Search

Austria and Czech Republic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austria and Czech Republic

Dear Fodorites, I still need help!
We are picking up car in Munich in May. Driving to Salzburg, driving a part of the Austrian Romantic Road to Vienna, Prague, departing from Berlin (flights available from here using my miles).
This is what I have written in pencil:
Salzburg - 3 nights
To Vienna- 3 nights : would like to stay in Hallstaat, but take the north loop through Bad Ischl, Linz, Steyr ... any suggestions here would be highly appreciated
Vienna - 4 nights
Cesky Krumlov - 1 night ?? OR should this be done as a side trip on the way to Vienna?
Prague - 3 - 4 nights (visit Kutna Hora?)
This leaves us 3 or 4 nights (depending if we stay the 4th night in Prague) to get to Berlin.
Also, my husband's ancestors come from Rájov, Mnichov, Czech Republic - about 2 hours from Prague and are thinking of driving through there on way to Berlin.

I would love to experience an opera and/or ballet in Austria - how can I best arrange for this ahead of time and where would be a good place to go? Reasonably priced!
Will go to Eagles Nest from Salzburg, World Heritage Museum in Hallstatt, The Abbey in Melk - need help with best way to do this one.
What are good city Tour operators in Vienna and Prague? Or private guides?
I can spend a few hours in a museum, but not days!
I have been reading lots of tour books - and there is so much to choose from. I am on overwhelm mode.
I would love help with being selective in the best of these areas.
Where to stay suggestions - we prefer B & B's or small hotels.
Thank you all.
PS Michael, I love all your photos!
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 11:00 AM

Regarding Cesky Krumlov, I would stay overnight if you can. I was only there as a day trip and would have really liked to stay longer just to wander around and enjoy it.

If you want to see an opera in Austria, I can't think of a better place than the Staatsoper in Vienna. I saw La Traviata there several years ago, and it was wonderful. The beautiful opera house is a treat in itself. You can buy tickets ahead of time on their website, and can, of course, choose which category of seating you want, from center orchestra to upper balcony. I purchased the tickets in advance and picked them up from the box office on the day of the performance.

If you want to visit a couple of great museums, I would recommend the Kuntshistorisches Museum (old masters painting and some sculptures) in Vienna. It is one of the best in the world. The Treasury (or Schatzkammer) at the Hofburg in Vienna is amazing too and is a quick visit. The Gemaldegalerie in Berlin is nice, but if you just do one museum in Berlin, I think it should be the Pergamon Museum with the Pergamon Altar, Ishtar Gate and Market Gate from Miletus.

What types of things do you like? Castles, churches, architecture, history, art?
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 11:15 AM
jgg

I agree about spending a night in Cesky Krumlov. We did spend the night and really loved the night tour we did, and just having the extra time in this very charming town. Plus, one of our favorite meals of the trip at U Dobraka (Siroka 74).

In Prague we did two private tours through http://www.prague-guide.info. Sarka the owner is highly recommended here and on TA. She was not available but we had her father, Milan, who was wonderful. We did a tour with him through the Jewish Ghetto and one to Terezin.

We stayed in a B&B called Haus am Moos (http://www.ammoos.at) that we really liked just a few minutes outside of Salzburg. It was an excellent location for visiting Salzburg and the region. There is a public garage for the city that was very easy to get to and always easy to find parking when we went to Salzburg if you have a car, which it sounds like you will. BTW, we did a similar trip though started and ended in Munich instead of Berlin and did not do Vienna but did Fussen. We drove the entire time and found it very easy driving. Parked the car in a public garage in Prague while we were there - no problems.

We only spent an afternoon in Hallstat but I could definitely see the appeal of spending overnight if you have the time.

Here is a link to my trip report along with pictures you may find helpful:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...ublic-austria/
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM

Make sure the car rental company will allow you to drive to Prague and CR generally. Prague is a car-theft haven, the CR is a former Iron Curtain country and agencies may have restrictions on their cars being taken there.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 01:05 PM
jgg

BigRuss makes a good point. We rented through Andy at gemut.com. He has always been very helpful with no problems. We had no issues taking the car in CR, but they did say they wouldn't let Mercedes and Audis go into CR and then gave us a Mercedes when we picked the car up in Munich, so that is what we drove throughout the trip with no problems. There were 6 of us and it was a van so maybe that's why???
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will definitely look into staying a night on Cesky Krumlov. Should we do this on the way in to Prague or the way out?

About the car: we are purchasing it with European delivery: that is how this trip is happening: bartering with the spouse!
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Rather: on the way to Vienna?
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 02:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
In C. Krumlov, do try to ge tickets to the tour of the baroque theater at the castle! Only a couple of English tours each day and limited to the number of participants (no more than 20 if I recall correctly). Great tour!

Only a very few baroque theaters remain in the world.... for good reason! Go and you will see what I mean!
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

jgg, I have thoroughly enjoyed your trip report! So wonderful to see your kids smiling. We took our 3 of our kids to Europe for 5 weeks in 1992 and just looked at our video...
Many good ideas - like mention of the tandem. I don't ride a bike, but maybe I can do a tandem? lol
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 03:28 PM

you may be limited as to what type of car you can take into former eastern countries.. gemut is fantastic and will guide you.

CK is wond3erful.. I would love 2 nights there.

music is fantastic in prague too... I booked on line but I have forgotten where... start with theatre's box offices.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 04:38 PM
jgg

nanael - glad you enjoyed the trip report! You should try a Segway. We did it for the first time in Rome in March and it was a blast!! I believe they are in most of the big cities you are going to!
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Delaine: the Staatsoper looks huge! Do I have to get the most expensive seats to enjoy??
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 10:32 AM

It's large but really no larger than similar venues in the U.S. I think you could enjoy from less expensive seats; you could certainly hear well anywhere you were. There are also tiny little display screens on the back of each seat (so you will have one in front of you) that shows the words being sung; you can choose the language (at least between German and English, maybe more).

You will see people there in all kinds of attire as well -- casual day wear, dressy, cocktail and even a full length dress or two and an occasional fur.

I would also recommend the tour of the castle and baroque theater in Cesky Krumlov. The theater, especially, was very interesting. Make sure you notice the views of the town below framed through the openings in the walls around the castle -- stunning!
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all!
I am still trying to figure out the best way to route us:
Salzburg to Vienna including Hallstatt, Bad Ischl, Melk and Cesky Krumlov. Looks like back-tracking will be inevitable but still, what would be best? Any ideas??
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 03:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I stopped in Bad Ischl for lunch, a quick look around and a visit to the palace hunting lodge.... my opinion is that it can be passed by. Too many other places in the area to spend better time!

Although I did meet a young middle eastern man around college-age while I was eating my lunch. He and a few of his friends were apparently friendly with the young guy running the restaurant. He asked if he could sit and talk with me while I had my lunch! Very nice guy, works at one of the hotels in town.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 12:45 AM

Bookmarking many thanks for the information.