Is 36 hours worth it in Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in London for 8 nights in October. Would it be worth the time and effort to fly to Edinburgh one morning and come back the next night?

I know there is so much to see and do in London just trying to decide if it is worth losing time in London and will 36 hours make a dent in Edinburgh.

I have never been to either, DH has been to London and only briefly to Edinburgh. We have enough BA avios for free flights [except fees].

Thanks~
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Administrator

This is a Reply test by Fodor's Travel QA_20170314164232
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 02:45 PM

We loved Edinburgh! I would definitely want more than 36 hours there though. Can you spare 2 nights?
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Well, the thing is ... the hotel in London is prepaid and non refundable, so we will in essence be paying twice for those nights. And then, I don't want to take away too much time from London!

Hotel recommendations would be welcomed.

The Bonham??
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 04:34 PM
kja

I'd want more time than 36 hours in Edinburgh, but you could see some wonderful things in that time!

One thing you might want to consider is the "sunk cost fallacy" (google it!). If you've already paid for your hotel in London, then frankly, that money is gone. Making plans simply because you have prepaid is not always the most reasonable thing to do! (I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do -- just pointing out that even if you have prepaid for a hotel in London, giving up one pre-paid night there might not be the worst possible decision.)

Good luck!
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 04:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
From time to time I make a late decision to change plans that involve either paying twice or just losing prepaid costs. I just consider it the cost of improving a trip. I'd suggest 2 nights. For just 1 maybe not worth the bother (more than the money), in which case save it for next time.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 05:10 PM

If this trip is during your London stay and that's how I understand it, have you factored in the time spent flying to/ from Edinburgh? It'll take an hour to get to airport, you will likely need to be there 90 minutes prior to departure, the flight is about 90 minutes ( assuming all goes well ) if I remember correctly. Once at Edinburgh airport it's only about a 30 minute drive into rhe city but, then, that's not considering time to disembark and make your way to transportation. In short you'll spend about 5 hours or 1/2 day each way or about a full day out of your itinerary getting to/ from Edinburgh. IMO not really worth it. I love Edinburgh. It's one of my favorite cities but, in this case, I don't think it's worth sacrificing that much time of your London stay. Save it for later when you can really enjoy it and do the city justice.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 05:23 PM

ttt
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 06:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not cut into your 8 nights in London if this is your first trip. We are going there for the fourth time and have so much left to see.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 10:10 PM

If you'll already be IN central London, it makes no sense to fly. Take the direct train from kings cross to Edinburgh,about 4h20m centre to centre. Sure longer in Edinburgh would be better but it's perfectly feasible to do a short side trip from London.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Gordon - I thought about the train but one of the motivators was that we have 12,000 or so Avios each that we'd like to make use of, doubt we will any other way.

IF we take a flight, which airport in London would be easiest/fastest to use?

IF we took a 9 am flight, all the time before [transit, security and waiting would be way earlier than we'd be out and about in London, so it's really the length of flight and time into Edinburgh proper. Coming back to London, we'd stay fairly late, taking as late a flight back as we can to maximize time.

I should see what train fare would be, maybe if it isn't that much, it's a better option, even though the Avios won't get used.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 04:39 AM

I definitely think Edinburgh is worth it. Spend your time along the Royal Mile and be sure to check out all the creepy alleys and "closes". Wonderful architecture and castle. Pop in to a scottish pub and try haggis and scotch. So much fun
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 04:46 AM

London City airport would be the fastest, most efficient option. Easy to get out there on the DLR.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 05:01 AM

I may be a bit of a contrarian, but there are so many great side-trips you can do from London that are closer that I'd probably do one of those: Cambridge, Oxford, Windsor, Hampton Court, even Greenwich. Some (Windsor, Hampton Court, Greenwich) are quite close, while Cambridge and Oxford are farther. But they are all easier to do and get you back to London the same day.

I guess if you are really aching to burn your miles, then do that, but since your hotel is paid and there is so much to see and do in and around London, I'd probably stick a bit closer to home.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 05:32 AM

<i>We have enough BA avios for free flights [except fees].</i>

Oh, I missed that bit. However the cost of the fees - which the avios points can't be used to pay for - are often the lion's share of the total ticket cost. Looking at a few random dates, it seems that the fees alone are around £50pp, which is probably more than a return trip on the train would be if bought in advance.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Good thoughts, Gordon, again.

Train tickets available 6 months in advance, is that correct?
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 06:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We took the 6am train from Kings Cross and were in Edinburgh about 11am. On to the hotel and you would be sightseeing by noon.

Visit the castle the first day and then spend most of the second day on the Royal Mile.

What I always consider, are we in the future coming back this way.

If the answer is no, go to Edinburgh.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 06:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you do it (it would be totally doable) flying wouldn't make sense. If you book far enough ahead trains won't cost much more than the BA fees. By tbe time you factor in the time/cost getting to/from the airports, trains will likely be cheaper and definitely more convenient.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 06:54 AM

Why do people constantly think that quantity means something? Always wanting to add on 'just one more stop' etc. as if it will somehow enhance their travel experience.

You say 8 nights in London. Presumably, the first night is the night of your arrival day and you fly out on the 9th day. That means you actually have 7 full days to spend.

If you are saying you actually don't think London has enough to hold your interest for 7 days, there is room to consider your plan.

But it does have to make sense that you will lose at least 1 full day to going/returning. In return for that you will get 2 half days in Edinburgh more or less. That is a direct 1 to 1 ratio. You are losing a day just to get one day there. That is an extremely high cost in time.

Regarding early rising to get their sooner. That again has a cost. I for one do not like to get up before 8am. Getting up at 5 or 6 to catch an early train is not my idea of what a vacation is about. If someone said to me, 'catch the 6am train', I'd laugh at them and reply, 'when I'm on vacation! You must be joking.' The cost of 6am trains is in relaxation cost.

I get up at 8am, am ready to go for breakfast at 9am and then ready to leave the hotel by 10am. Any earlier than that is not a vacation pace to me.

Here's a tip. If you find yourself looking at your watch a lot when on vacation, you're doing something wrong.

If London does not hold your interest for 7 days, just hop on a train for no more than an hour to visit something nearby that interests you. There is no need to lose an entire day getting to/from Edinburgh. It's not worth that cost for the time you will get in Edinburgh.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

I hear you, dogeared. Only thing I can say in defense of my early train or plane is that we ALWAYS get up early, at home or vacation. That's just us so it would be no issue at all to be on a 6 am train for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -