Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is $1,060 too much for RT air arrving in... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-1-060-too-much-for-rt-air-arrving-in-100841/)

LisaKarin Jan 16th, 2001 09:12 PM

Is $1,060 too much for RT air arrving in...

Rome - June 14 <BR>and departing from Nice - July 5th? (leaving from Los Angeles) This is the cheapest airfare I could find. Air France. Everything else is $300 - $600 more. Last summer I paid $850 for a ticket to Zurich and departing from Paris. I checked over internet MSN Expedia, Cheap Tickets, and others. Is it better to deal with a live operator.

Sue Jan 17th, 2001 07:12 AM

Maybe it is not too much depending on when you are traveling. I have had good luck with a consolidator in Houston since traveling from LV is not cheap. You might e-mail him just as a double check (I have no connection with his office). [email protected]

Kay Feb 6th, 2001 06:56 AM

I had the same question--what is the best fare you can hope for at that time of year?

Carey Feb 6th, 2001 08:28 AM

I think it is too much! Are those locations for sure, or are you flexible? Flyin in and out of different locations raises the cost quite a bit. You could do two things: Fly in and out of Rome, and get a one way ticket from Nice to Rome (that should be around $89.00 USD) The other option is to take the train from Nice to Rome to catch your flight. <BR> <BR>I checked out your flight on travelocity.com and it came out to $1100.00 rt. Yikes! try: <BR> <BR>www.bestfares.com <BR>www.flights.com <BR> <BR>see what you can find. It just takes a lot of research to get those cheaps fares. Keep on trying though, I really think you can get under $1000.00 rt.!

elvira Feb 6th, 2001 09:11 AM

Welcome to capitalism - and what the market will bear. The strong American dollar has encouraged more travelers from the U.S.; therefore, higher fares. Soooo, a couple of suggestions: <BR>1) Check consolidators and charters - they often have odds and ends of tickets for less. <BR>2) Look into a hotel/airfare combo, such as through Alitalia. <BR>3) Look at departure airports other than LAX (San Diego?) and Nice (Marseille?) and arrival airports other than Rome (Milan?). You might find a good deal just by changing airports. <BR>4) If it's possible, shift departure and/or arrival dates; a few days one way or the other can make a difference. <BR>5) Contact a travel agent. They often times can massage an itinerary and squeeze out some savings.

j Feb 6th, 2001 10:19 AM

To Carey: <BR> <BR>You must be kidding!! Where did you find that $89 OW fare from Rome to Nice. There is no such thing!!I've been travelling between the two cities several times in the past couple of years and for one, travelling in and out of Rome is expensive. The cheapest fare I got for RT between the 2 cities is ~$220. One way is worst ~$300. Please check your sources first before you put hopes on [email protected]!!

coco Feb 6th, 2001 12:29 PM

Alas, airfares are astronomical this summer. Have just bought RT from NYC to Milan for $856 on Delta and that beats everything else on offer by enough that I'm calling it a bargain. This could work as a base for Nice and/or Rome and saves about $400 over Rome or Nice!!! (This is for mid-June thru early July). Also encountering more sticker shock for Lisbon early August, tho shopping til I drop down and pay whatever they are asking! Good luck.

Carey Feb 6th, 2001 12:35 PM

Ouch..............that hurt! I HAVE seen inter-european specials for $89.00 one way. and my husband flew from Rome to Brussels for that price. It's was just a suggestions, I can't do all the research for her..............just offering options, unlike you.........offering complaints. Now who's being productive???

ThadWaugh Feb 6th, 2001 01:44 PM

Just paid $432 for RT from Baltimore to Venice with only one stop in NYC. Travel dates are in March, but that's still a good fare. Best web travel sites I found besides travelocity were: expedia.com, lowestfare.com, cheaptickets.com, and onetravel.com.

coco Feb 6th, 2001 02:04 PM

If one can travel before end of March, there are some astounding deals to be had at every major carrier. There seems to be no "shoulder" season anymore...just the off-season giveaways and the high-season make-it-all-back fares! It's REALLY nasty this summer, but...you gotta go!!!

Nan Feb 9th, 2001 05:09 PM

Summer has always been more expensive. We are going to Rome in mid-March from Little Rock, AR. I have tried every service, i.e. Priceline, etc. I have found that the best air fare rates are achieved the old fashioned way. Call the airlines. In fact call the same ones over and over. You get different rates all the time. When we went to Italy last year, Al Italia had the worst fares. This year they blew every one else away. I wanted to do something differnet this time. We are flying to Rome, traveling around Italy for 2 wks, then flying back from Genoa. The fare was $540 incl everthing. We might go this summer, and expect to pay more of course. But I know by diligently calling, we will get the best fare possible. I also found that internet services only check what I would call, our domestic airlines, and not Al Italia, Air France, Etc. Sorry to go on so long. Good luck. <BR> <BR>

Monica Feb 9th, 2001 05:56 PM

Yes, summer tickets will cost a lot more. I have tickets on hold till the 23rd on Olympic for our May 1-14th trip to Greece. I have called many consolidators and airlines and the best price I could get was $813.10pp. I guess consolidators are good for the low season and/or when airlines cannot sell their tickets. There's no problem selling tickets April - October.

wendy Feb 9th, 2001 07:57 PM

Call Council Travel at 1-800-2COUNCIL. They sell tix even if you're not a student or teacher - my mom just got a ticket from there for a pretty good price, considering it was kind of last minute. They are used to open-jaws since they usually deal with students, and they can help by checking prices from different airports.

j Feb 10th, 2001 05:48 AM

To Carey: <BR>I am not complaining, just stating facts whereas you are confusing facts. Please tell WHERE you've SEEN the $89OW fare from Rome to Brussels and what time of the year?? Only when I see them will I believe you!! <BR> <BR>PS There are cheap fares originating from London to the continent and sometimes inter-france fares but not between two countries!!

jodi Feb 10th, 2001 06:12 AM

<BR>To j([email protected]) <BR>Lighten Up!

carey Feb 10th, 2001 06:17 AM

Jody: <BR> <BR>This is between j and me!!

Bob Feb 10th, 2001 10:11 AM

I just got RT from Sav to Rome in Sep via Cont. for $895 thru a consolidator.

Gerry Feb 10th, 2001 11:12 AM

To Doubting j: <BR>Check Lufthansa web site. I booked 2 round trip tickets San Francisco to Rome stop in Munich mid-March. Booked in January. No longer available? There web site offered $89 add on fare to any destination in Europe if you fly Lufthanza. Don't know what the rules are. Maybe "regular" price transatlantic ticket? I asked if I could fly back to Munich 2 days early to spend time there. Price jumped to $2100 ! Forget it! This stuff is way to complicated. No wonder people use travel agents and tours. Anbyway there is an $89 offer from Lufthanza for what its worth.

Gerry Feb 10th, 2001 11:16 AM

Forgot to mention price of my RT fare Lufthanza San Fraqncisco to Rome via Munich was for 2 tickets $1038. Great deal? But had to be booked by 01/31.

mo Feb 11th, 2001 10:57 AM

I have definitely seen ads in the sunday New York Times travel section for European travel for $99 each way. My understanding is flying between any city in Europe for that amount. I just checked the newspaper is not there this week. But I have seen it many times. A spanish friend of mine likes air europa, he thinks it's the cheapest. I am flying to Napoli fom New York City in mid march via Alitalier. Round trip costs me $360(tax incl.)I consider that a very good deal.