Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is 10 days too much time to hang out in Hvar?? Can Americans do what Europeans do and just relax??

Search

Is 10 days too much time to hang out in Hvar?? Can Americans do what Europeans do and just relax??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have got a couple of great comments on itinerary on other thread and wanted to post on this issue particularly.

We are a family of 4 with 2 little kids planning trip to Croatia. I wanted a week in Hvar - maybe 10 days. Ferries are working out that we have 10 days in Hvar. We also have 6 days in Dub as part of trip. I think if I cut days out of Hvar I might just cut down total trip vs. go somewhere else in order to not have too many stops in the trip.

Some feedback suggests maybe that is too much time in Hvar. I also thought this a bit when planning trip. But we are with little kids and though just hanging out and relaxing would be good. I do worry that being an American family hanging out and relaxing for 10 days on an island is something we don't know how to do! Europeans go to Hvar and other islands for 2 weeks plus right???? I would like to see other parts of the island too but would like to avoid hauling car seats and really bothering with car rental. Are there buses?

Thanks everybody

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Maybe you don't know how to just hang out and relax, but hundreds of thousands of Americans (actually, probably millions) have exactly that kind of vacation every year.

Others don't.

It just depends on your personality.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 09:16 AM

There are buses on Hvar (and taxis). The one thing - there aren't a copious amount of schedule runs and I'm pretty sure there aren't any at night. The buses do meet the ferries in the various towns and I found that it was fairly easy to flag down the bus when returning from a secluded cove.

On my first trip, I spent 8 nights on Hvar - and even though I did a couple day excursions, near the end of the week I wanted to try another island.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:10 PM

I would consider splitting the time more equally between Hvar and Dubrovnik.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Having been to Hvar and some of the other islands in the Adriatic, I would have to say that my personal interests would wane a bit after about 5 to 6 days. But there are neat little villages all over the island, and the natives in general are friendly and curious about visitors. What you won't find once out of major tourist areas is a lot of English-speaking people. I made out OK using a combination of Italian and Russian while I was there.

If you are going to be there for ten days, I'd suggest you plan to take a bus to some of the villages along the highway that runs the length of the island. You should enjoy visiting real people in those villages. You can also get a boat out of the Hvar city harbor to other neighboring small islands, including a nudist beach.

If you do have ten days, just make a plan and I think you'll enjoy the time. Good luck.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 03:08 AM

"Europeans go to Hvar and other islands for 2 weeks plus right????" Yes, and particularly with little kids it is usually just playing, eating, sleeping, people watching, reading, seeing the local tiny, tiny museum and the village church...
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 04:33 AM

>>>>>>Maybe you don't know how to just hang out and relax, but hundreds of thousands of Americans<<<<<

You probably do not have a clue how funny your statement is, but it is funny!! You were trying to be nice.

Why is that, because without meaning to, you just told the person who posted that we all are not stuffy, mean, crabby, hateful Americans and that some of us actually have fun.

::arcasm::: Tell me it ain't so

EYAI YAI YAI YAI YAI #:-S#-o