Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland stops at Waterford and Beleek (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-stops-at-waterford-and-beleek-357598/)

arbutusbeach May 9th, 2008 10:37 AM

Ireland stops at Waterford and Beleek

These are stops on our Globus trip scheduled to leave May 26...any info I should know before we go?

Padraig May 9th, 2008 10:57 AM

What sort of info? Waterford Crystal makes expensive cut glass; Belleek Pottery makes expensive parian china. The factory tours are moderately interesting.

Don't expect bargains at the factory outlets.

janisj May 9th, 2008 11:15 AM

When you are on a coach tour you will see what you see. You will have a factory tour and then be let loose in the shop. As Padraig asks, what sort of info??

scatcat May 9th, 2008 11:26 AM

Most all of Waterford crystal is heavy- just to let you know in case you'll be carrying it around for while.

carolyn May 9th, 2008 01:26 PM

They will ship it home for you, though, and you won't be charged VAT.

I liked the Belleek factory better than the Waterford. Some of the Waterford display items cost so much it is incredible.

arbutusbeach May 9th, 2008 03:19 PM

I want to know if there are items that would be much less expensive than here in the states...any bargains to be had? Otherwise it isn't worth it other than to see where and how it's made...thanks.

Padraig May 9th, 2008 03:25 PM

As I said: don't expect bargains at the factory outlets.

You can sometimes find bargains in other retail outlets. If you like cut class, some of the other manufacturers (Galway Crystal and Cavan Crystal, for examples) also produce good product but at more affordable prices.

There is no substitute for Belleek.

janisj May 9th, 2008 04:31 PM

&quot;<i>I want to know if there are items that would be much less expensive than here in the states...any bargains to be had?</i>&quot;

No - in fact Waterford is usually about the same or a bit less expensive in the States - and w/ the bad $/&euro; exchange even more so now.

Even taking off the VAT and having them ship it for you (which is a good thing to do w/ any bulky or fragile purchases) it will cost more since shipping/insurance will be a little more than the VAT reduction.

walkinaround May 9th, 2008 04:56 PM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
Some of the Waterford display items cost so much it is incredible.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

harrods also works this way...displaying ridiculously priced items sells a lot of low priced souvenirs to tourists.

sarge56 May 9th, 2008 05:52 PM

I think we found the crystal cheaper at the Blarney Woolen Mills than we did at the Waterford factory.

But, I loved the Waterford tour. I enjoyed watching the glassblowers and cutters working. This was in '96 though, so maybe the tour is different today?

hester May 9th, 2008 06:19 PM

I enjoyed the shop at Waterford. The prices were not great but there were so many choices. They will ship your items home and engrave on them for you.

We found Waterford crystal specials in some stores around Dublin. They had a representative in the store and they also engraved the item.

We also went to the Dingle Crystal shop in Dingle. I really loved their crystal. The shop was wonderful!

arbutusbeach May 10th, 2008 04:36 AM

Thanks so much for all of your help! I am looking forward to the trip..