Notices

Ireland trip in May

Jan 6th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Ireland trip in May

My husband and I are taking a trip to Ireland in late May and it's our first time traveling internationally. We are flying into Dublin and renting a car. Probably staying 8 days! budget will be around 1300 Euros for the trip (excluding car, plane, and hotels because those will be prepaid). We aren't sure where we are staying yet, but probably a mix of hotels and B&B's. I would love some feedback on our (tentative) itinerary. Is it doable? We don't want to be too rushed! This is a rough estimate of what I was thinking:

Day 1 & 2 - Explore Dublin and Glendalough. We aren't huge drinkers, but I'd like to visit some pubs and explore Dublin a bit. I love history and really want to see the monastic ruins and the round tower in Glendalough.

Day 3 and 4 - Drive to Cork, see the Rock of Cashel along the way. Explore Cork and visit the Blarney castle.

Day 5 - Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula

Day 6 - Cliffs of Moher and if we have time, the Aran Islands.

Day 7 - Drive back to Dublin and prepare to go home.

Does this sound doable? We are thinking Dublin, Cork, and either Kerry or somewhere closer to the Cliffs as our "base camps" (where we will be spending the night basically). I would love to visit Galway and Connemara but I just don't think we'll have the time. We would also like to stay in a castle for at least one night. Can anyone recommend one that is in either of these areas?

I am still researching hotel options, but I'm thinking a hotel in Dublin, a castle one night, and the rest of the nights in a B&B. Any hotel or B&B rec's welcome! Please tell me if I'm being overly ambitious in our plans!
Jan 6th, 2015, 12:42 PM

Reverse the plan. land DUB and drive 2 1/2 hrs to Galway. If you are up to staying awake take the afternoon tour of the Cliffs and Burren
Day 2 either the Aran Isles day or the Connemara Loop.
Day 3 Galway to the compulsory night in Dingle.
Day 4 From Dingle round the Ring of Kerry and overnight Kenmare
Day 5 To Cork via Blarney
Day 6 Back to Dublin via Cashel and Glendalough
Day 7 hopper bus tour of Dublin

If the above does't look doable then something has to go.
May 19th, 2015, 05:59 AM

Our trip was great. Everyone recommended more time and you were right. Wish we could have stayed.
We landed Shannon and had driver ( who was with us the whole trip) take us to Dublin/Kildare through beautiful countryside (not highway)- took approx 4 hours with one stop.
We were tired so that was enough
Men golfed Carton house where we stayed and the Linden Tree dinner at Carton House was great.
Ladies saw Maynooth and Castletown House tour
Picked up men and drove to Dublin city and Phoenix Park then Guinness storehouse tour ( Guinness self tour , didn't think worth it) and ate at Brazen Head Inn for lunch
Ate dinner at Pigs Ear
Then drinks in Whiskey Palace temple bar for live music
Stayed at Mont Clare hotel.
We left for Killarney via a stop at the Rock of Cashel,
then Limerick, then Adare for lunch at Aunty Lena's and live music.
Ladies shopped and men golfed at Dooks which they highly recommend.
We all took a ride ( private driver still and highly recommend this way of travel )
thru beginning of ring of Kerry saw ladies lakes and Kenmare
Ate at Randles Court where we stayed the 2 nights and ate at Treyvands in Killarney.
Next he drove us on into Ennis via Adare again then north
Men golfed at Lahinch - challenging 40mph winds.
Ladies did Spanish Point and the stunning Kilkee Cliffs on Wild Atlantic Way ,
and coffee and scones at Trumps Golf resort.
Picked up men and saw the Cliffs of Moher and The Burren and back to Ennis
Had dinner one night at Temple in Temple Gate
The last nights Dinner at Knox's with live music too.
We flew back to NY via Shannon which was nice and had US customs Theresa it's quick and easy airport

Search this Thread