Search

Ireland Trip in May -- Football Issues?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2016, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Trip in May -- Football Issues?

Hello all...

We are planning a trip to Ireland in May -- flying in and out of Dublin from the US with five nights in Dublin and five on the road.

We would like to avoid being in Dublin during a major sports event...crowds, noise, hotels filled, etc.

Are there any dates Fodorites would suggest we avoid in the city? Knowing this would help us plan our air ticket dates.

Thanks.

ssander
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 03:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are two Rugby Union weekends in May, the 6th and the 27th. but I'm not sure how busy or otherwise it will make the city's hotels etc. Football isn't an issue in Dublin.

The first Rugby weekend is at the smaller of the two venues with a capacity of c25000, but it's unlikely that the crowd will be that big. The second is at the larger venue for the final with a capacity of roughly twice that, so I might avoid that weekend.
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much...

...any weather preferences of insights?

ssander
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 01:26 AM

As with most places, in Northern Europe, the weather is totally unpredictable. Ireland gets the weather straight off the the Atlantic so it could be any of the weather events other than snow, hail.

Just one thought...5 nights in Dublin does seem a little much for the city alone. You might want to reduce that and add a night or two to your road trip.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 01:44 AM

"Football isn't an issue in Dublin."

Hum, it depends on what kind of football.

Soccer, I agree, except when there is an international game

But, when it comes to gaelic football, people get mad when the Dubs are playing in Croke Park
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 03:08 AM

Should have been more specific rouelan, I meant "soccer". Gaelic football is still playing league games in May which doesn't attract big crowds.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 03:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
"Gaelic football is still playing league games in May which doesn't attract big crowds."

What??? I was there for the rematch against Mayo, not a seat empty. They love the Dubs. We got to see the big celebration from our balcony in Smithfield. Huge crowd and great party for these guys. If there is a game try for tickets.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 07:57 AM

Macross, that replay was in October and that would have been the championship and the final at that so huge interest..You did exceptionally well to get a ticket for that match! There's not much to beat the atmosphere of those games and an amateur sport too!! You were lucky to be able to soak up the buzz afterwards. Spare a thought for a long suffering Mayo fan though!
Rubicund is right about May though-the championship is just kicking off and attendances are small. There will be no problem with busy hotels etc. for Gaelic football games in May! Enjoy SSander!!