Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland Trip Handicapped Accessible areas.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Ireland next year and need information on a van rental with wheelchair lifts. What areas have the best wheelchair accessible areas? Has anyone else taken a trip there who travled with someone in a wheelchair? Any tips on self tours or best areas to go to?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:20 AM

In a phrase: Ireland is not handicapped-friendly!

Wheelchair accessible rest rooms are few and far between. Hotels for the most part don't have wheelchair ramps. Many have elevators. We have never stayed at a B&B with an elevator. We have had more luck staying at B&B's and asking for ground floor rooms (ensuite) in advance (i.e., when making reservations from the US). No surprises!

Sorry, I didn't mean to discourage you but to prepare you for grim reality.

We are not wheelchair-bound. We just use crutches & such; but in both Galway City and in Ballina (Co. Mayo), when we sought handicapped-accessible restrooms (in hotel public areas) we were given directions involving several stairways. But they always give directions with a smile.

Or maybe that was a smirk. The Irish don't seem to understand 'handicapped accessible.'

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:41 AM

Its not graeat but the cities are better. I would check in advance of each area you are visiting and tell them your requirements so you have the information in adcvance. Some B&B's may have ground floor rooms but you will preobably be better off in hotels with a lift.

I am hoping they start to impose strict legislation that will force all paces to be accessible. Most govt buildings and museums are wheelchair accessible. Older hoistoric buildings are tougher as they cannot demolish the front steps on a historic building buit they can make adaptations.

There must be places on the web about handicap access in ireland there must be an organisatiuon over here that will be able to give you info on van rental.

Remember also as we are a small nation of 4.5 million we have a small population of people wit access problems so it has not been adressed as well as in the U.S. If you have any queries on Dublin just ask me I live here.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:43 AM

Siobhan - (sorry to post on an unrelated thread) - did you see Angela's post about dining in Dublin? You might be able to help. Click on my name and you'll find it (the title is about Shanahans).
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Now does anyone know of rentals for vans with lifts? Are the public buses fitted with lifts for wheelchairs?
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 01:02 AM

The buses in Dublin loer down on ,most and they flip a piece ovcer to allow wheelchairs. Not all are like this but a great many these days. Check out all the car rental agents on the web and e-mail them. This is not something most people would know off their head. Try cpntacting enable ireland at this address http://www.enableireland.ie/contacts/index.html Give them a ring and I am sure they can point you in the right direction.