Ireland trip - one final call for help before making reservations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all your insight and feedback. This has been a great process. Here is the latest and greatest - I plan on calling goireland tomororw to make reservations:

Pls. provide feedback...

Day One - Arrive in Shannon and drive to Dingle Bay - I prefer to stay at The Shores but my brothers prefer to stay in town. Any suggestions on a great B&B in town ?

Day two - drive to Killarney - again - my brothers prefer the "lively" town to Kenmare. I am looking at eithr the Carrigleas House or Fairview Inn - which is right in town.

Day Three - explore Killarney and surrounding area - stay overnight in Killarney.

Day Four - Drive to Kinsale for two nights. We have reservations at Rocklands House - any feedback on this B&B? Is there another one that comes highly recommended ?

Day Five - explore Kinsale - overnight in Kinsale

Day Six - Drive to Cahir or Cashel. Looking at staying at Darrynaflan. Has anyone stayed there ? Any feedback or suggestions.

Day Seven - explore the Cashel area - stay overnight.

Day Eight - Drive to Shannon and stay overnight. Any suggestions on a nice place to stay on our last night ?

Fly home to Rhode Island !

Thanks for all your help.

Carolyn

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Carolyn, If I were making reservations at B&Bs I would deal directly with them instead of goireland.com. I would not recommend goireland at all. If the rates are lower on that site, mention it directly to the B&Bs and ask for the same rate.

Fairview is right in Killarney and is very nice. If you book on their site you will get a 20% discount.

In Cashel I much prefer Rockside, Aulber House or Dualla House.

In the Shannon area I really like Bunratty Lodge.

Book directly via email with the B&Bs and save yourself headaches that might be associated with goireland.

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Carolyn: I haven't been to Ireland yet (going in late Summer), but after extensive research decided on Emlagh House in Dingle. (Note, there's also an Emlagh Lodge - don't get them confused.) It is close enough in to town that I can get there from the bus station without a car.

As for Kinsale, I am staying at The Chart House. Since I'm traveling alone I'm getting the cheaper single room; otherwise I believe it's a little more expensive.

From what I read, I had hoped to stay at the Rockside when I am in Cashel; however, they're already full for the night I wanted. I'll check in later to see if there's a cancellation, but for now I'm at Legends Guesthouse.

Come back and give a trip report! I can't wait to hear it!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:13 AM

We took a similar route last September but started in Galway and Connemara before heading for Dingle.

We wanted to stay at the Captains House (or Quarters?) in Dingle but they were full. Great intown location! We ended up at the Light House - loved it but a walk to town so may not meet your needs. Stayed in Kemare instead of Killarney. See the Beara Pennisula if you can fit it in. We enjoyed it more than the ROK. Then on to Kinsale where we stayed two nights then headed for Cashel. Visited the castle in Cahir and the Rock on the same day. Stayed at Rockville House - convenient (in the shadow of the Rock and an easy walk everywhere)and inexpensive (26E pp) but be advised the place smells like smoke and is a bit seedy. Had a great dinner at Chez Hans in Cashel that night. We spent our last night at the Bunratty Castle Hotel. Pricey but after 13 days we were thrilled with the huge bed to stretch out in and more importantly plenty of room to repack all our bags for the trip home the next day.
Enjoy Ireland - it's just stunning. Here's a link to a few of my pictures from last year. Pam
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/82150/index.html
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:18 AM

When you visit Cahir Castle be sure to see the Swiss Cottage which is about one mile away in the woods--a nice walk from the castle. IMO one night is enough in Kinsale. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 03:09 AM

We stayed at Derrynaflan for two nights last summer. The owners (Sheila and Ed) are very friendly and they gave us a choice of rooms (the bathroom was really tiny.) The massive antique furniture is beautiful, especially in the dining room. We enjoyed the hearty breakfast and meeting the other guests. They also took my husband and daughter to see their new Highland pups litter. The only thing we didn't like was that we had a hard time finding the B&B in the first place (although there are signs) and it was difficult to find it in the dark when we returned late at night the first day. If this worries you, Dualla House is much closer to town (we passed it several times going into town but otherwise know nothing about it.) We ate dinner twice at Davern's restaurant in the middle of town (one of Sheila's recommendations.) The restaurant looks non-descript from the outside, but the food was among the best we had in Ireland (we loved the steak and salmon.)
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 03:57 AM

I am living in Cork City, and I want to wish you a nice trip when you come to Ireland.

May I respectfully suggest that when your so near Cork, that you go and visit the town of Cobh. Its only 12 miles or so outside Cork, just down the harbour.
It has a divine Cathedral,nice sea front buildings, and a fantastic visitor centre about emigration and the Titanic(as Cobh then called Queenstown was the last port of call for the liner)

It is my humble opinion that Cobh beats kinsale hands down! one night would suffice for Kinsale.

Have a nice time in Ireland.

Regards,

P.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 01:41 PM

Oh good heavens. Above, I posted

"I haven't been to Ireland yet (going in late Summer), but after extensive research decided on Emlagh House in Dingle. (Note, there's also an Emlagh Lodge - don't get them confused.)"

Well, guess what? I got them confused. I will be at Emlagh Lodge. I hope I stay clear enough on this so that I don't show up at the wrong place! However, Emlagh House looks lovely, too, though out of my price range.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 01:48 PM
Jen

I would second the recommendation to stop in Cobh-- it is truly lovely, and the museum is very interesting as stated above.

Don't know when you are going, but we traipsed through this area in early September, had no reservations, and had no trouble whatsoever getting a room in a nice B&B on the fly-- might allow you some more flexibility...
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:47 AM

I am leaving for Ireland Thursday w/ my husband and 4 children--can't wait! We planned to see the museum in Cobh (Queenstown) on Monday day after Easter). Does anyone (maybe living in Ireland) know if it is open on that day? Thanks for all thte great advice--I've been avidly reading for months!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM

We stayed at Bunratty Lodge our last night in Ireland a couple of years ago. We found it very comfortable and close to Shannon. Our hostess Mary Browne was very nice, good breakfast too!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 03:01 PM

Hey, I really like your itin. It's smart, compact and managable. You gonna have a great time.
Thought I would stay in Kenmare rather then Killarney, but i guess you where overruled.
Cashel and Cahir are both great and a little more off the beaten track.
I know a lot of people like kinsale, but it is not my favorite. It is a cute city but doesn't seem as Irish to me.
When are you going?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:04 PM

There are loads of great B&Bs in Dingle. For more details please go to the website below
http://www.dingle-region.com/bed.htm