Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is $1600 enough for two people for a week in Italy in late September? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-1600-enough-for-two-people-for-a-week-in-italy-in-late-september-326681/)

drummer0002 Jun 12th, 2003 06:42 AM

Is $1600 enough for two people for a week in Italy in late September?

Is $1800 enough for two people for a week in Italy for hotel, transportation, and spending money (does not include airfare)in late September?
We can use our FF miles for the airfares.
Also, we would like to go to Tuscany, Venice and Rome. I am budgeting about $120 or so for hotel. Is this reasonable?

AP6380 Jun 12th, 2003 06:50 AM

So that $840 for hotel, and that will leave you with $960. That leaves you with $137 per day.

I am assuming you will be taking public transport? You will be fine as long as you aren't going to expensive retaurants every night and spending a lot of $$ on drinks.

HowardR Jun 12th, 2003 06:53 AM

You should be okay, as long as you aware that there'll be no luxuries!
More important: If you are planning to use FF miles for a September trip, you better call immediately. You may already be too late! And, before you call, double check what kind of flexibility you have concerning travel days.

drummer0002 Jun 12th, 2003 06:59 AM

thanks for replying.
we do not expect luxuries but we do like to be comfortable enough.

DRJ Jun 12th, 2003 07:23 AM

Drummer: Its doable for that $. I would get my airline tickets now.

Bootman4U Jun 12th, 2003 07:59 AM

That amount would not be enough for me, personally, but I agree it is doable. I definitely recommend you check out hotel space using discount sites such as discounthotels.com..it is foolish to pay full price when you don't have to. Only drawback might be having to pay up front..but with the Euro as it is paying now might be better (could also be worse) than ever.
Use ATMs to get money..avoid change kiosks.
I wouldn't settle for anything not air conditioned..it is already in the 70's and 80's in Rome..I know I was just there....but perhaps that isn't an issue for you and that's OK. I hope you've already got the seats on the plane..if not, get them now.
Venice is, I think, THE most expensive city in Italy..even for food (and I am not talking about high end restaurants, either..the Venetians are still good at "thievery" but in such a glorious setting we don't seem to care as much) so keep that in mind, too. Rick Steves' guidebook or Lonely Planet may be helpful in this sort of situation.

Melissa1 Jun 12th, 2003 09:08 AM

To save while you're here, don't go to restaurants for lunch. Stop in at a local focaciaria and get something to go. There are lots of bars where you can get a sandwich, cafe, and crossants for under 5 Euro. I think you can do it. In Tuscany visiting a local vineyard often means paying local prices for wine. We paid 6 Euro a bottle at ours. Wonderful Chianti!
Do your research and check out Rick Steves guides. He'll help you save money!
Have fun,
Melissa

Jennie Jun 12th, 2003 09:23 AM

Hi drummer 0002:

I think you can totally do it. I am planning a 3-week trip to Europe (London, Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome) for the last 2 weeks of Sept. and the first week of October and that's, approximately, my budget too.My plan is to eat cheap most of the time and splurge on two good meals per location.

Also, you might be able to save some $$ on your hotel budget. In 3-weeks, I'm not spending over $50/night (I'm in a double w/ another person) for lodging anywhere. For example, in Florence, we're paying €75 for a double w/ bath . . . well under our $50 per person budget. SO . . . if you did something similar, you could shift that extra $20/night to another part of your budget . . . food or whatever.

At any rate, with some careful planning, it can definitely be
done!

Good luck,
Jennie

LJ Jun 12th, 2003 09:24 AM

I am going to disagree with the others because of your itinerary. I have done some math and can't quite figure out how you could reasonably do the three different steps of your trip (plus return for two) in a week which according to my math leaves you with just over $100 per day for two for food, museum entrances, in-city transportation et al. That is pretty slim and leaves NO margin.

Sorry to be a party-pooper but I am sometimes in charge of student groups and they stay in hostels and still budget more than you guys seem to be doing IF they are changing cities. Venice, especially is pricier than your budget would seem to permit.

jor Jun 12th, 2003 09:46 AM

I spent $100 per day and stayed at $15 hostels. That means if you stay at a $120 hotel you will spend $290 per day for two if you did the typical tours, transportation, etc as I did. $290 X 7 days = $2030. Find a cheaper Hotel.

buckspc Jun 12th, 2003 03:35 PM

If you are paying 75 euros for a room you are well over your 50 dollar limit. Euro is almost 1.20 us, so 50 dollars would be 40 euros. Buck

Holly_uncasdewar Jun 12th, 2003 09:17 PM

Jennie: Where are you staying in Florence for 75 E. for a double per night with bath? Website?

Jennie Jun 13th, 2003 08:00 AM

Good morning everyone:

buckspc:

I'm not sure if you noticed it in my post, but the €75 I'm paying in Florence is for a double. I'm splitting that with another person. It's €37.5 each (today, that comes in at about $45).

Holly:

The hotel is Hotel Dali (www.hoteldali.com). I have a friend who stayed at this hotel last year and recommended it to me. It's also listed on www.eurocheapo.com which is an independent website geared toward travelers on a budget who, nonetheless, aren't looking to stay in hostel-like accomodations. Hotel Dali has also been favorably mentioned on this message board. If you do a search for it, you should find additional info.

Jennie