Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   is 3 days in florence enough?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-3-days-in-florence-enough-291252/)

ladybug Feb 21st, 2003 05:54 PM

is 3 days in florence enough??

i have done some of my own research~but since this is my first trip to Italy, i still feel a little out of the loop, no matter how much i read! i couldnt find much info on Hotel Croce di Malta (Florence), aside from its own website, no "rants/raves" etc, any opinion would be grealty appreciated~also i will be traveling by train from naples to florence~which will give me 2 1/2 days in florence~wondering if i should increase my length of stay there~thanks so much for any input!! :)

BATUFFOLINA Feb 21st, 2003 06:34 PM

3 days in Florence is enought if you want to stuck to its monuments and museums (Palazzo della Signoria, Uffizi Museum -worth to be visited, the Dome all of these are in the very town centre). Should you find yourself there having visited all you want and having no idea on where to go, just take a local train to Pisa and spend the day visitng the town of the Leaning Tower!

RufusTFirefly Feb 22nd, 2003 02:05 AM

It's plenty if you are a huge Renaissance nut. It's too long if you're not.

ThinGorjus Feb 22nd, 2003 05:51 AM

You need at least 5 days, 7 would be better. There is just too much to see in Florence for a trip of 3 days. But, if you only have 3, stick to seeing the important things. Here is MY list:<BR>1. David at Accademia<BR>2. Duomo<BR>3. Uffizi<BR>4. Boboli Gardens<BR>5. Brancacci Chapel<BR>6. Bargello<BR>7. Santa Croce<BR>8. Santa Maria Novella<BR>9. Piazza Signoria<BR>10. Walk along Arno and over Ponte Vecchio.

ladybug Feb 22nd, 2003 05:52 AM

thanks so much for the info--i think i'll stick with my original plan~:)

ladybug Feb 22nd, 2003 05:53 AM

whoa--thanks for the mini itinerary--thats great--just what i had in mind!

Patrick Feb 22nd, 2003 06:54 AM

ThinGorjus, you have given a good itinerary for Florence. You can easily do all that (and pretty thoroughly) in two full days. What are you suggesting for the other 5 days if you stayed for 7???

ThinGorjus Feb 22nd, 2003 07:34 AM

Patrick, yes, you can see all these sites in 3 days, but at breakneck speed. I like to saunter, not run while I am on holiday. <BR><BR>If you had more days in Florence, you could also go to Farmacia SMN, Pitti Palace, Medici Chapel, Synagogue, Santo Spirito, and go shopping.

cmt Feb 22nd, 2003 07:47 AM

I agree with Thingorjus, but it really depends how long your entire stay in Italy will be and where else you definitely want to go on this trip.

ladybug Feb 22nd, 2003 08:27 AM

truly appreciate all of your thoughts--i plan on arriving in florence after spending 4 days in rome, 2 in capri--then 3 in florence, 3 in venice--what about my hotel choice-hotel croce di malta--im looking for a decent place-quiet, good location-reasonable price---i find myself obsessing over location--but you all know the saying--location, location, location--does it apply? again--its my first trip to italy--thanks everybody!!!!