Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Ireland - Stay in Galway: Salthill, Oranmore or elsewhere?
Notices

Ireland - Stay in Galway: Salthill, Oranmore or elsewhere?

Jun 27th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Ireland - Stay in Galway: Salthill, Oranmore or elsewhere?

My husband and I will be back in Ireland on holiday in September. We're planning on staying two nights in or near Galway City, and would like to do some antique shopping, wander around the city, and definitely take in a night or two of greyhound racing. We've planned so that we'll be in the area on nights the dog track is open, so no worries there, but I am having a terrible time trying to decide where to stay. We will have a rental car, and our budget for B&B each night is around $100-$150 a night. We're happy to stay outside the city if it means our accommodations will be a little roomier (I've heard many of the city center B&Bs are tiny); however, I've seen wildly conflicting reviews for practically every area and I'm not sure what the city parking situation will be (we will be there Friday and Saturday and part of Sunday).. I'm considering Salthill, or even Oranmore, but just not sure. Anyone have any advice? FYI - we've been to Ireland thrice before, but never managed to make it into Galway before. This trip we'll be in Galway, Clifden, Achill Island, etc. Thank you!
Jun 27th, 2014, 08:27 PM

In '03 we stayed near Spiddal at An Caladhgearr Thatch Cottage. She has just 3 rooms so the 5 of us had the entire place. One of my favorite memories of that trip was us sitting in the lounge in our 'jammies before a peat fire, drinking Bailey's. http://www.look4lodging.com/973/viewcounty_house.html

Search this Thread