Ireland to Wales

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 10:25 AM
Virginia

Ireland to Wales

We will be flying into Shannon in September and staying in the Galway area. We plan on going on to Wales after a week in Ireland. Any experience on going over by Ferry? How long of a drive from Galway to the area in Dublin to get the ferry. Has anyone had expreience on the faster ferry (90 min.) Looking to rent a car when we get to Wales, any suggestions?

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 11:50 AM
Cathy

Virginia,
The drive ffrom Galway to Dublin and the port in Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Dun Lee-re-y) is approx 2 3 hours, depending on traffice etc. At peak rush hour etc allow an extra 1 1/2 hr as the port is the otherside of the entry from Galway. Would suggest you break your journey and spend a night in the Midlands. I can suggest some good places to sty and sightsee if you are interested. Regards

Cathy

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 01:50 PM
Prue

We travelled from Wales to Ireland by the fast ferry (and return) in October last year. It was very efficient and easy and even though I suffer from sea sickness normally - had no trouble. I would take the advice re traffic as there were queues at both ports.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 02:04 PM
Cathy

Virgina,
My post should read it is approx 2 to 3 hrs not 23 hrs, the gremlins are at work again.

Cathy

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 05:07 PM
kam

Virginia, I certainly would agree to break the drive from Galway to the ferry. I think I would stay in Dublin though, see if I could return the car there and take another means of transportation to the ferry. My experience with Dublin is that the traffic becomes a bit of an issue. If this is the ferry to Anglesey Island, you will be in the most beautiful part of Wales. Just spent a week there last year and it's a lovely country with nice people and great breakfasts! Think we rented from Europcar, but try to arrange that before you go. Enjoy.