Mexico question here!

s.fowler May 13th, 1999 04:03 PM

Depends on who you're spending the nights WITH? <BR> <BR>[Sorry...been a loooooooong week :(] <BR>

Teri May 13th, 1999 08:42 PM

Is 4 nights in Venice too long? You know, I asked myself that very question last June, on my 3rd night... And I think it was. Why? Surely because I was there in June, and it was my last stop of a 2 week vacation. I was ready to go home, and instead I was hip-to-hip with tourists, tourists. You probably won't share that experience since you're going in Sept., but I would advise to do some reading, and be prepared to take those "side trips" that are mentioned elsewhere in this forum. I absolutely loved getting on a boat and going to the smaller islands, Murano, Burano. I was quite surprised at how little nightlife was happening in "my" neighborhood (Dorsoduro) and I was utterly amazed at the number of vacationers in Venice: Europeans, Americans, Canadians, Japanese, Australians. I think a few Italians, too... Anyway, not to go against the flow, but 4 nights was 1 too long for me.

Linda May 13th, 1999 09:04 PM

<BR>You can never have enough nights in Venice as far as I am concerned. It is just heavenly. Best city in the world by far!! As for Milan, thumbs down here. Ugh. I am no fan of Madrid either. Barcelona is far more interesting.

Denise May 14th, 1999 04:16 AM

Had 3 nights cuddling, listening to the music in S.Marco Sq. 4 nights cuddling wandering from band to band .....ahhhh....

Jack May 14th, 1999 05:29 AM

You can NEVER spend too much time in Venice!!! My last stay there was three nights, and that wasn't long enough, In addition to Murano, Burano, you can also visit Giudecca, Lido... <BR> <BR>Just wandering through the sestiere is wonderful also, there are dozens and dozens of wonderful churches to visit (to me, each one is an art museum!). My best moments in Venice were spent exploring many wonderful little corners of the city which were NOT described in the tour books! <BR> <BR>Even if you think you've seen everything, an extra day to kick back at an outdoor caffe and watch the world go by would be extra relaxing. <BR> <BR>

deb Oct 17th, 1999 08:56 AM

You can never spend too much time in Venice -- if the weather is nice you can spend time at the lido on the beach. Head back around 3:30 in the afternoon as the tourists get tired and head home for a rest you can then walk the city without facing as many of the crowds. Splurge and have expensive (very very expensive) drinks on the terrace of the Gritti in the early evening. Every once in a while I hear about people who have not enjoyed their stay and I think it is because they tried to go the exact route that everyone else was going at the same time. I have lived there over the summer twice and never had a problem as long as you use your head and don't head to the most popular destinations at 10:30 in the morning or 2:00 in the afternoon.

Don Oct 18th, 1999 12:27 PM

So, now it’s October--how was your trip. Don't tell, please, that 4 nights was too long in Venice--impossible after Milano and Madrid (my opinion). I will be four nights in Venice, two weeks hence. Can't wait; wish it were longer.