Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-trip-report-619096/)

loves_labs May 28th, 2006 12:04 PM

Ireland trip report

My wife and I are just back from a 10 day trip to southwest and western Ireland. We saw a variety of weather: rain, heavy rain, torrential rain, sideways rain, hail, snow on the mountains, and gale force winds. One radio station said it was the worst May weather on record. More than once we heard weather reports calling for "sunshine today with heavy downpours"!!?? Temperatures were much colder than normal, with one day not getting out of the 40s(f). Luckily, we came prepared, and had a simply wonderful trip despite the weather.
We flew into Shannon, stayed 3 nights in Kenmare, 2 nights in Dingle, 1 night in Doolin and 3 nights in Clifden.
Bed and Breakfasts: The first thing I want to say is we canceled a stop at Innisfree B&B in Bunratty at the end of the trip. They were nice enough to notify me today that they filled the vacancy (I gave 48 hours notice) and thus there would be no penalty charge for me. I thought this was very classy of them, since they easily could have taken advantage of me.
We stayed at
The Lodge Kenmare. Very nice. A great way to start our trip.
Emlagh Lodge Dingle. Super, and what views.
Seaview House Doolin. Lovely, the hostess
was very helpful.
Buttermilk Lodge Clifden. My wife's
personel favorite.
We were very pleased with all of these b&bs, they were all exceptionally clean, and had delicious breakfasts.
The absolute highlight of our trip was a boat trip to the Skelligs, with a hike to the top, and a slow passby of little Skellig. We left Port Mcgee in foul weather and heavy seas. Miraculously, the weather broke just when our boat arrived at the skelligs. Thank goodness for Dramamine. Anyway, spectacular scenery, dizzing heights, seals, and most importantly PUFFIINS. Little Skellig was covered white with birds, manly gulls.
Other highlights of our trip were Mitzen Head Lighthouse (the cliffs there reminded me of some of the mountains in Zion Ntl Park). The Cliffs of Mohr and the cliffs south of Killkee at Loop Head Lighthouse were awesome. We did a boat crusie under the cliffs of Mohr, but actually felt the views were more enjoyable from the top. Puffins were visible here with binoculars. Loved the town of Dingle and its musicians, Connors pass, and the town of Clifden. Drove to Westport which was a wonderful town.
We did many scenic drives racking up over 2000 kms. in our little Toyota Varus.
Biggest surprises of the trip: The little village of Cong was truly fun, and a beautiful drive out there. Likewise the drives from Clifden to Westport was lovely. We were always amazed at the gorgeous, unspoiled wide open spaces we found everwhere we went. Ireland seems like a much larger country than it's actual size would indicate.
Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped with our itinary. We can't wait to go back.

chatham May 28th, 2006 12:24 PM

Loves-labs, I loved your report. I've tried to see Puffins while in Ireland and haven't. I'm now in northwest Wa., I'm hoping I'll find those birds here. Joan

IrishEyes May 28th, 2006 02:03 PM

Thanks for all the info. I loved your weather report. I have been there and done that in respect to the weather too. It is nice to hear that despite it all you still enjoyed Ireland anyway.

Tell me, in Cong is Cohan's still roofless or have they progressed in the remodeling of it?

I love The Lodge in Kenmare too. Very nice place. Skellig Michael sounds awesome.

rosetravels May 28th, 2006 08:52 PM

So nice to hear your report. We went to Skellig Michael two years ago and it was a highlight. We saw a PUFFIN dive into it's burrow in the ground and saw thousands of gannetts on little Skellig.

I'm glad you had a good trip despite the sunny rain!

Joan - I'm in NW Washington too (brr.. it's cold this weekend) and I've never seen a puffin. I see bald eagles all the time but never a puffin. My husband's seen puffins on the coast here. But the best place to see them is Ireland, which might mean you need to go back soon!

chatham May 28th, 2006 09:30 PM

rosetravels, I'd love to go looking for Puffins in Ireland, but I can't do much traveling at the moment. I've been 8 times and couldn't find them. Yes, it is a little cool this weekend, but I find it lovely. I moved from southeat GA. and it was so hot and humid this time of year. My freinds envy me. Joan

chatham May 28th, 2006 09:32 PM

Sorry, southeast, not southeat. Humm, I think I do want to eat. Joan