Is 3 nights in frankfurt too much ?

Apr 7th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Sanjeev

Is 3 nights in frankfurt too much ?

This summer i have booked my family for 3 nights in frankfurt and 6 in Paris. The only reason for frankfurt is that I want to see Heidelberg with my family.# nights because I do not like to go any place where I check in 1 day and check out the next day.

But looking at the postings here,i am wondering if 3 nights is too long and what will I do there .

Will be very grateful for your suggestions.

Apr 7th, 2002, 08:41 AM
john

Sanjeev,
That's a good question about Frankfurt - "... what will I do there?" We lived in Aschaffenburg for over two years and rarely went to Frankfurt. Once to visit some bookstores, once for some shopping, and once for the zoo.
Other features of Fa/M are high prices and big city traffic. The train station is the only place in Europe where I have seen druggies with needles going in their arm.
If you are visiting Heidelberg a Gasthaus in the vicinity would be a treat. There are plenty of dorfs along the Rhine River. Take a cruise and see some castles.
www.enjoy-europe.com

Apr 7th, 2002, 10:08 AM
jayne

One night in Frankfurt is too much. They call it "Krankfurt" - ie "Sick" furt, and with good reason. It's as dull as hell. Why don't you stay in Heidelberg instead?

Jayne

Apr 7th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Steve Mueller

John's response was right on target. If you find Frankfurt too dull, head over to the Rhine Valley. Rudesheim is only 45 minutes from Frankfurt.

Apr 7th, 2002, 02:11 PM
NANCY

YES Germany is beautiful. 3 hours is enough in Frankfurt.

Apr 7th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Tom

Spent a week in Frankfurt one night. Just kidding, but get thee away from there.

I'd suggest a quick trip to Heldelburg and then cruise the Rhine from Mainz to Cologne. Then drive down or train down the Mosel from Koblenz to Trier. Spend the night in Koblenz and Trier.

Then on to Paris....but no time in Frankfurt!

Apr 7th, 2002, 11:02 PM
Sanjeev

Based on your inputs,I have decided to drop my plan for Frankfurt. However, I am still fixated on Heidelberg.

What is your opinion on Cologne as a base. I found out that it has a good rail connection from Amsterdam,from where I will be coming and also to Paris where I will be going.

Will like your opinion and also how many days-- 2 or 3 and what else to do there.

Thanks a lot.

Apr 7th, 2002, 11:20 PM
xxx

I am glad you asked this--I never knew Franfurt had such a bad rep. Now I will stay away. Hmmmm. I wonder why the german government do something about it..

Apr 8th, 2002, 08:25 PM
indefense

OK, OK, OK, it's not THAT bad - it HAS its charm, and there ARE some good museums, and it HAS a few things to see. Granted, the rest of Germany is nicer, but "the government needs to do something about it" is GREATLY exaggerated - it's just a regular city with regular city problems.

Apr 9th, 2002, 09:33 PM
travel girl

Auto Show?

I'll be in Frankfurt in late september/early october. Does anyone know when the Frankfurt Auto Show is? Know a website for it?

Thanks

Apr 10th, 2002, 08:29 AM
john

travel girl,
Since you're into autos, you would probably appreciate the auto museum in Aschaffenburg. I forget the name of it but it is on Obernauerstrasse on the south edge of town near the Main River. An eccentric collected a hundred or so cars from Europe and the USA.

Apr 10th, 2002, 09:15 AM
alice

Heidelberg is a great place to visit, and if that is your major destination in Germany why not make this your base? It is approx. a 3 hour train trip from Frankfurt. From here you can also make a day trip up to the Rhine River and go on an hour cruise to see the castles, and if you want even go to Cologne. If you want to stay in each go to Heidelberg for 2-3 with a side trip and Cologne for 1-2. Enjoy.

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:44 AM
none

Hey Travel Girl,

For more info on the auto show (it's huge) go to www.iaa.de (it's also in English). The public days are Thursday, September 12 – Thursday, September 19, 2002. Have fun in Frankfurt!

And Savjeev, Frankfurt's not as bad as the people on this board will have you believe (I know, I used to live there). However, if it's the fairytale Germany that you're seeking, you will have to venture outside of the city. Enjoy!

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Amy

Oh jeez...I have to go to Frankfurt for a week long meeting in July! Now I'm dreading it a bit! I didn't realize Frankfurt was such an unpleasant city...definitely not looking forward to spending a week there now!

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:49 PM
snorkelman

yep, as for Frankfurt – skip this town. Frankfurt is the banking/financial center of Germany (and therefore Europe). There is nothing really worth seeing here except modern architecture. If you really want to see this part of Germany, choose Mannheim or Heidelberg instead