Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is $1080 a good price for airfare to Italy from San Francisco in April/May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My husband and I are planning our first real trip since the birth of our daughter a year ago. My husband has never been to Italy, so we have decided to spend a week in Florence. We will fly into Rome and out of Venice just so he can be in those cities, but we have no site seeing intentions in either of them.

Right now, I am getting $1080 including taxes/fees leaving SFO at the end of April and returning in the beginning of May. I'm not familiar with pricing trends to Italy since I usually fly in and out of London and then take a bargain flight wherever I'm going. I searched all of the sites that you usually recommend and this is the lowest price. Do you think it will go down or is this a good one?

Also, the dates are not set at all. If anyone thinks we would be better off going at another time, please let me know.

Thank you so much!
Christie
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Air fares are driven by the competition in a particular market which means that comparing fares from cities other than SFO aren't necessarily going to help you much.

Isn't SFO pretty much dominated by United?

When you say you have checked every site I assume you included www.onetravele.com and www.itasoftware.com www.mobissimo.com

Although on the face of it that seems a bit high we keep hearing that fares will continue to rise unless there are sales
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Not great. I fly out of SFO and took a flight in April into London for about $600 nonstop British Air. Have you looked at flying into London (seem to be the lowest fares) and then doing Ryan Air or Easy Jet into Rome-they offer those incredibly low fares if they jell with your schedule? I don't think you can go nonstop to Rome from SFO anyway.

Haven't looked into flights on this route recently and don't know how much going into Rome jacks up the price.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick replies.

Yes, I did look at www.onetravele.com www.itasoftware.com www.mobissimo.com.

ChrisCal, that is how I usually get to Europe, but since this is going to be a shorter trip, I don't want to spend so much time getting there (changing airports, etc).

I did just check the London flights and they are at $750 round trip for the same time frame.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I am honestlky not trying to be UNhelpful but April is NOT when you are going to fly. Sounds as if you know the differences in prices so I guess it comes down to is it worth that extra $350 NOT to have to change planes and possibly airports.

I know it is not an easy decision to make and i honestly wish I could offer more.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I would wait, that price is reasonable but not great. You still have plenty of time before April so I would recommend you continue to check for the next few months. There may be a Fall drop in prices (but again the age old issue that there may not be and prices continue to go up...)
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I agree that you should wait until yearend to beginning of 2007. The airlines may have airfare specials like they did this year.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I will wait and keep searching!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For your searching, try:

www.kayak.com
www.farecompare.com