Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Is 1 child off-peak ticket the same price as the day before?
Notices

Is 1 child off-peak ticket the same price as the day before?

May 30th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Is 1 child off-peak ticket the same price as the day before?

I am planning on going to Cardiff, from Uttoxeter. Normally this would cost me £28.80 as a child off-peak ticket. I want to go tomorrow but have no way of getting the ticket unless I pay by card. If I got this ticket tomorrow at the station, would it still be the £28.80 price? Also, is there anyway of reserving a ticket online (either not actually paying for it yet, or not)?
Thanks!
May 30th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Well, you can book a ticket online, but you do have to pay for it there and then by using a card. You then pick up the ticket at the station using the card you used to pay with, and the unique reference number you get at with the booking confirmation.

Because you want a child ticket this must mean you are aged 15 or less? And you don't have a debit card?

If you want a single ticket, then advance child singles are £14.50, according to www.thetrainline.com

Tomorrow you will be charged the daily price which is £28.30 for the child price if you walk up and want to get on a train there and then.

However, I think that if you go to the station early and book a ticket for a later train (at least 2 hours in advance) then you can still get the advance rate.

Do you have a phone? Call them and ask. Here is the contact number for national rail, and they are open until 10pm...

08457 48 49 50

The phone call may just save you £14.50!

Alternatively, is there someone with you who does have a debit or credit card who could buy you the ticket this evening and you pay them the cash? Then you can just collect the ticket from the machine at Uttoxeter station in the morning (allow at least 15-20 minutes for this as there may be a queue).

Good luck and I hope you get to Cardiff OK!
May 30th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

The National Rail website says that a return (the next day) is £28.80. Will this still remain the same price tomorrow if I get and pay for the tickets then?

Search this Thread