Ireland Vacation with children

May 12th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Ireland Vacation with children

I am planning a vacation to Ireland April 2011, We are traveling with a teenager and 2 younger children 7 and 5. We are planning on renting a car and staying at a self catering cottage in Galway. We are looking for advice on the best sites to see in Ireland with family in tow. We are interested in seeing castles, hiking, shopping, and we are also looking for places that will be centered on Irish culture. We are not in a rush to bounce from place to place and we will be staying for 11 days. if any one has any advice or comments on the time of year we are going or any experiance with self catering homes please help ,all comments are welcome. Thank you
May 12th, 2010, 07:02 AM

North of Galway in County Sligo, I believe, is Carrowmore, one of the most extensive neolithic sites in Ireland - lots of stone circles, burial cairns, and such. Might be an interesting day trip.

A trip to the Aran Islands would be interesting for all. Pony carts, forts on 300 foot cliffs, shopping, and lots of stone fences everywhere.

The Burren has lots of diversions as well - Ailwee Caves, where bears once lived, more neolithic sites (Poulnabrone Dolmen), ring forts (Cahirconnel), wonderful bizarre landscapes, the Cliffs of Moher, Lisdoonvarna with it's smokehouse, the Burren Perfumery, and Doolin for music and pubs.
May 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM

Goodness you're getting started early. We're going in July for a month with grandchildren aged 17, 16, 16, 11, 9, 9, 6 and 3. Yes we are quite clearly insane, although we are taking the parents as well. We'll be self-catering in Kenmare, Dublin and Portumna. Have high hopes but can't give real advise yet. I'll post a trip report when I get back so keep an eye out.
May 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Consider taking the kids on a Hawk Walk at Ireland's School of Falconry on the grounds of Ashford Castle. You will not regret it. http://www.falconry.ie/

Search this Thread