Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland Trip..Help Please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-trip-help-please-558129/)

flagrl2001 Sep 13th, 2005 05:47 AM

Ireland Trip..Help Please!

Hi, Myself and 5 other girls will be in Kilareny (Old Village)for 7 days starting Nov 12th. Two of us will go on to Dublin for 3 days after the others go home. We have a place to stay but can anyone tell us anything that will help us to experience as much of Ireland as possible. There seems to great info here...please help. Thanks

suelh Sep 13th, 2005 03:15 PM

Hello--

Why not read some travel books on Ireland (e.g., Fodor's, Frommer's, Rick Steves) for an overview of the areas you'll be visiting? There will also be a great deal of detailed information that can help you and provide you a "foundation" for the trip. And, of course, the responses on this board should help too.

Don't know about Kilareny, but in Dublin, a good way to begin a first-time visit is to take the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus which takes you all around the city, and a tour guide on board will identify the various places and provide lots of local color. Also, you can get off and tour any of the areas, museums, etc.,which interest you, and then later rejoin the bus ride. The tickets are good for 24 hours, too.

I think others will post ideas for you, as well -- have a wonderful trip!

Sue

In

lucielou Sep 14th, 2005 07:04 AM

http://www.killarneyonline.ie/tis/Wh...and/ti83.shtml
As soon as you get to killarney, check out the above.

wojazz3 Sep 14th, 2005 10:08 AM

Hi flagrl:

You will find that you won't be bored in the Killarney area. First thing to note is that the days will be very short in November and the weather likely wet and windy. Some of the sites will not be open, but the scenery always is. On the plus side, you will see very little tourism at that time.

The National Park is beautiful and there are three nice golf courses. You cna do the Ring of Kerry and take your time by taking roads off the beaten path there. That will make it much more interesting. Kenmare is a neat little town and worth a visit. I usually stay near there when I am in that area.

You cna make day trips to Dingle (a must) and do the loop that takes you out to Slea Head. This is one of the most spectacular drives you can find. Perhaps take a ride over Conor Pass.

The Beara Peninsula south of Killarney is beautiful with very little tourism and is a beautiful drive. Further afield are the Sheepshead and Mizen Peninsulas, two of my favorite places. Very quiet and peaceful. Stop in at O'Sullivan's in Crookhaven for a pint.

Gougane Barra is a beautiful area just to the SE of Killarney. The road between Kenmare and Glagarriff is a great drive over Caha Pass and driving Healy Pass on Beara is exhillerating.

Like I said, there's plenty to do and I'm just getting started. Hope this helps.

Bill

flagrl2001 Sep 15th, 2005 11:42 AM

Thanks so much all the advice! I'm extremly excited about the trip. What would I consider to be the average miles per hour for driving? I hear the travel time is much longer due to road conditions and of course driving on the oppisite side may take some getting used to. I will need to decide of how many road trips we can make. Do you think driving into Mayo is to far for a day trip? Also some of the girls that are going home after the first week may want to do a day trip to Dublin before they leave...is that possible from Kerry Co?

wojazz3 Sep 15th, 2005 12:35 PM

Hi flagrl:

Don't blame you for being excited. Ireland is a blast.

For drive times I usually take the miles and divide by 35MPH. That seems to give me a general guess and covers traffic in towns, sheep in the roads and other such.

Mayo is much too far for a day trip as is Dublin. Dublin is probably 6 hours by car each way. Mayo would be longer.

waffle18 Sep 15th, 2005 01:13 PM

Hey Bill!

Did you put out a report of your latest Ireland trip and I missed it? Or are you working on a web page as I type this? Either way, can't wait to read all about it and maybe see a few photos.

Take care,

Wendy

flagrl2001 Sep 16th, 2005 08:45 AM

Thanks Bill! Its sounds like you the expert. Any day trips you could suggest would be wonderful. Wow the girls will disappointed not to see dublin...maybe their next trip. I will be in Dublin though for three days we are staying at the Mariott seaside (free). God bless earned those points. When we drive to Dublin on Sat the 19th from Killarney should we go south coast and up or through Galway and over across the country?