Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is $1300 too much to pay (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-1300-too-much-to-pay-370396/)

jvrab12 Oct 21st, 2003 12:16 PM

Is $1300 too much to pay

I have been researching flights for our trip this summer. I was the one who posted the message earlier about going to Europe on a tight time frame.
Is $1300 way too much to pay for the following schedule:
July 29th, 2004 Detroit to Stuttgart, Germany via London (we are for sure going to meet my Sister who will be living in Freiburg, Germany)
August 7th, 2004 Venice to Detroit via JFK
What does everyone think???

ira Oct 21st, 2003 12:27 PM

Hi jv,

It's too early for discount fares for July. You should be able to do RT to FLR, PSA or Venice for about $700 from Detroit.

See http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

they have a current fare of $1037 on BA to Stuttgart.

Michael Oct 21st, 2003 12:27 PM

My impression is that it is too much. On the other hand, I have no specific knowledge of cheaper flights. How did you get the price? Did you try a consolidator?

jvrab12 Oct 21st, 2003 12:32 PM

I just found the flight on Orbitz.com. When is the best time to book flights for July/August?

jmb67 Oct 21st, 2003 12:33 PM

Yes, that is a bit expensive. Since you are not going until July, you have time to wait for better fairs.

Christina Oct 21st, 2003 02:38 PM

I wouldn't book until Jan-Feb at earliest for next July/Aug. Not just because of the fares (and I think $1300 is too much) but because you will save yourself a lot of grief by actually getting a flight that exists and not as many schedule changes. When you book so far ahead, you don't even know if the flight will be there when you want to go.

I just booked a fare for Washington DC to Seville via London next March and already there have been not just schedule changes, but BA cancelled the entire flight and moved it to 6 HOURS LATER!!! So, they want me to do a 9-10 hour layover in Heathrow. I don't think so--you see this is typical of what BA pulls, as I never would have booked that flight with that time schedule as there were 2-3 others that were better. I also found out from the actual carrier (it was a codeshare) that the flight had been cancelled and moved 6 hours later 2-3 weeks before they sold me the ticket under the fake schedule.

Anyway, I have got to tattoo on myself to never fly BA, I've learned that lesson before. (no, I'm not letting this stand, just whining, as I've gotten redress but not without a lot of phone calls and hours of time).

Moral of the story -- don't book too far ahead, you may regret it.

rex Oct 21st, 2003 04:10 PM

I think it's too much to pay, and this would be a good quesdtion to ask a consolidator agency where a real (experienced) human can scour fares that are sold through the consolidator channels.

I would suggest Gur (that's her first name, the owner) of Joy of Travel, in Georgia - - or alternatively, try www.affordablepoland.com (not just for Poland).

Best wishes,

Rex

rhkkmk Oct 21st, 2003 07:42 PM

way too much unless it is business class...should be in the $700-900, but nearer 700...
check it on travelocity or orbitz in march.....

Gretchen Oct 22nd, 2003 03:51 AM

It's an open jaw flight which may well be more expensive. Think about flying round trip from a destination and getting to your other places by train or car. Keep shopping and adjust your itinerary.

seafox Oct 22nd, 2003 04:07 AM

You mention your sister in Stuttgart. If she is in the Army, their on site agent may be able to find a price for you that is reasonable, the open jaw can be a problem...they know the ropes and will help military family. Also, The drive from Venice to Stuttgart can be very beautifull....take the Brenner pass.....it may be worth a r/t via Stuttgart and the drive.

xxxx Oct 22nd, 2003 04:32 AM

I'm no expert, but as others have stated, it does seems high. However, if your dates are not at all flexible, you may have to decide if you can risk waiting. For example, my husband must schedule his vacation in December for the entire next year. There is very little option to change dates once it is done. It's frustrating, but the only choices we then face are paying the price of the ticket and having a confirmed trip or possibly not going at all.

Sue_xx_yy Oct 22nd, 2003 05:01 AM

I don't know your local market for airfare, but you could try a route that goes to FRA (Frankfurt) which is a bigger hub than Stuttgart and might be priced more competitively. (Check your routing, you might be flying via FRA to Stuttgart anyway.)You can then take the train directly to Freiburg in about 3 hours.