Notices

Irish countryside in 5/6 days

Jul 3rd, 2016, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Irish countryside in 5/6 days

Hello Ireland experts. I'm flying in (early morning Sat Sept 3) and out (afternoon Sun Sept 11) of Dublin and will be spending my last three nights in Dublin. That gives me the first five nights to drive around Ireland. I'm going to rent a car at Dublin airport and drop it off in central Dublin. I'd like to spend on a nice hotel in Dublin, but economize and stay in average/basic hotels b&bs in the rest of Ireland. I'm looking to do the Ring of Kerry and want to hit the following towns: Killarney, Dingle, Ballybunion, Galway (to see the Cliffs, etc). I'm open to doing day trips to see other sights and towns in the area, but would benefit from suggestions on how to use the five nights I have. Ideally I'd like to stay where the center of town is so I don't have to walk or drive around in the evenings for a couple of pints and food in the evenings. Also, I'm open to suggestions on what to see, where to eat, bars/pubs to go to, nightlife in the little towns I'll stay at. Ideally I would like to stay in no more than four towns across the five nights. Suggestions welcome, thanks in advance!
Jul 3rd, 2016, 06:33 PM

Hello AddyP. I am by no means an Ireland expert, but have been there before and am returning in November. I can't speak about most of the places you mentioned, but I was in Galway this time last year. I stayed at the Western Hotel, which was fine and close to everything. Galway is small, so you can walk around and drink to your hearts content. Just stay in the city and you will be fine(Salt Hill is lovely but a far walk at night to the center). Galway has a great music and bar scene. Definitely visit The Quays and The Kings Head. I also did a few day trips from Galway. You can base there and see the Cliffs of Moher, Connemara, Kylemore Abbey and the Aran Islands. All are a fairly short drive and basing in Galway, for me, was great. It's a great city, lots of fun.

I'm looking forward to reading more replies, as I am also planning on visiting Killarney and Dingle on my next visit
Jul 3rd, 2016, 11:37 PM

I assume you arrive in Dublin on a red eye flight from the US?

If so - and if you want to avoid to get behind the steering wheel of a rental car right after that red eye flight - you could start your trip in reverse order - but by bus for the first leg to Galway.
There are very frequent and direct intercity bus connections between Dublin Airport and Galway (terminus in town center).

Spend rest of arrival day exploring Galway and pick up rental car there next morning for the short drive to the Cliffs of Moher and further on to Ballybunion or Dingle.
But check if the rental car company of your choice asks for an extra one-way fee. I *think* the major ones don't charge for that, but you sure should check the fine print before you choose this option.

Or stay 2 nights in Galway and do the loop through Connemara first, as described above. Depends a bit on how you want to split your available nights between the West and Kerry.

Search this Thread