Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ireland with kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-with-kids-26108/)

kate May 21st, 1998 09:03 PM

ireland with kids

we are spending a week in ireland in july with our two girls (7 and 10), hiring a car and going south and southwest. Any ideas for good things to do with the girls, also any farmstay suggestions?
thanks
kate

Bill May 22nd, 1998 01:26 PM

Hi!
I don't have too much advice, since we are just beginning to plan for our own trip to Ireland in August. We have sons, 8 and 12, and we plan to stay in the southwest counties of Cork and Kerry. The Dingle and Beara Peninsulas, the "Ring of Kerry", the castles, the ruins, the little harbor towns... It all sounds GREAT! I haven't really looked into accommodations, but I understand that there are lots of rural B&Bs, some farms that take in guests, lots of charming places in towns. Some ideas: bicycling, hiking, beaches, horseback riding. There are even some outfits that rent horse-drawn "caravans" (gypsy wagons) that are fully equipped as campers. Tempting, but I think we'll pass. There is also an island named Skellig Michael - a 45-minute boat ride from the mainland; very stark, very steep, with the well-preserved ruins of a 1,000 year old monastary. (I predict my wife will veto it.)
Hope to hear from some folks who have been there.
-Bill

Bill May 22nd, 1998 01:28 PM

Hi!
I don't have too much advice, since we are just beginning to plan for our own trip to Ireland in August. We have sons, 8 and 12, and we plan to stay in the southwest counties of Cork and Kerry. The Dingle and Beara Peninsulas, the "Ring of Kerry", the castles, the ruins, the little harbor towns... It all sounds GREAT! I haven't really looked into accommodations, but I understand that there are lots of rural B&Bs, some farms that take in guests, lots of charming places in towns. Some ideas: bicycling, hiking, beaches, horseback riding. There are even some outfits that rent horse-drawn "caravans" (gypsy wagons) that are fully equipped as campers. Tempting, but I think we'll pass. There is also an island named Skellig Michael - a 45-minute boat ride from the mainland; very stark, very steep, with the well-preserved ruins of a 1,000 year old monastary. (I predict my wife will veto it.)
Hope to hear from some folks who have been there.
-Bill

Bill May 23rd, 1998 05:17 AM

Sorry about the duplicate post. It looked like it didn't go through the first time.
Anyway, try this site. A VERY comprehensive listing of accommodations, including 100 farmhouses and 500 B&Bs in Kerry alone. Pictures and desrciptions of each property. http://www.goireland.ie/Main/displayarea.htm?C179 If it doesn't work, try shaving off some of the info at the end of the address.

kate May 23rd, 1998 03:13 PM

thanks so much Bill - we are going on to the US after our trip so if I can email any hints I will but we maynot have email contact until we reach Oregon in mid August Anyway hope we all have great trips
kate

Peggy May 25th, 1998 05:40 AM

Ireland with kids would be alot of fun. We went (all adults) last Sept for the first time and are planning a return visit for August. One thing we plan on doing is taking a "jaunting cart" (pony cart) ride thru the Gap of Dunloe. The Gap is in the Ring of Kerry and the rides start near a little restaruant (Katie's Cottage ?) and go thru a valley. We arrived too late last Sept for the ride but it looks fun. Also, if you have golfers in the family there are alot of "pitch and putt's" around. They are a 9 hole course a more than miniture golf, but less than a par three. That might work for thd older kids. A ferry ride to the Aran Islands would be fun, once there you can have a van driver guide you around the main island or take a pney cart tour. They wil drop you off at an anciet fort that is a short stroll and will return a couple of hours later. Apparently there are alot of festivals in August so you may run across one. The castles, forts, and monestaries are fun. You can acutally touch and explore most of the sites. Give the kids their own cameras and see what you get! Have a great trip......

kate May 25th, 1998 11:46 PM

peggy thanks so much for the info - hope bill read it too! and that you have a great trip. And Bill, I tried that B & B site you suggested with no luck. Can you be at all more specific with the changes at the end!? I'll keep trying different combinations. Thanks anyway
kate

Bill May 26th, 1998 07:48 AM

Kate-
I'm not sure why you didn't get the site based on that address. I got it on my office comuter with a "copy and paste". But here's the home page address for the site http://www.goireland.ie/AllIreland.htm (my suggestion about shaving off chunks of text at the end sometimes works to get you to the home page; in this case, not) Having gone to the library and cleaned them out of guidebooks, I'm getting a clearer picture of what I'd like to do. Here's the current thought: 1) Arrive at Shannon Airport in the morning and pick up rental car. 2)Drive north to Cliffs of Mohir and The Burren; B&B in the area. 3)Drive to Co. Kerry; farmhouse B&B for two nights in the Dingle/Ventry area on the Dingle Peninsula; hiking, biking, maybe horses. 4) Drive to the Ring of Kerry area; another farmhouse B&B for two nights; boat trip to Skellig Michael (my wife turns out to be as enthusiastic about it as I am!). 5) Drive around the Bantry Bay area (Co. Cork); B&B in a place as yet undecided. 6) Head back north at a leisurely pace; B&B in a place as yet undecided. 6) Back to Shannon. We intend to eat a lot of "pub grub", drink a lot of Guinness, listen to a lot of Irish music, climb over a lot of ruins, ignore the rain (full rain gear seems to be a "must"), stay away from crowds and touristy sites (I keep reading these scathing things about Killarney!), and - especially - talk to a lot of local folks. Wish us luck!

david Jun 6th, 1998 05:53 AM

Kate, your upcoming trip sounds swell. I've never been to Ireland with young ones, but my wife and I will be traveling there for the 6th time this summer. In the southwest, spend time in the Dingle area. The girls would love taking a boat ride out to see Fungi, the area's most famous resident. Fungi is a dolphin. He's playful and lovable and a must-see. Heck, you can even rent wet-suits and swim with Fungi. While in Dingle, take a lovely trip out along Slea Head - it's glorious. Visit the Enchanted Forest Museum and Bearfoot Cafe (the girls would enjoy this), then take a boat ride out to the Blasket Islands and take in the magical atmosphere. With good weather, this trip is a must! Fots wildlife Park makes for a nice afternoon. It's located just outside Cork City. Speaking of Cork, the West Cork countryside is unspoiled and beautiful, and it';s a grand place to take the girls on a horse-trek. Well, those are several travel ideas to ponder. Best of luck and have a super holiday.