Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is 30m too small for a party of 4? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-30m-too-small-for-a-party-of-4-a-685655/)

annikany Mar 7th, 2007 02:46 AM

Is 30m too small for a party of 4?

Hi all,
I am searching out different places to stay in Sweden. All places list how big they are but I don't think I understand just what they mean. I found a place that is the right number of beds and the right amenities but seems like it might be too small. Just how big is 30m? Does it break down to room size? Is it the circumference of the property itself? 30m but on 2 floors? Are any of you familiar with this and know how to explain it to me. I know it should be simple to figure out but it has me puzzled. I can give more info on the place I'm looking at if that would help.
Thanks,
Annika

Sue_xx_yy Mar 7th, 2007 03:45 AM

I can only assume they meant 30 SQUARE metres, it makes no sense to give dimensions in length or periphery. A square metre is 10.76 square feet, so if it is indeed 30 square metres, you're looking at about 322 square feet, or a room about the same size as one 25 feet long by 13 feet wide. That's about the size of our living room and dining room combined (yes, our house is small) but the point is, it's about 2 small rooms. You could fit 4 people into the space, but depending on what else it is supposed to contain (is this an apartment) the quarters could be close. Bon voyage (or the equivalent in Swedish!)

annikany Mar 7th, 2007 03:49 AM

Thanks. A little more research tells me it is square meters. Yes, even that does seem a little cramped. Your reply was most helpful.
Annika

TommieG Mar 7th, 2007 03:51 AM

I think thatthey mean that the (surface)area of the place is 30 square metres. An easy example; the place could for instance be 10 metres long and 3 metres wide, or 5 by 3 on two floors. If you are not familiair witht the metric system: one metre is a little more than 3 feet (1 feet is about 0,30 metre) .

30 square metre isn't very big for four, but when cleverly lay-out, it could be big enough. If I was going to stay there, I would at least want two bedrooms.

My advice; look for a slighty larger place!

TommieG Mar 7th, 2007 03:57 AM

My reaction seems a little late, but while I was typing, someone else reacted before me!!

annikany Mar 7th, 2007 11:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think it would be wise to find a bigger place. Now I have a better idea of how much room there is.
Thanks,
Annika

bob_brown Mar 7th, 2007 02:09 PM

You should ask if the 30 square meters includes the bathroom! If it does, then the sleeping space will be very small indeed.

Also, if the room has no closet for hanging clothes and storing suitcases, that means that there is a cabinet or armoire of some type taking up even more floor space.

If the bath is separate and excluded from the 30 sqm, then you might have an area about 20 x 16 feet. That should be enough for 4 single beds.

I once stayed in a hotel room about that area. The room had beds for 4 people with a double bed in a loft accessed by a steep staircase. Not too bad because there was storage space under the loft.

It is all in the configuration.