Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   "Ireland"When is the Best Time To Go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-when-is-the-best-time-to-go-20529/)

Sue Jan 15th, 1998 06:17 PM

"Ireland"When is the Best Time To Go?

we are planning a trip to southern Ireland for our anniversary in early Oct. What's the weather like at that time of year. Any suggestions about(top of the line) tour groups? How to pack for a 14 day visit? Getting thru Customs?

Donna Jan 17th, 1998 11:21 PM

October is a perfectly good time weatherwise to go. Weather will be mild, but expect rain (as always). A hooded raincoat would be enormously useful. Attire in Ireland is generally quite casual. For 14 days, you will want to pack lots of light layers. Pick a two or three color "scheme" (black, ivory, and any other color usually works best) and attempt that everything match everything else. Comfortable shoes you can walk miles and miles in are essential. Top of the line tour is Collette. No matter which you select, the value for the dollar is excellent, and you get what you pay for. Any tour guide or website describes everything you need to know about customs.

joan doyle Jan 18th, 1998 01:06 PM

What are you planning to bring through Irish customs anyway? I've always found them casual to the point of not even being noticable--in short, very friendly. Otherwise I second Donna--especially in her clothes recommendations. I've never used Collette's tours--used CIE for my first trip and it was fine. After the first time my sister and I flew into Cork, rented a car there, and took off for Kerry (where we recommend Kenmare over Killarney. You should have a marvellous time, though--the Irish people are so kind and friendly. Good trip! Joan

Karen Bergeson Jan 19th, 1998 09:22 AM

Sue: 14 days will be long enough to see more than just the south in the Republic. Get a good guidebook (I like Frommer's) and a car and you can easily plan your own 'tour'. Waterproof shoes are also important if you want to go beyond just pavement. I brought old clothes to leave there so that I could do some shopping.

Sue Jan 25th, 1998 06:14 PM

DONNA,"Thanks a bunch" for the clothing tips!
JOAN,I'm bring a Sony digital camera, that uses floppy disks. Plus,I'm hoping to purchase several items to bring home, as long as customs is easy to clear and doesn't take to long, otherwise I'll ship them back to Tennessee.JOAN,you said you went on the CIE tour, did you stay in any of the castles.We have the Ashford 1 night & Dromoland 2 nights, is it worth it?
KAREN, Thanks for the great tips. Since we have never been to Europe, a tour seems the best route to go the first time. Just hope it's worth the money!!

Charlie Jan 25th, 1998 06:49 PM

Sue I'm sure you will like a tour for your first trip. I to went on a tour the first time and it was ok, however there were so many wonderful sights that I would have liked to spend more time seeing but "the bus calls". I've returned twice since and the self drive route is the only way to go. The self drive tours are flexible allowing you to stay in your choice of B&B's, hotels or castles. If you're not locked in you may want to consider driving. Whatever your choice I know you'll love it, ENJOY.