Reload this Page >

Ireland vs. UK vs. Prague vs. Spain in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Vita

I've been thinking about where to go for 2 weeks at the end of May. My sister might be coming with me and is interested in going to Ireland, so I've been planning on Ireland for the past few weeks. For some reason, I'm just can't get into the idea of going. I've been evaluating thinking about some other options and thought I'd ask for your input keeping in mind the time of year and that I'll only be using public transportation. <BR><BR>I'm interested in beautiful architecture, history, art, music, and lots of strolling. I want a couple of days in the countryside to do some hiking, but it won't be the majority of the trip.<BR><BR>Here's what I've been playing around with:<BR><BR>1) Ireland - Dublin, Belfast, Galway<BR>2) UK - London, Stonehenge, Edinburgh, maybe the highlands?<BR>3) Prague, Vienna, Budapest<BR>4) Spain - Madrid and Andalucia<BR><BR>Any insights would be appreciated.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:45 AM
xxx

Ireland gets old quick, especially if you try and get by with public transportation. I'd think option 2 or 3 would best suit your requirements.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Mariarosa

Hi Vita! Those are some great options.<BR><BR>We were able to do 2 weeks in Spain with mostly public transportation (we only rented a car for 2 days). <BR><BR>May would be a lovely time to visit Spain - warm but not too hot. You could easily visit in two weeks Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, Sevilla, Arcos de la Frontera, Ronda, and Granada - all great towns. Some of the routes are best serviced by buses. Our Lonely Planet and Let's Go Spain guides had the frequency of buses and trains and they were pretty reliable.<BR><BR>I also visited Prague and Vienna in March/April (freezing) and Budapest in May (lovely 50's and 60's). Weather will be nice at the end of May. There's lots of architecture, history, art and especially music in Prague, Vienna, and Budapest, and it's easy to do this route by train.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Vita

Thanks, x and Mariarosa. Any other words of wisdom?

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Karey

I am in a very similar dilemma...except in early May.<BR><BR>Spain and Ireland are the top two countries I have always wanted to visit and I only have ten days in early May. Spain, especially Andalucia, is very appealing because a lot of fiestas will be happening and the weather could be ideal, not too hot yet. I have heard great things about Seville and Cadiz and the lifestyle sounds like what I need in my life right now. Spain has been on my list for years. I also love Spanish guitar, both classical and flamenco. The only drawback would be the language issue and meeting people as I will be going solo.<BR><BR>Ireland, on the other hand, appeals with the scenery, the ancient monuments and the ability to communicate and have some good craic in the pubs. I also love Celtic music, I play a bit myself. And there's the legendary friendliness that I'd love to experience in real life.<BR><BR>Either will be a good choice I'm sure.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Vita

Thought I'd top once more for the morning crowd. Cheers.